Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
When is better to buy chicken for yom tov

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 6:57 pm
I want to cook chicken erev yt", which is wednesday. My question is, do I buy the chicken on monday/tuesday or do I buy the chicken earlier (like this week) and then freeze and defrost. Which is better? And how do you defrost the chicken, meaning how long does it take to fully defrost? Assume I don't have a microwave.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 7:15 pm
Never defrost raw chicken in microwave

Buy chicken anytime (tomorrow) freeze and defrost im fridge on Tuesday night, on counter Wednesday morning

Ooc do you only cook from fresh chicken?

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 7:17 pm
amother Seafoam wrote:
Never defrost raw chicken in microwave

Buy chicken anytime (tomorrow) freeze and defrost im fridge on Tuesday night, on counter Wednesday morning

Ooc do you only cook from fresh chicken?

Even better- in the fridge for 2 days

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 7:19 pm
Buy chicken now. You can even season it and arrange it in its baking pan before sticking in tbe freezer. Then take out of freezer Monday eve before bed. Forget about it until Wednesday. Bake fresh erev YT.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 7:41 pm
Ra_mom, if I go with your method, is pre-seasoning with duck sauce and freezing ok? what about if I am doing potato stick chicken? Tysm.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 8:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
Ra_mom, if I go with your method, is pre-seasoning with duck sauce and freezing ok? what about if I am doing potato stick chicken? Tysm.

Either one is fine to freeze ready and raw. As long as you have a clean pesach workspace to work from, you can prep and then just freeze now (sometimes I just prep over a disposable tablecloth in the laundry room if I'm not ready with a pesach workspace).

newinbp

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 6:21 pm
This reminds me of the meme maybe it was from sukkos? Gave me a good laugh something like is today the day to buy the fish? Cook the fish? Warm the fish? Chuck the fish? Or something like that anyone can share and lighten the pre pesach mood Wink
For the record op I'm learning from your post and I've called numerous balabustas to ask this exact question. So you are not alone! Chag sameach Smile

amother
Holly

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 6:26 pm
I had the same question.
I'm wondering why isn't anyone telling you to buy it next week Monday/Tuesady? Instead of freezing and then defrosting.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 7:04 pm
amother Holly wrote:
I had the same question.
I'm wondering why isn't anyone telling you to buy it next week Monday/Tuesady? Instead of freezing and then defrosting.

Because I’d never consider going to a kosher supermarket on erev Yom tov. That’s outside of my comfort zone. Having everything I need ready is the way to go

amother
Mintcream

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 7:11 pm
Fresh chicken definitely has the advantage taste wise.
If convenience is not a factor then go with fresh.
However if you want to cross it off your list already than you can prep and freeze and it will be fine.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics