Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Who transports the mother's helper?

justforfun87

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 6:28 pm
I need some perspective. If someone hires your 11 year old daughter to be a mother's helper do you expect them to pick her up? Imagine this was not clarified before when asking for the help.

** I find myself annoyed at this friend a lot and I'm trying to see if I'm being too miffed**

amother
Oleander

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 6:40 pm
Transports her upstate for a month's stay? To her home to help out for an hour?
Not clear what they situation is but they need arrange how to get the teen there.

Highstrung

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 6:43 pm
The person asking for the help should make sure the daughter has a ride back and forth. It shouldn’t be on you to worry about that. But I’d also make sure my daughter knows what her mode of transportation would be before she goes to the job.

Last edited by Highstrung on Sun, Mar 26 2023, 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

happy7

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 6:44 pm
If it is not walking distance, it is on the hiring family to provide transportation.
That is how it is with young babysitters.
Babysitters who have their own transportation are able to charge more for that convenience.
If it is within walking distance and it is light outside, there is an expectation that the girl will walk, but if it is dark, she must be driven or walked home.

hodeez

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 6:46 pm
happy7 wrote:
If it is not walking distance, it is on the hiring family to provide transportation.
That is how it is with young babysitters.
Babysitters who have their own transportation are able to charge more for that convenience.
If it is within walking distance and it is light outside, there is an expectation that the girl will walk, but if it is dark, she must be driven or walked home.

Agreed

amother
Cherry

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 6:55 pm
I think it depends.

When I babysat typically one of my parents would drive me if it weren't walking distance.

However the parents would always drive me home at night because logistically it made more sense - they were there - they were in the car anyway. It would have been stupid to have me call my parents and wait for their arrival and make them go out of the house to take me.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 6:58 pm
The person who hires needs to arrange the transport

justforfun87

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 7:15 pm
Ok wow and I am such a people pleaser I would think that if my kid was hired for a job of course as parent I should run them over there. After all it's not too helpful for a mother for her to shlep out and get the kid.

Shopmiami49

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 7:21 pm
When my kids babysit, the people usually pick them up and drop them off. If my kid is hired as a mother's helper, I try to do what I can to help facilitate, as I understand the struggle of schlepping out with young kids. That being said, I do it as long as it works for my family and is not crazy for me.

For ex, I have no problem dropping her off on the way home from school, but I would not go out to drive her after my kids ge thomr and need their mommy present.

imasinger

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 7:22 pm
I would never dream of expecting someone else to transport the kid who's there to help me.

Most of the time, these requests go to a kid within walking distance, though.

Girl@Heart

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 7:22 pm
I think if it’s a long term job like for a month it’s in the mothers helper. It’s like a counselor in a day camp. Everyone knows they can’t drive to work but it’s on them to show up on the regular.

If it’s a short term thing, like the week of erev pesach or two three days type of thing than I think it would be on you as the employing mom to provide transport.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children