Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
My Son is short
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 4:37 pm
My son is 8, and BH he is "on" the charts for height, but he's bounced between the 1st and 5th percentile, and very short compared to other kids his age. I happen to be short too. I asked his pediatrician recently about possibly seeing an endocrinologist to look into growth hormones, but he told me my son has always trended upwards on the chart, and since my husband is 6 ft and my in-law family is on the taller side, he didn't think it was necessary. However, my son is overall an underdog in a lot of ways, academically, socially etc, and I would hate if his height ended up being something in addition to his other issues that cause him grief as he grows older.
I guess why I'm here, is I was wondering if other people had children who started out very short on the chart, and eventually had a growth spurt?
Did anyone here have a pediatrician that didnt encourage looking into growth hormones and you now regret it? Or you went anyway and did growth hormones and are now happy with the decision, that you went with your instinct?
Those who pushed for growth hormones, are you happy you did? Any regrets?
Would love to hear experiences from other moms in similar situations.
Thanks in advance

amother
Dill

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 4:39 pm
Op I’m selling a supply of natural growth treatment with good results. I bought it for my own son but since he’s starting hormone shots I decided to pause this treatment for now.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 4:45 pm
There's no harm in checking his hormone levels to see if he's deficient. Go to an endocrinologist. There's initial bloodwork that's done in office and another few hour long one that's done in the hospital.
I would start there.

I'm short and my husband is 6ft though most of his siblings are short. One of my sons was short and bloodwork showed a deficiency. I'm glad we are able to treat it.

Why shouldn't you know?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 4:48 pm
amother Dill wrote:
Op I’m selling a supply of natural growth treatment with good results. I bought it for my own son but since he’s starting hormone shots I decided to pause this treatment for now.

Can I ask why you aren't continuing with the natural treatment if it was working?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 4:51 pm
amother Ivory wrote:
There's no harm in checking his hormone levels to see if he's deficient. Go to an endocrinologist. There's initial bloodwork that's done in office and another few hour long one that's done in the hospital.
I would start there.

I'm short and my husband is 6ft though most of his siblings are short. One of my sons was short and bloodwork showed a deficiency. I'm glad we are able to treat it.

Why shouldn't you know?

Thanks so much for your reply. I honestly had no idea that it works like this, I've actually never been to an endo for myself or my kids. I didn't realize you can know one way or the other with a blood test! I thought it was like an opinion of the endo whether it is or isn't necessary, not that a blood test can prove if the deficiency is there in black or white.
Once you knew there was a deficiency, how long until you started the hormone treatment? How long until you saw results? My son is 8- is he young to go to the endo or is this a good time to start?
Sorry for all the questions, I am totally out-to-lunch in this area.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 4:52 pm
Go to an endocrinologist you want them to start documenting.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 5:00 pm
I’m curious how tall he is. My son is the same age and is short and very petite. He definitely has my genes - I’m short but not abnormally short (I’m over 5 feet). My husband’s family is tall but he doesn’t seem to have those genes.

My son has always been low on the charts and I’ve always wondered if I should be concerned. I would like him to end up a decent height for a male, even if on the shorter side.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 5:06 pm
I was very short as a child, had a growth spurt at 14 and am now 5'2". My son, otoh, was very short as a child, the endocrinologist assured us he would be at least 5'6" and he ended up 5'3". He found a wife anyhow. Wink

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 5:15 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks so much for your reply. I honestly had no idea that it works like this, I've actually never been to an endo for myself or my kids. I didn't realize you can know one way or the other with a blood test! I thought it was like an opinion of the endo whether it is or isn't necessary, not that a blood test can prove if the deficiency is there in black or white.
Once you knew there was a deficiency, how long until you started the hormone treatment? How long until you saw results? My son is 8- is he young to go to the endo or is this a good time to start?
Sorry for all the questions, I am totally out-to-lunch in this area.

I took him to an endocrinologist probably at 9 just for an evaluation. We discussed whether to do the long bloodwork but at that time decided we still had time. He was 2 years behind in bone age and his height wasn't bothering him at all. So I just let it be.
At around 12 I revisited the issue as it was starting to bother him. His younger brother was getting taller than him. And I felt like I was running out of time.
We started GH as soon as insurance approved it which was pretty much right away as he was deficient.
He's been on it 2 years and grew a lot. His endocrinologist is very happy with his progress. He's still not tall but is a good few inches more than his brother 2 years his junior who's also growning.
We follow up every 4 months and the endocrinologist adjusts the dose if necessary.
We recently switched to weekly shots instead of daily and that makes it a lot easier. But my son says he has no regrets, he would even be fine doing daily because he sees great results.

amother
Dill

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 5:15 pm
amother OP wrote:
Can I ask why you aren't continuing with the natural treatment if it was working?

I stopped almost right after starting as I didn’t know when the hormones would become available. I don’t want to make him take drops and prick him at the same time.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 5:17 pm
amother Fuchsia wrote:
I was very short as a child, had a growth spurt at 14 and am now 5'2". My son, otoh, was very short as a child, the endocrinologist assured us he would be at least 5'6" and he ended up 5'3". He found a wife anyhow. Wink

B"h for him.
I'm 5'1" and would not want my son to be 5'3" if I can help it. There's no harm to check if there's a deficiency.
The dilemma begins if there's no deficiency. Then what. Then you need to decide with the endo if GH will be beneficial at all. Some say it will some say it won't.

amother
DarkRed

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 5:18 pm
I know some very happy, successful short people

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 5:18 pm
amother DarkRed wrote:
I know some very happy, successful short people

Of course! It's not a contradiction. But if there's anything you can do to help, why not.

mimi4

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 5:21 pm
just curious what are the side effects or risks of growth hormones? like why not?

amother
Dill

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 5:26 pm
mimi4 wrote:
just curious what are the side effects or risks of growth hormones? like why not?

It really depends if there’s a deficiency

amother
DarkGray

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 5:53 pm
Ask the endo or pediatrician for a full thyroid panel. Hypothyroidism can be a cause of short stature as well as academic and athletic difficulties.

amother
Dill

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 5:58 pm
amother DarkGray wrote:
Ask the endo or pediatrician for a full thyroid panel. Hypothyroidism can be a cause of short stature as well as academic and athletic difficulties.

A good endo will also check for other causes like crohns and celiac. My brother grew a lot after being treated for crohns.

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 6:11 pm
I am really surprised that your doctor did not suggest that your son be seen by a pediatric endroconolgist. Even if there is nothing medically wrong, it is still very concerning that he may grow up to be very short.

The first thing either the pediatrician or the endocrinologist should do is order a bone age x ray. This will help the doctor be able to predict what your son's adult height will be. A delayed bone age, in this case, would mean that your son has more years to grow which will ultimately make him taller.

The SECOND step is testing for deficiency in growth hormone. I am not sure but I think there is more than one kind of test, with the more accurate test taking over three hours.

Your endroconolgist will then evaluate the situation, taking parents heights, age of menarche, test results etc all into consideration and you can then discuss what your options would be.

Sometimes they can give growth hormones even though your child is not deficient, though it's harder to get it approved by insurance.

In any case, the first step here is to ask your pediatrician for a recommendation for a GOOD pediatric endroconolgist and make an appointment. The good ones have a six month waiting list so call first thing tomorrow! There is no downside in getting your son evaluated, you can only gain.

amother
DarkGray

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 6:15 pm
amother Dill wrote:
A good endo will also check for other causes like crohns and celiac. My brother grew a lot after being treated for crohns.
True. Just something about the way OP described her son made me think thyroid. Especially academic difficulties.

amother
Dill

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 6:17 pm
amother DarkGray wrote:
True. Just something about the way OP described her son made me think thyroid. Especially academic difficulties.

Crohns can actually cause that as well
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics