Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Keeping baby happy, long car ride

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 10:26 am
We have an 8 hour driving trip coming up to get to my parents for Pesach.

I have a baby who just turned one and I'm looking for tips from those who have BTDT on how to keep her as happy as possible on this ride.

Originally we were going to drive through the night to make it easier on her, HOWEVER! Man plans and G-d laughs and that night is going to be mikvah night. So we'll be doing this by day.

I'm planning to sit in the back with her so she can be distracted as needed, but not too hopeful on that working, and I also get carsick so don't think I can do extensive book reading etc.

amother
Mulberry

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 10:59 am
I would still do the night… even just partially. Like leave at midnight…

amother
Quince

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 11:04 am
The baby will likely sleep a lot on the ride,and less that night.

Your best bet is to plan to be flexible with your driving schedule. Keep goin qhen she's asleep, stop and walk arpund when she's up and gets kvetchy, even for five minutes, when you can.

I would bring an extra tissue box or two and just let her pull and throw, unless she will eat them. Recite books you know by heart as you show them to her. And bring a container or toys and animals she can hold and play with that are one piece. If you don't have a mirror for the car seat, I'd get one. And expect to sing. You can share that job with dh.

amother
Begonia

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 11:08 am
Why would you just not leave at night?
You can go to mikvah, be with dh, and leave by midnight.

I did the drive many times to montreal from NY with a 1 year old- both at night and day. and night is so much easier. let ur baby sleep normally

amother
Winterberry

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 11:12 am
amother Begonia wrote:
Why would you just not leave at night?
You can go to mikvah, be with dh, and leave by midnight.

I did the drive many times to montreal from NY with a 1 year old- both at night and day. and night is so much easier. let ur baby sleep normally

This. So much easier. And then you guys can both take turns driving with the other one sleeping rather than one of you needing to be awake and entertain baby. Mikvah night is nice but I wouldn’t be able to enjoy myself fully and I’m a relaxed way (for hours) knowing that there’s a full day of driving ahead.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics