Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Just turned one and will not...
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Nemesia

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 10:11 pm
amother Thistle wrote:
my child (and lots of others) would end up drinking less breastmilk if they have access to water when they feel like it which is why it is not the common practice to have it accessible at all times. My pediatrician specifically advised against this. And this has literally nothing to do with kids being great water drinkers later on. That is just a nature and anecdotal

Do your research on this. Im not talking about gulping water as a feeding but sips as needed. What do you do if you give a baby snack? At what age do you offer a cup of water? My pediatrician ( who is excellent and is the head of a large practice) at every appointment past 6 months reminds us that baby should have water access available. I still breastfeed all the time this isn’t a replacement at all for that.
I don’t think it’s purely anecdotal. It’s an anecdote yes that’s true; but there is something to starting healthy habits young.

amother
Thistle

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 10:20 pm
amother Nemesia wrote:
Do your research on this. Im not talking about gulping water as a feeding but sips as needed. What do you do if you give a baby snack? At what age do you offer a cup of water? My pediatrician ( who is excellent and is the head of a large practice) at every appointment past 6 months reminds us that baby should have water access available. I still breastfeed all the time this isn’t a replacement at all for that.
I don’t think it’s purely anecdotal. It’s an anecdote yes that’s true; but there is something to starting healthy habits young.
I have done my research and I also go to a top pediatrician. I’m not telling you what to do but when you come here and try to push your pediatricians guidance which is actually against the standard guidelines then it’s honestly bewildering.
To answer your question about snacks I’m generally not doing that at 6 months. Solids at that age is veggies or other healthy foods in very small quantities starting once a day and slowly working my way up over the coming months but it’s at very scheduled times and yes they are either nursed close to that time or given very little water at that time which is what brisket boss and myself said. This is different than offering sippy cups of water several times a day whenever the baby “might” be thirsty. I’m also not offering snacks whenever which would make them thirsty. Solids af that age is just to learn textures and not to replace breast milk (or formula) feedings.

amother
Nemesia

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 12:15 am
amother Thistle wrote:
I have done my research and I also go to a top pediatrician. I’m not telling you what to do but when you come here and try to push your pediatricians guidance which is actually against the standard guidelines then it’s honestly bewildering.
To answer your question about snacks I’m generally not doing that at 6 months. Solids at that age is veggies or other healthy foods in very small quantities starting once a day and slowly working my way up over the coming months but it’s at very scheduled times and yes they are either nursed close to that time or given very little water at that time which is what brisket boss and myself said. This is different than offering sippy cups of water several times a day whenever the baby “might” be thirsty. I’m also not offering snacks whenever which would make them thirsty. Solids af that age is just to learn textures and not to replace breast milk (or formula) feedings.

It’s not against guidelines at all. You’re supposed to offer a cup and introduce water after 6 months. Not sure where your getting that from. You’re not supposed to give water before 6 months, maybe that’s where the confusion is. After 6 months it’s fine.
Solids is supposed to be more then just a bit as you describe. You should be working your way up to 3 meals a day by 12 months, with a snack, along with breastfeeding and formula. Breastfeeding or formula is the primary source of nutrition before a baby turns one.
Regardless Op’s baby is over one and she should be having access to water at all times.

amother
Electricblue

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 11:16 am
miami85 wrote:
...drink from a bottle/sippy cup/cup. Not water, not juice, not milk, not breastmilk.

Basically I didn't give her a bottle over pesach last year since she was so young and it wasn't worth the hassle of pumping over pesach and she forgot how, and since then we've tried here and there, but she never took a bottle--like never allowed one in her mouth.

Then the formula shortage and the few times we tried she would spit out the formula.

So now I'm basically ready to be done with nursing, but she refuses all other liquids.

I have other kids who refused a bottle until I weaned them, but they would at least drink water from a cup.

Should I just go "cold turkey" on her now?

Probably best not to go cold turkey on her with nursing but to wean gradually and get her used to drinking from a cup, like other posters said above.

I just came on here to say that I feel you about wanting to be done with nursing!!! I'm nursing my oldest baby now and he's 9 months old and I already want to be done. I'm counting down the days until he hits 11 months and I can start (as per my pediatrician) giving him cow's milk. Of course you want to be done!!! Please don't let yourself be stuck nursing for way longer than you intended. Work on strategies to get your kid to wean. Don't give up!!!

miami85

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 10:22 pm
amother Nemesia wrote:
Keep on offering her water in a cup. I exclusively nurse but still a baby needs water access all the time. Be persistent and keep on offering water in a cup, on an open spoon and buy a good sippy cup. What does she do when you work? A baby needs to be able to get water easily this is very important regardless of your nursing.

I'm fortunate that I have a flexible job near where I live so I've been coming home and nursing her when I'm home. But I really have more work to do this time of year and I'm ready to be done nursing but she shows no signs of stopping. This isn't the first time I've had a kid like this but I knew that they drank water.

amother
Nemesia

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 11:15 pm
That’s tough. Just keep on exposing her to water. Buy a good sippy cup and leave it near her when she plays offering it to her from time to time. Offer her water on a spoon and in a plastic cup, different times of day. Don’t go cold turkey with the nursing. First get this under control and then you can slowly wean if you need to.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 11:28 pm
amother Nemesia wrote:
Yes they should be nursing on demand and that definitely helps with thirst but as they get a bit older they should also have the option of water to quench thirst. Especially as they have more solids and snacks. If you give your baby a snack you don’t offer a drink to go with it? The water also helps prevent teeth decay. My babies still breastfeed many times a day. Water doesn’t replace feedings it’s in addition to.

I don’t give my kids snacks at 6 months or 8 months . Breast milk only till a year old. My youngest started solids at 13 months .
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics