Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
S/o dd bought a smartphone-mine is using my old one

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 1:27 am
How do I set it up smartly and safely. How do I know what to say yes to and what not?
Is WhatsApp ok? Is telegram ok? Email? How do I set up so I know what she’s doing?
How do I set up parental controls?

amother
Cognac

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 9:15 am
Step one is to go with the phone to TAG, they will put in filters and answer your questions

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 9:19 am
amother Cognac wrote:
Step one is to go with the phone to TAG, they will put in filters and answer your questions

TAG is not the only option. There are other filters as well.
You can use parental controls, screen time limits, etc. My two older kids both have smartphones. They have a certain amount of time per day that they can use their phones, and then apps start locking. If they want to have more time, they need to send a request to my husband’s phone. If they want to download an app, they need to send a request.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 10:27 am
Ema of 5 wrote:
You can use parental controls, screen time limits, etc. My two older kids both have smartphones. They have a certain amount of time per day that they can use their phones, and then apps start locking. If they want to have more time, they need to send a request to my husband’s phone. If they want to download an app, they need to send a request.

Thank you
Can I ask how to do that?
What do I download or who can I call to teach me?

cuffs

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 10:30 am
amother OP wrote:
How do I set it up smartly and safely. How do I know what to say yes to and what not?
Is WhatsApp ok? Is telegram ok? Email? How do I set up so I know what she’s doing?
How do I set up parental controls?

First question is what kind of smartphone, Apple? Or something else? If Apple then it’s simple you can do it yourself

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 11:29 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you
Can I ask how to do that?
What do I download or who can I call to teach me?

There’s a reason my husband did it and not me 😂 I don’t know about other phones, but apple it’s all in settings I think. I’m sure you can Google, or ask a tech savvy friend. I’m sorry I can’t be more helpful.

Edit: this is the first thing that came up when I did a Google search
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201304

amother
Narcissus

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 11:40 am
The school RYNJ has a big page with technology advice and links, and they have some filter options.

https://www.rynj.org/apps/page.....15422

On the right hand side, there are more links to pages they have, including some for specific app advice, like Instagram.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 11:44 am
For $15 per year kaspersky safe kids will filter it according to the settings you choose, and the best part-they send you a detailed report of all the websites visited
She can request permission to visit a site that is blocked by your guidelines set (the request comes to the parents phone within seconds), and if you agree, you just click ok (after entering your kaspersky password). She would need permission to install apps as well

ETA theres a free version as well but that one doesnt send you the activity reports.
Also, its the same price no matter how many devices you put it on. I have it on at least 5...

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 11:48 am
amother NeonYellow wrote:
For $15 per year kaspersky safe kids will filter it according to the settings you choose, and the best part-they send you a detailed report of all the websites visited

What about apps? And screen time? My husband controls everything from his phone. He can lock and unlock their phones from his. Also, I believe their browsers are disabled.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 11:49 am
Ema of 5 wrote:
What about apps? And screen time? My husband controls everything from his phone. He can lock and unlock their phones from his. Also, I believe their browsers are disabled.

Yes theres screen time things as well but im not familiar with them as I dont use them.
Apps also are tracked
Eta But you cant lock their phone.
Not sure about disabling browser, I never tried because im ok with it under the filter and because I get reports

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 12:06 pm
Telegram should be a hard no! Do you know you can search nearby users and just message them and they can message you? You don't need to have their numbers saved or even know their number. I had no idea till someone showed me. You can join groups that have p+rn videos posted, it's really easy to search for groups. It's an open sewer.
In whatsapp (as far as I know) you can't just search for groups. You need to be added to one or join via a specific link.

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 12:20 pm
I would avoid as much social media as possible. Snapchat and Instagram are entire virtual worlds where teens live and do unhealthy things while the adults in their lives are oblivious.

Please be aware that filters cannot stop Bluetooth and SD cards from downloading/playing anything. Only TAG filter can because it breaks the video player.

Look for a filter that blocks websites and apps rather than ones that let you know after the fact what was visited. I use mobicip because for one price you can filter lots of devices. Some filters will only do Android, mobicip also does iPhone. It's not perfect but it allows you to see their location, shut off their devices spontaneously, and block apps and websites, except the ones you allow. It's tight and took me a while to figure out.
If you plan to use Google Family Link though on your Android, mobicip doesn't allow it, while on an iPhone I use the mobicip as a second layer of defense to reinforce the already built in screen time filter.

mizle10

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 12:39 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:

TAG is not a filter. It's an organisation that will recommend filters, help you set up filters and customize according to your needs.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 1:29 pm
mizle10 wrote:
TAG is not a filter. It's an organisation that will recommend filters, help you set up filters and customize according to your needs.

Sorry, I meant there are other options for installing filters.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 3:39 pm
Pls pls don’t give a child access to telegram. The groups on there that people can join, can be extremely harmful. I know a personal account of a Bais Yaakov girl (already 20+) who managed to save herself from unwanted characters, at the last second… Telegram can be very dodgy, even with the ‘strongest’ of people…
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics