Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Section 8 - how much is the voucher worth?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 9:10 am
I was approved for Section 8 and was told that I will be getting my voucher within the next few months. Is there any way to know in advance the amount of the voucher?
I am eligible for a three-bedroom apartment in NY.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 9:18 am
You can go online and search your county
It shud be close to
3000 in kings county

amother
Blonde

Post Sat, Mar 25 2023, 10:50 pm
amother OP wrote:
I was approved for Section 8 and was told that I will be getting my voucher within the next few months. Is there any way to know in advance the amount of the voucher?
I am eligible for a three-bedroom apartment in NY.

Hi did you have an organization help you with the process ? I need help ASAP I'm divorced +2 in Brooklyn. anyone else have recommendations?

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Sat, Mar 25 2023, 11:12 pm
UJO

amother
Blonde

Post Sat, Mar 25 2023, 11:23 pm
amother Oxfordblue wrote:
UJO

I actually asked them they said they don't have new applications (whatever that means ?)

amother
Clematis

Post Sat, Mar 25 2023, 11:28 pm
amother Blonde wrote:
Hi did you have an organization help you with the process ? I need help ASAP I'm divorced +2 in Brooklyn. anyone else have recommendations?

Afaik there’s no help to be gotten with section 8 because the funds are so limited and the waiting lists are extremely long. The program has a weird system where they release a certain amount of applications for a certain area every once in a blue moon and you have to apply in the correct time frame and only then you might be placed on a years long waiting list. We’ve been on it for 8 years now and it doesn’t move much. Every once in a while we get a letter saying that we are now #xyz on the list.

amother
Plum

Post Sat, Mar 25 2023, 11:32 pm
amother Babyblue wrote:
You can go online and search your county
It shud be close to
3000 in kings county
nice! I have a 4 bedroom voucher in Lakewood and it’s less than 2k. I really hope they raise it soon.

giftedmom

Post Sat, Mar 25 2023, 11:34 pm
amother Blonde wrote:
I actually asked them they said they don't have new applications (whatever that means ?)

The city isn’t always accepting applications. That’s why many people first get in other places for a year and then transfer.

giftedmom

Post Sat, Mar 25 2023, 11:36 pm
amother Clematis wrote:
Afaik there’s no help to be gotten with section 8 because the funds are so limited and the waiting lists are extremely long. The program has a weird system where they release a certain amount of applications for a certain area every once in a blue moon and you have to apply in the correct time frame and only then you might be placed on a years long waiting list. We’ve been on it for 8 years now and it doesn’t move much. Every once in a while we get a letter saying that we are now #xyz on the list.

It’s a lottery system AFAIK. Some people get approved right away.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 1:00 am
amother Clematis wrote:

Omg YEARS? 😨

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 1:02 am
giftedmom wrote:
It’s a lottery system AFAIK. Some people get approved right away.

Wow so how do I go about it ? Not necessarily through a professional organization?

amother
Candycane

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 1:03 am
amother Plum wrote:
nice! I have a 4 bedroom voucher in Lakewood and it’s less than 2k. I really hope they raise it soon.

I thought it goes by how many people you are. I know someone in lakewood with nine kids and she gets $3,000 a month towards her rent.

amother
Strawberry

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 1:39 am
amother Candycane wrote:
I thought it goes by how many people you are. I know someone in lakewood with nine kids and she gets $3,000 a month towards her rent.

Not an expert but I believe regulations set the number of bedrooms that are required for each family size so a larger family would be required to rent a place with more bedrooms and so the amount for a larger apartment would be higher.

Some landlords don’t want to deal with the increased government regulations for Section 8

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 7:28 am
amother Candycane wrote:
For 9 kids and 2 parents she probably gets a 6 bedroom.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 7:31 am
amother Strawberry wrote:
Not an expert but I believe regulations set the number of bedrooms that are required for each family size so a larger family would be required to rent a place with more bedrooms and so the amount for a larger apartment would be higher.

Some landlords don’t want to deal with the increased government regulations for Section 8
Yes, section 8 always goes by number of bedrooms. But the Lakewood rate is way too low. They limit how much you can pay out of pocket as well.

amother
Clear

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 8:02 am
amother Blonde wrote:
Omg YEARS? 😨

When my parents got approved, it was after 14 years of being on the waiting list. And this was about 15 years ago, when it was supposedly easier.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 8:38 am
amother Clear wrote:
When my parents got approved, it was after 14 years of being on the waiting list. And this was about 15 years ago, when it was supposedly easier.
I’m in Lakewood and it took over 10 years to get on. But other people won a lottery and got on quickly. Depends on your mazel here, and I think there are lotteries everywhere.

giftedmom

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 8:48 am
amother Blonde wrote:
Wow so how do I go about it ? Not necessarily through a professional organization?

From what I know every once in a while there’s an announcement about an opening in an area and people apply in that area and some are approved through a lottery system

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 9:10 am
giftedmom wrote:
From what I know every once in a while there’s an announcement about an opening in an area and people apply in that area and some are approved through a lottery system

Sorry what do you guys mean it's a lottery system?
And technically how do I do it ?
I'm in Brooklyn
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating