Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
HEALTHY Pesach recipes?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 12:01 pm
Please include baked goods and non veggie sides. Tia

Frumwithallergies

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 12:05 pm
amother OP wrote:
Please include baked goods and non veggie sides. Tia

Following

I was going to go more with LOL LOL
But figured I will keep an open mind.
Maybe meringue? KLP pavlova? Fruit compote?

Please let us know what your chumrot and edible restrictions are so we don't give you recipes you cannot eat.

scruffy

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 12:09 pm
How healthy are you looking for?

I like these carrot muffins because they're filling due to the almond flour content, and they're not overly sweet, but I wouldn't consider them a health food.

https://www.kosher.com/recipe/.....-4014

Most non veggie sides on Pesach are going to be empty calories. It's just how it is.

I try to serve a variety of colorful vegetables so it doesn't get too old.

iyar

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 12:10 pm
Peel carrot. Slice. Repeat with cucumber.
Seriously OP, I'm thinking more like Frumwithallergies.
Healthy Pesach recipes is an oxymoron.

amother
Ballota

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 12:15 pm
How do you define health?

I too am intrigued.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 12:38 pm
Healthy pesach recipes is an oxymoron? I think we eat the healthiest on pesach from anytime in the year!

Baked good with almond and coconut flour, sweetened with honey, maple syrup or date sugar. Coconut, olive or avocado oils.

Lots of salads and veggie sides. Lots of proteins with minimal added ingredients.

Almost nothing processes. I love pesach food.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 12:39 pm
We enjoy food in its natural form so for starch side dishes things like hasselback potatoes (pull off the crispy chips), roasted colorful baby potatoes, a sweet potato salad, colorful baked veggie fries, quinoa salad and things like that.

For main dishes things like grilled chicken, roast beef, corned beef, all beef burgers (no fillers).

Veggie sides are roasted vegetables, zoodles salad, lots of colorful fresh salads.

Baked apples and poached pears are delicious along with compote. Sometimes I'll play around with a more natural apple crumble.

My baked goods are not healthy, they're confections. Moderation is key and then they aren't necessarily unhealthy.

Amarante

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 12:40 pm
Also why would Pesach recipes be LESS healthy as flour isn't generally considered to be a healthiest choice.

Vegetables are healthy; fruit is healthy; chicken, fish and beef/lamb are healthy and obviously can be prepared in a healthy manner or not so healthy. Roast chicken prepared with herbs and flavorings is healthy - fried chicken generally isn't considered to be healthy.

Most baked goods aren't healthy but Pesach ones aren't less healthy and an argument could be made that cakes and cookies made with nut flours are healthier than those made with white flour.

Here is an example of a flavorful roasted chicken recipe

Roast Chicken With Apricots and Olives

1 hour, plus at least 2 hours’ marinating

This festive dish is a fairly easy main course for the Seder meal — or anytime. Marinating overnight leaves very little work on the day of serving, but two hours is enough to infuse the chicken with tangy citrus and the sumac. Dried apricots, already more tart than sweet, are marinated along with the chicken and become almost savory in the oven. Using pitted Castelvetrano olives will save you a lot of elbow grease, and their meaty texture and mild flavor are perfect here. After roasting together, everything goes under the broiler to deeply brown and thicken the cooking juices into a tasty sauce

INGREDIENTS
Yield: 4 servings

3½ to 4 pounds bone-in chicken pieces (see Note)
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup fresh lemon juice, plus 1 lemon, sliced and seeded
¼ cup fresh blood orange or regular orange juice
¼ cup honey
4 to 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
¾ teaspoon dried thyme
3 tablespoons ground sumac
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup (6 ounces) dried apricots
1 cup (4 ounces) pitted Castelvetrano olives with 2 tablespoons brine
4 large or 8 small shallots, roots trimmed, peeled and cut lengthwise into quarters or halves
¼ cup dry white wine

PREPARATION

Slash each piece of chicken through the skin a few times, about 1 inch deep. Season with the salt and pepper and place in a large bowl or large resealable plastic bag. Whisk lemon juice, orange juice, honey, garlic, thyme, sumac and 3 tablespoons olive oil in a bowl to combine. Add lemon slices, apricots, olives and olive brine. Pour the marinade over the chicken and cover tightly or remove as much air as possible before sealing it. Set on a small sheet pan and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 24 hours, turning the bag from time to time.

Position a rack 8 inches from the broiler heat source. Place an oven rack in the lower third of the oven and heat oven to 450 degrees. Toss shallots with remaining tablespoon oil and spread out on a large sheet pan, cut sides down. Place on the lower rack and cook, turning once, until starting to turn golden, 10 to 12 minutes.

Remove the pan from the oven and use your hands and a slotted spoon to scoop the chicken, apricots, lemon slices and olives onto the pan, reserving the marinade. Arrange in an even layer with the chicken skin side up and return to the oven. Cook for 15 minutes, baste the chicken with the drippings, and cook until chicken juices run clear, about 10 minutes longer. Remove the pan from the oven. Heat the broiler to high.

Pour the reserved marinade and wine over the chicken, and broil until the chicken is browned and the liquid is thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. If the apricots start to get too dark, turn them over in the sauce. Transfer to a platter. If you used chicken breasts, cut them in half. Pour the sauce over everything or serve it on the side.

Tip
You can buy your favorite bone-in parts or cut a whole 3½- to 4-pound chicken into bone-in pieces: 2 breasts, 2 thighs, 2 drumsticks, 2 wings.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 6:16 pm
I'm newly diabetic and will most likely eat the same foods I eat all year long now - coffee, cheese sticks, fruit with nuts, yogurt, fish, soup, chicken, salads.

DH is on board with this although I will make him apple sauce and bake nut bars for him. Oh and potatoes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics