Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Just turned one and will not...
Previous  1  2  3  Next

cbsp

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 5:52 pm
My kid needed feeding therapy - he was nursing exclusively and gagging on any bottle or food attempts.

Something in the eval "woke up" his mouth to food textures but he still refused any attempts for non nursing liquids.

The feeding therapist said that at 10 months it would be going backwards to teach him how to use a bottle. Instead she did the honey bear method (apparently it's a real thing). Take a clean and empty honey bear container (yes, we bought honey and transferred it) with a sturdy but somewhat flexible clear tubing that fits the hole (I think we bought it at home depot) to act as a straw. Slight pressure brings the liquid up the straw and helps until the baby figures out how to use it...

I will say that a later speech therapist noted that this child's palate (at age 4-5) didn't have the correct shape (can't remember if it's convex instead of concave or vice versa). She said that it could be as a result of not properly sucking (despite his nursing beautifully) OR it could be he couldn't suck as a result of the shape of the palate - there's a dispute among the experts as to which comes first.

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 6:00 pm
amother Nemesia wrote:
This is very concerning. Did you speak to your pediatrician?? Why are you offering a baby soda??
Please have a sippy cup of water available at all times night and day from when a baby is 6 months old. Before that baby should drink breastmilk or formula on demand. This is very important for all babies.
Offer her water on a spoon to get her used to water. Soda is not healthy and doesn’t help her at all.
Your baby sounds dehydrated. She should be having lots of wet diaper a a day! You should have to change her all the time. Please reach out to your pediatrician asap!

I would recommend building up to that by 1 year. At six months you can offer a few sips with solids to get baby used to the taste and prevent constipation. But milk feedings are very much primary at that age and offering too much water is still a safety concern.

amother
Nemesia

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 6:19 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
I would recommend building up to that by 1 year. At six months you can offer a few sips with solids to get baby used to the taste and prevent constipation. But milk feedings are very much primary at that age and offering too much water is still a safety concern.

Milk feedings are still primary but a sippy cup should be available to babies. My pediatrician reminds us of this at every appointment. From 6 months and on. Water should always be easily accessible. Of course it isn’t a replacement for milk feedings ( breastmilk, or formula) and solids.

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 6:28 pm
amother Nemesia wrote:
Milk feedings are still primary but a sippy cup should be available to babies. My pediatrician reminds us of this at every appointment. From 6 months and on. Water should always be easily accessible. Of course it isn’t a replacement for milk feedings ( breastmilk, or formula) and solids.

I don't agree with your pediatrician. A lot of pediatricians give outdated feeding advice. Parents trust them blindly even though feeding is not one of their areas of professional expertise.

amother
Nemesia

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 6:33 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
I don't agree with your pediatrician. A lot of pediatricians give outdated feeding advice. Parents trust them blindly even though feeding is not one of their areas of professional expertise.

My pediatrician is very progressive and bases everything off the latest research. He is constantly quoting the latest research and evolving even though he has been in practice for years. He is an excellent pediatrician.

Why are you opposed to having a sippy cup or open cup accessible to your 8 month old baby for example?Don’t you want your baby to have easy access to water if they are thirsty? This should be pretty straight forward. Not to replace feedings but to be able to quench thirst if necessary.

snowflake1

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 6:35 pm
Yes, I am in contact with my doctor we are still trying to figure it out. She has had an ultrasound of her bladder and kidneys and that looks fine. She can go a week like this and then have a few days with normal wet diapers.
As I said, I am still trying to figure out what this is about.
The reason we try soda is just to see if she’ll drink anything. But even that she is not too interested in
When she drinks, sometimes she takes in too much and chokes. This is on the rare occasions that she will take her sippy cup

I have tried about 10 Sippy cups and straw cups and from a spoon she will not take more than a few sips
She nurses A lot so that keeps her not dehydrated although, I wonder where the liquid goes because she doesn’t make

amother
Thistle

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 6:36 pm
Op I totally get you. We had the exact issue here. Baby never ever took a bottle or sippy cup, or paci. I was nursing 10x a day at 12 months and was going nuts. What ended up working for us was this honey bear cup. It worked because you can squeeze it into the kids mouth. I did it after skipping a feeding and offering salty snack so he was thirsty. First few days he only took like one sip and then we worked out way up really slowly.

https://a.co/d/9578aOG

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 6:38 pm
amother Nemesia wrote:
My pediatrician is very progressive and bases everything off the latest research. He is constantly quoting the latest research and evolving even though he has been in practice for years. He is an excellent pediatrician.

Why are you opposed to having a sippy cup accessible to your 8 month old baby for example?Don’t you want your baby to have easy access to water if they are thirsty? This should be pretty straight forward.

Six month olds should be nursing when they're thirsty. Breastmilk/formula continues to provide the correct ratio of water to nutrition when they're thirsty. They get a little water with meals for practice and exposure and it can also help fend off constipation. The meals are mostly for practice and exposure as well; they don't need much extra. Gradually, as they grow, they should start eating and drinking more.

amother
Nemesia

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 6:39 pm
snowflake1 wrote:
Yes, I am in contact with my doctor we are still trying to figure it out. She has had an ultrasound of her bladder and kidneys and that looks fine. She can go a week like this and then have a few days with normal wet diapers.
As I said, I am still trying to figure out what this is about.
The reason we try soda is just to see if she’ll drink anything. But even that she is not too interested in
When she drinks, sometimes she takes in too much and chokes. This is on the rare occasions that she will take her sippy cup

I have tried about 10 Sippy cups and straw cups and from a spoon she will not take more than a few sips
She nurses A lot so that keeps her not dehydrated although, I wonder where the liquid goes because she doesn’t make

Is she gaining weight??

amother
Nemesia

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 6:41 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
Six month olds should be nursing when they're thirsty. Breastmilk/formula continues to provide the correct ratio of water to nutrition when they're thirsty. They get a little water with meals for practice and exposure and it can also help fend off constipation. The meals are mostly for practice and exposure as well; they don't need much extra. Gradually, as they grow, they should start eating and drinking more.

Yes they should be nursing on demand and that definitely helps with thirst but as they get a bit older they should also have the option of water to quench thirst. Especially as they have more solids and snacks. If you give your baby a snack you don’t offer a drink to go with it? The water also helps prevent teeth decay. My babies still breastfeed many times a day. Water doesn’t replace feedings it’s in addition to.

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 6:44 pm
amother Nemesia wrote:
Yes they should be nursing on demand and that definitely helps with thirst but as they get a bit older they should also have the option of water to quench thirst. Especially as they have more solids and snacks. If you give your baby a snack you don’t offer a drink to go with it? The water also helps prevent teeth decay. My babies still breastfeed many times a day. Water doesn’t replace feedings it’s in addition to.

Yes, I offer water whenever I feed my baby solids, but it's months before I would offer it randomly or have them carry it around.

cbsp

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 6:46 pm
amother Thistle wrote:
Op I totally get you. We had the exact issue here. Baby never ever took a bottle or sippy cup, or paci. I was nursing 10x a day at 12 months and was going nuts. What ended up working for us was this honey bear cup. It worked because you can squeeze it into the kids mouth. I did it after skipping a feeding and offering salty snack so he was thirsty. First few days he only took like one sip and then we worked out way up really slowly.

https://a.co/d/9578aOG

So funny they sell this, we assembled it ourselves! This did the trick for our kid as well.

amother
Nemesia

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 6:49 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
Yes, I offer water whenever I feed my baby solids, but it's months before I would offer it randomly or have them carry it around.

That’s great that you offer water with solids. I hope your offering them breastmilk often as what do your babies do when thirsty?
Maybe speak to your pediatrician about this. Don’t trust a random ima. Wink

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 6:51 pm
amother Nemesia wrote:
That’s great that you offer water with solids. I hope your offering them breastmilk often as what do your babies do when thirsty?

My pediatrician is a nice guy, but I don't take his feeding advice. For example, he wanted me to delay introducing egg whites until one year for allergenic reasons. I did not do that.

amother
Thistle

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 6:54 pm
cbsp wrote:
So funny they sell this, we assembled it ourselves! This did the trick for our kid as well.
and everyone wants to know why I’m being cheap and using a recycled honey container instead of getting my kid a proper sippy cup!

amother
Thistle

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 6:57 pm
amother Nemesia wrote:
I did the same as brisket boss. She doesn’t need to speak to her pediatrician about this as this is the common practice and my pediatrician advises the same. Yes I offered my child breast milk every 2-3 hours and if we came in from the hot outdoors I would offer off schedule. They shouldn’t really be getting thirsty otherwise unless you give them food (and that’s when you can give a bit of water or I would usually nurse close to meals anyway)

amother
Nemesia

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 6:59 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
My pediatrician is a nice guy, but I don't take his feeding advice. For example, he wanted me to delay introducing egg whites until one year for allergenic reasons. I did not do that.

My pediatrician is very pro giving kids all types of foods from early on as that will help prevent allergies. The early exposure is beneficial to prevention of allergies.

amother
Nemesia

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 7:02 pm
amother Thistle wrote:
I did the same as brisket boss. She doesn’t need to speak to her pediatrician about this as this is the common practice and my pediatrician advises the same. Yes I offered my child breast milk every 2-3 hours and if we came in from the hot outdoors I would offer off schedule. They shouldn’t really be getting thirsty otherwise unless you give them food (and that’s when you can give a bit of water or I would usually nurse close to meals anyway)

I disagree. A baby can get thirsty at random times and it’s healthy for them to have access to a few sips if they need to. As an aside a benefit to offering babies sips of water ( only after 6 months) is that they love water and then become toddlers who love water and then become kids who love water. All my kids are big water drinkers.
To clarify, water shouldn’t be instead of feedings and breastmilk. It’s in addition to the regular breastmilk on demand and solids/ meals.

amother
Thistle

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 7:06 pm
amother Nemesia wrote:
I disagree. A baby can get thirsty at random times and it’s healthy for them to have access to a few sips if they need to. As an aside a benefit to offering babies sips of water ( only after 6 months) is that they love water and then become toddlers who love water and then become kids who love water. All my kids are big water drinkers.
To clarify, water shouldn’t be instead of feedings and breastmilk. It’s in addition to the regular breastmilk on demand and solids/ meals.
my child (and lots of others) would end up drinking less breastmilk if they have access to water when they feel like it which is why it is not the common practice to have it accessible at all times. My pediatrician specifically advised against this. And this has literally nothing to do with kids being great water drinkers later on. That is just a nature and anecdotal

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 7:10 pm
amother Nemesia wrote:

My kids love water too. I don't understand how any normal child can not love water, unless they are being given other options. Similarly to how there can be no desire for screen time if it is not introduced. Some people however seem to need less water and may go their whole lives drinking only a small amount, to the consternation of others.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics