Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
What do you do to make the Seder fun?
Previous  1  2

Happy247

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 12:28 pm
amother Alyssum wrote:
Can you share which ones? My kids would love hilarious illustrations.

This was my favorite as a kid, and still is a favorite at my parents house. Every year we’d find details we haven’t noticed in prior years. It’s quite old don’t know if local stores still sell. Had a hard time finding it online.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/374288223112

I think this one is also good
https://www.shopeichlers.com/p.....D_BwE

This looks like the English version of the above
https://www.amazon.com/Lets-Fr.....1479/

Honestly just browse the selection at your local Judaica. There are so many out there!

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 12:31 pm
Happy247 wrote:
This was my favorite as a kid, and still is a favorite at my parents house. Every year we’d find details we haven’t noticed in prior years. It’s quite old don’t know if local stores still sell. Had a hard time finding it online.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/374288223112

I think this one is also good
https://www.shopeichlers.com/p.....D_BwE

This looks like the English version of the above
https://www.amazon.com/Lets-Fr.....61479

Honestly just browse the selection at your local Judaica. There are so many out there!

Is that bit of face showing in the corner with a pacifier stuck in it--female??

Laugh

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 12:40 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
Is that bit of face showing in the corner with a pacifier stuck in it--female??

Laugh

Na, they only gave birth to male grandchildren.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 12:44 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
My FIL gives candy for asking questions rather than for answering questions. There is not much emphasis on kids 'saying over' what they have learned. We have a good inquisitive time.

Love that!

amother
Lightblue

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 1:29 pm
The makkos shtick is for during maggid, around when the kids with no zitsflesih lose it, about 20 minutes before makkos- or 10 minutes before PESACH MATZA MARROR and there's so much reading they needs something to do to stay at the table and not miss out on the divrei torah. We also don't necessarily do all the shtick at one seder.

Anything we can do to make our kids feel invested in prep for the seder beforehand, even if it's shtick, helps them be engaged during the seder because they have ownership in it.
And they find it funny to read the SAME divrei torah from Abba's 5th grade haggada that they wrote in THEIR 5th grade haggada.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 2:25 pm
I responded much further up in this thread. I just wanted to add that we also run our Seder by going around the table and everyone taking turns reading the hagada so nobody gets lost and everybody gets a chance to read. It's so nice to hear my 6-year-old sounding out the words and waiting for his turn to read.

That's also the way my father does his Seder. We are all.ar the same.plave this way. And really enjoy it.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 3:40 pm
We have magid in the living room, leaning on couches, with Seder plates on small side tables. It really feels different, and it's conducive to conversation. Everyone is expected to participate with a dvar Torah, but there's no pressure.

I put out a full vegetable platter for karpas, and the kids nibble as needed.

We sing quite a bit.

I think every Seder is enhanced by having a 4 year old. They're just old enough to understand the story, and young enough to ask questions about everything. It's great.

amother
Yarrow

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 4:20 pm
Almost anything you do to make it fun takes time and makes the Seder even longer than it already is. Therefore, we limit our "fun" additions to the decor. Sorry, no games, no cosplays, no skits, no contests, nothing but the traditional songs at the end (which makes no sense because the kiddies are asleep by then). If we could substitute some fun stuff for the endless required liturgy, that would be a different story entirely, but some of us would like to get to sleep before Netz. After all, tomorrow is another day.

amother
Nemesia

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 6:08 am
amother Azure wrote:
We have magid in the living room, leaning on couches, with Seder plates on small side tables. It really feels different, and it's conducive to conversation. Everyone is expected to participate with a dvar Torah, but there's no pressure.

I put out a full vegetable platter for karpas, and the kids nibble as needed.

We sing quite a bit.

I think every Seder is enhanced by having a 4 year old. They're just old enough to understand the story, and young enough to ask questions about everything. It's great.

Planning on doing this for the whole seder, starting this year, be'ezrat HaShem! I'm very excited for it. We'll use the main table as a buffet with everything set up, and bring things over to the couch as needed.
Looking forward to seeing how it ends up working out. This is our second year doing the Seder solo, so we're looking to start our own derech.

gottago

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 9:50 am
amother Alyssum wrote:
Can you share which ones? My kids would love hilarious illustrations.

We love the Mosaica Hagaddah and the Artscroll youth hagaddah.

shanie5

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 6:41 pm
My grandchildren love coming to us since we started enhancing our seder with props to make it more kid friendly.

We hang blue plastic tablecloths in the doorways and tape sea creatures on them-walking thru the yam suf. Blue tablecloth (this year I bought a fabric that looks like water for a tablecloth) and a brown runner for the split sea.
We have little finger puppets for the ma nishtana.
For avodim hayinu we have one child with a towel and headband on his/her head to be a mitzri and they stand over the other kids to make them "work". The work has been anything from preteding to dig with toy shovels to cleaning up a small mess they made before the seder. This year 12 yr old dd had me buy little lego sets from the $ store. The work will be "building" their lego.
All different ideas for all 10 makos. Plus masks which they will color before yomtov.
And more.

We have a box labeled "seder fun". Kids love it!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics