Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
14 month old doesn't crawl or pull to stand yet

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 11:43 am
She wasn't approved for therapy
anyone has tips for me to strengthen her legs to get her to crawl and pull to stand and walk ?
she currently scoots while sitting

giftedmom

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 11:45 am
Why wasn’t she approved?

amother
Whitewash

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 11:45 am
amother OP wrote:
She wasn't approved for therapy
anyone has tips for me to strengthen her legs to get her to crawl and pull to stand and walk ?
she currently scoots while sitting

try getting her a walker or a toy where she needs to pull herself up to see it... I like the vtech sit to stand walker ... hotzlocha!

mha3484

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 11:48 am
I would get evaluated for PT from a clinic that takes your health insurance vs EI. One of my kids was like a wet noodle when you tried to stand him up at 9 months. He could not support his weight. He had fairly low tone and benefited a lot from PT. I went to the rehab services department of my local hospital and they took our insurance. Was a great experience.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 11:49 am
Some kids don't crawl. Don't listen to the alarmists- in fact, none of my kids crawled, and at 14 months they all scooted while sitting, and they're all perfectly fine without intervention. Use your motherly instinct and if your kid seems fine, just let her be.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 11:51 am
The Leapfrog table is great for getting them to pull up. My son's PT lent us one when he had similar issues to what you're describing.

amother
Offwhite

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 11:52 am
I had a daughter just like that. Started scooting sitting at 12 months. Pulled up at 15 months. Walked at 18.5 months. Never crawled until later. She never got PT, just needed her time. She’s a preteen now and can roller blade and play elimination just fine.

I assume your daughter has okay muscle tone if she didn’t get approved. Does she feel floppy or just won’t do the things on her own?

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 12:03 pm
My dd scooted till 14 months and started pulling up around that time. Started walking holding on 16 months I made her practice crawling up steps and reminded her to alternate her feet so when she started walking 18.5 months she started crawling lol

mushkamothers

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 12:03 pm
amother Cantaloupe wrote:
Some kids don't crawl. Don't listen to the alarmists- in fact, none of my kids crawled, and at 14 months they all scooted while sitting, and they're all perfectly fine without intervention. Use your motherly instinct and if your kid seems fine, just let her be.

I'm all for motherly instinct but it also needs to be educated. Crawling is very important and shouldn't be skipped. Do some kids skip it? Yes. Should they? No. (What is "fine"? Everyone walks eventually. But crawling contributes to brain development too. Why can't our kids be better than fine?)

There's lots of resources on IG at milestones.and.motherhood and she sells short ebooks too that teach you how to do the exercises at home. And yes try getting professional help too

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 12:15 pm
She wasn't approved since the EI in Rockland County is down the drain.
The lady from the county told me they look for kids delayed in all areas and since my daughter has great fine motor and speech she can't get approved. the pt that evaulated thought shes a bit stiff but resistant
I have for her a walker and even leave her in her crib a few extra minutes so that she should get frustrated and try to pull up at the bars ...
I will get her privately evaluated after pesach but figured I should get some tips since I will be spending lots of time now ...

yes I know the importance of crawling thats why I am asking for tips
this is new for me since my older ones crawled and by now started taking steps...

amother
Quince

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 12:22 pm
My son scooted around on his behind till he got therapy. He never used his arms so he wasnt strong enough to even pull up. You have to do some exercises to at least strengthen her arms

amother
Brickred

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 1:51 pm
Qualifying for EI is quantitative not qualitative. So "low muscle tone" or "stiff" isn't going to help you qualify. I second the idea to go to an outpatient PT.

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 2:01 pm
Keep child in onesie, easier to crawl.

Put child on stomach, not sitting, and move toys out
Of reach.

Put child in standing position by the couch.

Put child on stomach, then try to move to hands and knees position.

Get play table that you stand to do activities.

Sit on floor, hold child, putting child's hands flat on the floor, tilt child to put weight on hands.

amother
Leaf

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 3:13 pm
amother OP wrote:
She wasn't approved since the EI in Rockland County is down the drain.
The lady from the county told me they look for kids delayed in all areas and since my daughter has great fine motor and speech she can't get approved. the pt that evaulated thought shes a bit stiff but resistant
I have for her a walker and even leave her in her crib a few extra minutes so that she should get frustrated and try to pull up at the bars ...
I will get her privately evaluated after pesach but figured I should get some tips since I will be spending lots of time now ...

yes I know the importance of crawling thats why I am asking for tips
this is new for me since my older ones crawled and by now started taking steps...

you can help her - here's what my pt does with my son:
put child in all 4's position
rock back and forth
help them by moving hand foot hand foot etc.. repeat etc..

pull to stand:
put them near couch or lower object. on knees, hands up, lift one foot and then second, repeat.. you basically help them do what is needed
over yt is great time to practice and get other kids involved.. having toys in front of them keeps them motivated and excited, hatzlacha

Pandabeer

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 3:26 pm
I had 2 kids who where sitting till 15 moths and then started scooting around while sitting - they started walking 21 and 23 months and both are good bh
I taught them crawling later as it Is important for the brain
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics