Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Managing being dairy free & GF on Pesach

Cressel

Post Sat, Mar 25 2023, 8:56 pm
Anyone have ideas for how to manage pesach being dairy free and gluten free? Pesach food already has such narrow options of what can be eaten, and having dietary restrictions only makes it harder.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sat, Mar 25 2023, 9:02 pm
What sort of dairy foods do you need subs for? I feel like most pesach recipes are already dairy free, with seudas in mind. Are there certain products you need alternatives for?

You can use non-gebroch recipes to keep things gluten free.

amother
Currant

Post Sat, Mar 25 2023, 9:03 pm
We don't really do dairy on Pesach and don't eat gebrachts, so besides for matza all out food is gluten free too.
Lots of meat, chicken, veggies, eggs, potatoes. Very basic, fresh and yummy. Yes, a little boring Smile

amother
Celeste

Post Sat, Mar 25 2023, 9:11 pm
Aside from matza and matza meal, I find gf Pesach is easier than the rest of the year! People often stock up on Pesach products because of this...

mushkamothers

Post Sat, Mar 25 2023, 9:12 pm
Tons of roasted veggies. I also got creative and made plantain tortillas. When I was GF and dairy free I actually ate like pesach all year round so there was no diff except on pesach I couldn't eat all the veggies as usual

https://grassfedsalsa.com/blog.....free/

amother
Anemone

Post Sat, Mar 25 2023, 9:14 pm
If you can have nuts and eggs, you'll be fine. You don't have any cheese and yogurt substitutes you usually have, but you can use almond milk as a substitute for milk in various things, and nut butters and eggs help with non-heavy protein alternatives to meat and chicken. Plus when you use almond flour in your baked goods, you've got protein there too.

amother
Sand

Post Sat, Mar 25 2023, 9:16 pm
Only chol hamoed breakfast lunch is the issue?

Homemade crackers and avocado
Fresh salads
Scrambled eggs
Hard boiled eggs
Loads of fruits, bananas, oranges, cantaloupe
Veggy soup for a hot lunch (butternut squash is heavy and filling)

Do you wash at all? Oat matzo? My family member only does matzo for Seder.

Rorie/full in free has loads of healthy recipes, you can bake muffins for snacking

pause

Post Sat, Mar 25 2023, 9:17 pm
We hardly use dairy on Pesach, only milk, and other than matza (which btw you can get GF), everything else is gluten free.
Meat, chicken, eggs, nuts, potatoes/potato starch, all kinds of fruits and veggies.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Sat, Mar 25 2023, 9:25 pm
Seems like it would be relatively easy

As others have posted, dairy is easily avoided and there is gluten free matzo.

In terms of nosh, there are many delicious desserts made with nut flour which is gluten free and might use a bit of potato starch.

What foods would you normally be eating that are gluten free?

amother
Tulip

Post Sat, Mar 25 2023, 10:07 pm
Are you newly gf df? Pesach is the easiest yom tov for my gf df child since we don’t do gebrokts and we don’t eat much dairy on pesach anyway, because we don’t have where to set up for dairy. Except for leben which is not a must at all, we eat mostly parve and meat over pesach.

Let us know which meals you need ideas for and what other ingredient restrictions you have.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Sat, Mar 25 2023, 10:35 pm
amother Celeste wrote:
Aside from matza and matza meal, I find gf Pesach is easier than the rest of the year! People often stock up on Pesach products because of this...
Yes! We don’t use prepared foods on Pesach but before and after Pesach the variety in the stores is just amazing. Especially the kosher l’Pesach soup and salad croutons. I wish they’d offer them all year!

doodlesmom

Post Sat, Mar 25 2023, 11:23 pm
Many gf eaters stock up on pesach food for all year round..pesach is your yom tov!

Ruchi

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 4:01 am
amother Stoneblue wrote:
Yes! We don’t use prepared foods on Pesach but before and after Pesach the variety in the stores is just amazing. Especially the kosher l’Pesach soup and salad croutons. I wish they’d offer them all year!

Goldbaums Soup croutons are available all year round

LisaS

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 4:36 am
Lots of fresh fruits and veggies, and frankly, less emphasis on food! Go on awesome walks, play games, buy good books, great divrei Torah, and make it all less about the food (you'll have to block out the recipe sections of all the frum magazines that want to convince you how important the food is.) We live in Israel, so we get things that are luxuries here like pineapple, salmon, all kinds of nuts and dried fruit, but whatever the special produce/meat/fish/etc is by you, get that.

Don't try to recreate the Pesach-dik recipes, as it's just a source of frustration. Everyone can live a week without noodles, cake, and pizza.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics