Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
People healthy and fit into their 80s, is it luck or diet, e
Previous  1  2

People who are healthy and fit, well into their 80s, is it more Mazel or other factors?
Yes, its other factors like eating healthy and being calm.  
 36%  [ 25 ]
No, it's Mazel. Everyone's lifespan is decided above.  
 45%  [ 31 ]
Other, please specify.  
 17%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 68

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 12:22 pm
If I look back at the lifestyles and lifespan of my grandparents and greatgdparents, I cant draw any conclusion. My dad is bh in his late 80s, looks at least 15 years younger, is physically active (still does all the gardening, repaints the house, etc.) is mentally sharp as ever. Until the past 10 years, he did not have a healthy diet at all (then got colon cancer and had to improve his diet!). He smoke for 20 years (then stopped cold turkey).
He has no health concerns bh ad 120. It cant be genetics, both his parents and most of his grand parents died young from various illnesses.
Only things that sets my father apart is his sense of humor. Every thing good or bad is an occasion to laugh. He enjoys life and is so pleasant to be around, so is always surrounded by children and grand children. I really think his positivity is the secret behind his good health.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 1:11 pm
I get so triggered by these "what's you're secret to longevity" articles. My father is so fit and healthy. He's loved an incredible life and has always eaten well, and gone to the gym at least 3 times a week and he is ageing so badly. It is so hard to watch his decline. He's not that old but he seems much older. Then I read some cra# about I always smile or I always exercise and it gets me so angry. Hashem decides. The end.

HeartyAppetite

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 1:57 pm
Most Holocaust survivors I know lived past their nineties. All set of grandparents on my side and dhs, as well as neighbors, and friends grandparents.
I wonder if hashem gave them extra years.

DustyDiamonds

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 2:05 pm
I’ve read studies that link good marriages and friendships to longevity, more than healthy food and exercise.

I believe it. People who have good relationships are kinder and happier, and those people usually live longer than the kvetchy folks who don’t have quality friendships.

bernadette

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 2:08 pm
HeartyAppetite wrote:
Most Holocaust survivors I know lived past their nineties. All set of grandparents on my side and dhs, as well as neighbors, and friends grandparents.
I wonder if hashem gave them extra years.

Could be. I'm a grandchild of 4 holocaust survivors, they all lived into their 90s and definitely they were not in healthy mode lifestyle. More on surviving mode. Think about eating anything, not the most healthy foods. They did not exercise, maybe a little swimming and walking here and there.
And they didn't like rebbes, so no brocho from any rabbi either

amother
Fuchsia

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 2:13 pm
amother OP wrote:
Have any diets been linked and researched as increasing longevity?

Honoring your parents
Non processed food / no aluminum pans / no combining heat + plastic (like supper on plastic plate with plastic forks. Soup in plastic bowls and with plastic spoons)

amother
Holly

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 2:56 pm
Its BOTH. Living healthy maximizes your genetic ability. And of course Hashemi knows the outcome and your choices before you are born and your time is preordained.

Comparable to nature vs nurture, its both.

amother
Catmint

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 3:01 pm
both

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 4:51 am
My grandmother was very overweight for most of her life. When she was nearing 90 she had much less of an appetite and lost a lot of weight. I don’t think she was considered overweight when she died in her 90’s but what difference did it make then? She lived most of her life obese and lived till she was in her 90’s.

amother
Topaz

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 6:30 am
amother Powderblue wrote:
People with good genes won't have to do anything special, but people with bad genes can work around their genes if they work very hard.

Most diseases of old age like arthritis, diabetes, heart disease, dementia, cancers are western diseases, which by definition means very much influenced by lifestyle.

Dementia is a western problem? What influences it?

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 6:51 am
Many say statins cause dementia by lowering cholesterol too much.

Flu shots for adults may contain mercury.

A high sugar diet.

amother
Cherry

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 7:29 am
#BestBubby wrote:
Many say statins cause dementia by lowering cholesterol too much.

Flu shots for adults may contain mercury.

A high sugar diet.

“Many say” isn’t a good start for a conversation on matters affecting life and health. Would you eat at a restaurant because “many say” the food is kosher?
There is one study suggesting a correlation between statins and dementia. It’s not a very reliable study due to the way it was conducted. The reason you cited - that statins lower cholesterol “too much” - makes no sense because people on statins have blood drawn regularly and lower the dosage or stop taking the statins when their cholesterol levels fall within normal ranges. As with all medications, don’t take statins or stop taking them without professional guidance.

Thimerosal is used as a preservative in some flu shots. The connection between that and Alzheimer’s is almost certainly nonexistent.

A high sugar diet is bad on many different levels. There also seems to be a connection between high rates of Alzheimer’s in countries with high consumption of meat. The popular high protein keto-type diets are not as beneficial as one might think.

An interesting area of research studies the fact that contact with bacteria, viruses and other microorganisms leads to increased immune development and less disease, including dementia. A Cambridge study found that industrialized countries where people have clean drinking water have have higher Alzheimer's rates than countries where less than half have access to clean water like Nigeria and Cambodia.

I’m not suggesting we start drinking contaminated water, but it’s a good idea to do your own research before falling for “many say”.

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 12:19 pm
Well if you you trust the cdc and pharmaceutical industry that have proven lied, go ahead.

The "normal" range for cholesterol and blood pressure mysteriously changed around 30 years ago.

Levels that were considered normal were now

Labeled high and statins were prescribed for cholesterol level that used to be considered normal.

If you want to believe that the mercury in flu shots
Have no relationship to dementia, go ahead.

But others are taking are avoiding vaccines and statins to prevent dementia.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 1:19 pm
My health-conscious mom would always tell us the story her neighbors, a couple. He was fit, active, healthy, always exercising ect. She was obese, never moved, chained smoked and ate garbage. He passed away years before her.

It’s so hard to know!

WitchKitty

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 1:54 pm
There are some Yerushalmi families that I know where the great grandfather has been smoking his whole life. These men are in their 80s and 90s, I think some might be even older, and are perfectly healthy. I really don't get how it works. Genes? Environment? Belief? They never thought smoking would be a problem... and it isn't a problem for them.
I know countless other people who had many, many problems from smoking.

My great grandmother was a holocaust survivor who lived until over 100. In her days, 'healthy'= fattening. The food she made was dripping with oil and overly salted.
Rabbi Tatz has an interesting shiur in which he claims that the whole idea of taking care of your health is only hishtadlus, which is why today we can eat 3 eggs a day without dying, but people a generation ago were dying from high colesterol. And they didn't die from all the margarine, carbs, and sugar. This theory might actually explain it. If you believe that you are okay with it, you will be Smile

amother
Dill

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 2:22 pm
DustyDiamonds wrote:
I’ve read studies that link good marriages and friendships to longevity, more than healthy food and exercise.

I believe it. People who have good relationships are kinder and happier, and those people usually live longer than the kvetchy folks who don’t have quality friendships.

I know someone slim, happy, kind with many amazing friendships, marriage, strong family relationships, and good genes, who just died of cancer. It isn’t that simple.

amother
Dill

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 2:25 pm
It has been scientifically proven that spending too much time on ima threads answering posts like these leads to a diminished lifespan. Hiding Tongue Out

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 4:27 pm
probably a combination of factors

amother
Powderblue

Post Sat, Apr 01 2023, 7:51 pm
amother Topaz wrote:
Dementia is a western problem? What influences it?
The same thing that causes all other western diseases. Inflammation, gut dysbiosis, chronic infections, environmental toxins, metabolic dysfunction, nutrient deficiencies, immune dysfunction.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Sat, Apr 01 2023, 8:09 pm
Regarding the Holocaust, isn't it likely that those who survived were those who had stronger and more resilient constitutions?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise