Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Discipline Tips Needed

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 11:15 am
I'm taking over an 8th grade teacher after Pesach till the end of June.
I don't have teaching experience.. yet I wish to make this a positive experience for the students and myself. And I'm hopeful that if I am successful I will get this job for next year.
Any tips on getting a firm grip on an 8th grade class? How do I discipline and control the class? Are there any incentives /which incentive is appropriate in an 8th grade class? By nature I'm not a formal and strict type of person but more of a smiling friendly one.
All tips are really appreciated!

s1

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 11:44 am
Most important is to give over the impression that you are in control and that they cannot mess with you. Yes you are nice and you’ll have fun together but they cannot do whatever they want , they cannot walk all over you and they must do as you say. Repeat this to yourself until you really feel it.
If you are working on a project , make it something they are going to want to be proud of and work hard on. If it’s a haggadah or something, maybe make it into a competition for the best presented one. That way they’ll all be listening hard to get it completed.
Try make the lesson a variety of activities, no more than 5 mins of teacher talk at a time.
Good luck!

amother
Lightpink

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 11:53 am
Super important to be firm and even a bit strict in the beginning so they understand that you have it together and are in control. Once you establish that, easier to let down a bit but always maintain that sense of control in the classroom, this is your classroom. Hatzlacha!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 4:53 pm
amother Lightpink wrote:
Super important to be firm and even a bit strict in the beginning so they understand that you have it together and are in control. Once you establish that, easier to let down a bit but always maintain that sense of control in the classroom, this is your classroom. Hatzlacha!
I agree! How do I act firm and strict? What if a girl decides to ask questions just to challenge me? Or everyone starts laughing for no good reason? The possibilities are endless. How do I present a strict image to have the girls under my control?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 4:55 pm
s1 wrote:
Most important is to give over the impression that you are in control and that they cannot mess with you. Yes you are nice and you’ll have fun together but they cannot do whatever they want , they cannot walk all over you and they must do as you say. Repeat this to yourself until you really feel it.
If you are working on a project , make it something they are going to want to be proud of and work hard on. If it’s a haggadah or something, maybe make it into a competition for the best presented one. That way they’ll all be listening hard to get it completed.
Try make the lesson a variety of activities, no more than 5 mins of teacher talk at a time.
Good luck!
I,m great at lesson planning and delivering a well planned lesson. My fear is controlling the class from the first second.

s1

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 5:50 pm
amother OP wrote:
I,m great at lesson planning and delivering a well planned lesson. My fear is controlling the class from the first second.

Try using your eyes and your voice.
Look girls in the eye.
Don’t go higher pitched to shout, go lower instead. It sounds ‘scarier’ and more serious and like you mean it more.
If they talk , don’t say ‘please don’t talk’. First go stand right next to them, while you’re teaching/talking. If that doesn’t work, look at them seriously and say ‘there will be no talking while I’m speaking ‘ or ‘you will not talk while I am speaking’.
Have confidence in yourself! If you’re nervous they’ll sense it and play up. Don’t let them know you’ve not taught before. Pretend you’ve been doing it for twenty years.

amother
Lightpink

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 6:03 pm
It's not about what you say, it's how you act, how you portray yourself, your body language and vibe you give over. It's all about showing and doing, not saying. Show that you have control and act like you have control even if there is ever a moment where you feel you don't. Starting off the first day and starting off every day is super important, coming in and standing silently, waiting for them to settle down, getting started with a strong beginning, a hook/story/question/riddle, etc. so if they are engaged and they feel you know what you're doing, that's a good equation. For each scenario, there can be 100 other things that happen so it's not about what happens, it's about how you act/react/portray yourself. At all times, act composed, in control, and calm even if there may be a moment that it's not or you're doubting yourself. If they see you're confident, they'll think twice before challenging you. If they challenge you, always stay calm. Do not let your inside reflect your outside. If there's talking, again, no saying, just showing, which starts by looking at the speaker, making eye contact, approaching their desk if necc. If it happens again, then approach desk and whisper s/t like second time etc. but don't draw too much attention and focus should not be on control, it's just a few measures you may need to take but shouldn't overpower your lessons. The less you say when it comes to discipline, the better, and the more you can focus on the lesson.

You got this!!

amother
Sage

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 6:04 pm
1. Be overprepared
2. Prepare a real lesson - with a goal, motivation, subject matter, summary
3. involve the students!
4. make sure your material is relevant and interesting

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 6:20 pm
Thanks so much for your replies!!! !!! !!!

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 7:58 pm
I’ve subbed 8th grade multiple times. Here’s my strategy.

First day when you walk in, stand by the door, look at every girl and just generally scan the room, then randomly ask girls to do specific tasks such as “please pick that paper off of the floor” “please straiten your desk” etc. etc. It’s not to be mean, rather just to assert yourself. They’ll pick up a certain vibe from you, that you have a presence and that you can manage a classroom.

Create certain classroom protocols. Do you allow multiple girls to leave at one time? Do girls have to raise their hands or can they call out? I like to introduce myself and then outline the expectations of the classroom. For me, I say one girl out at a time but they don’t need to ask to leave. However, if you leave you must put a sticky note on my desk so we all know you are out. Once you return, remove it.

Other thank those two things I run a pretty laid back classroom. Lots of positive interactions with each student. Positive teacher-student relationship is vital!!

Oh one more thing, avoid power struggles at all costs!!

Hatzlacha.

momtra

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 8:21 pm
8th grade at this time of year… can be very challenging.
What subject?
I’ve been teaching for 15 plus years. All of the advice here is good, and as much as the being strict, in control, overprepared etc., is important, it’s also important to build a classroom culture. Show that the girls are important and therefore the subject matter is important.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 1:08 am
amother Antiquewhite wrote:
I’ve subbed 8th grade multiple times. Here’s my strategy.

First day when you walk in, stand by the door, look at every girl and just generally scan the room, then randomly ask girls to do specific tasks such as “please pick that paper off of the floor” “please straiten your desk” etc. etc. It’s not to be mean, rather just to assert yourself. They’ll pick up a certain vibe from you, that you have a presence and that you can manage a classroom.

Create certain classroom protocols. Do you allow multiple girls to leave at one time? Do girls have to raise their hands or can they call out? I like to introduce myself and then outline the expectations of the classroom. For me, I say one girl out at a time but they don’t need to ask to leave. However, if you leave you must put a sticky note on my desk so we all know you are out. Once you return, remove it.

Other thank those two things I run a pretty laid back classroom. Lots of positive interactions with each student. Positive teacher-student relationship is vital!!

Oh one more thing, avoid power struggles at all costs!!

Hatzlacha.
Thanks loads for posting!!

giftedmom

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 1:13 am
this is a fascinating conversation

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 1:14 am
momtra wrote:
8th grade at this time of year… can be very challenging.
What subject?
I’ve been teaching for 15 plus years. All of the advice here is good, and as much as the being strict, in control, overprepared etc., is important, it’s also important to build a classroom culture. Show that the girls are important and therefore the subject matter is important.
Thanks so much for your input!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics