Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Need to close water and oven for 24 hours before kashering?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 25 2023, 9:35 pm
Do we need to close the sinks and not use them and the oven for 24 hours before switching to Pesach? Our sinks and faucets are not kasherable, so we cover the faucet and handle and put a sink insert- do we still need to wait 24 hours? The oven we will self clean--do we have to wait 24 hours before self cleaning it? Also do you have to clean the oven before self cleaning it? It's not that dirty.

NotInNJMommy

Post Sat, Mar 25 2023, 9:40 pm
If you aren't kashering the sink, etc. then there's no reason to wait. Just clean and cover. Not sure about time to wait to kasher oven or other details. (I don't use my regular oven for pesach)

ra_mom

Post Sat, Mar 25 2023, 9:42 pm
amother OP wrote:
Do we need to close the sinks and not use them and the oven for 24 hours before switching to Pesach? Our sinks and faucets are not kasherable, so we cover the faucet and handle and put a sink insert- do we still need to wait 24 hours? The oven we will self clean--do we have to wait 24 hours before self cleaning it? Also do you have to clean the oven before self cleaning it? It's not that dirty.

The only thing that can't happen for 24 hours prior to kashering is using hot water with chometz. Most people like to clean and leave unused for 24 hours except for hand washing with cold water.

amother
Brass

Post Sat, Mar 25 2023, 9:43 pm
For sinks, you can't use hot water for 24 hours before kashering. It's fine to use cold water. So just put a reminder or cover the hot water handle.
I don't remember about the oven. I don't think we wait any specified time before the self cleaning.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 25 2023, 9:48 pm
ra_mom wrote:
The only thing that can't happen for 24 hours prior to kashering is using hot water with chometz. Most people like to clean and leave unused for 24 hours except for hand washing with cold water.
We can't kasher our sink or faucet, do we still have to wait 24 hours?

ra_mom

Post Sat, Mar 25 2023, 10:02 pm
amother OP wrote:
We can't kasher our sink or faucet, do we still have to wait 24 hours?

If you're not going to use hot water on YT, then you don't have to kasher and don't have to wait.
But if you will be using hot water, you should ask a shaila on how to prepare the sinks. (My mom's sinks are porcelain but she still uses the boiling water like when kashering in order to prepare the metal drain/pipes/handles/faucet before covering, so she can use hot water on pesach).

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 7:13 pm
No, your oven does not have to sit 24 hours before self cleaning. Sink and dishwashers, yes.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 7:31 pm
ra_mom wrote:
If you're not going to use hot water on YT, then you don't have to kasher and don't have to wait.
But if you will be using hot water, you should ask a shaila on how to prepare the sinks. (My mom's sinks are porcelain but she still uses the boiling water like when kashering in order to prepare the metal drain/pipes/handles/faucet before covering, so she can use hot water on pesach).

But OP will use an insert for pesach (and use hot water there). Still wait 24h?

amother
Raspberry

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 9:03 pm
You can bleach the sink and clean it right away.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 9:07 pm
amother Aqua wrote:
But OP will use an insert for pesach (and use hot water there). Still wait 24h?

Read instructions under ceramic sink and sink faucet.
https://oukosher.org/passover/.....aucet
If you want to use hot water on pesach with dishes and food related items, there are steps involved.

amother
Crocus

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 9:13 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
No, your oven does not have to sit 24 hours before self cleaning. Sink and dishwashers, yes.

Sorry but I believe you are incorrect. You do indeed need to wait 24 hours since last time you used your oven before self cleaning.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 10:23 pm
amother Crocus wrote:
Sorry but I believe you are incorrect. You do indeed need to wait 24 hours since last time you used your oven before self cleaning.

Different opinions.

As for the sink, that answers the sink. What about cleaning the actual tap?

dena613

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 11:09 pm
Op please ask YOUR LOR.

I believe that if you are not kashering your sink there would be no reason to wait
You do not need to wait 24 hrs to self clean oven as far as I know

amother
DarkOrange

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 11:10 pm
amother Crocus wrote:

Never heard of this

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 11:27 pm
amother Crocus wrote:

Running the self-clean cycle on low eliminates the need to wait 24 hours for the oven to be out of use. But if your racks are not being included in the self-clean cycle (I don't recommend including them), then those do need to be left unused for 24 hours before running libun kal on the racks via high heat in the oven afterwards.
https://oukosher.org/passover/.....#oven
Not everybody kashers using self-clean though.

Last edited by ra_mom on Sun, Mar 26 2023, 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

cookier

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 11:36 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Running the self-clean cycle eliminates the need to wait 24 hours for the oven to be out of use.
https://oukosher.org/passover/.....#oven
Not everybody kashers using self-clean though.

cRc holds the same.

Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics