Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Pls share success stories. DS4 wakes up 5:30!

meeze

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 7:04 am
I already tried putting him to bed later.
He goes to bed at 7pm.

In the morning 2 things will happen.

Either he will bang on my door till I open it and gets into my bed where I can't continue sleeping,

Or, goes into the kitchen and serves himself any nosh, sweets, chochlate....

I already tried books in his room, getting him to sleep with his younger sister in a room, dark shades, I've had enough!
I need my sleep! I go to bed at 10:30 but can't be woken up at 5:30!

Pls help me things that made a difference for u!
Thanks

DustyDiamonds

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 7:05 am
Hugs! I remember a season like that! Crying to Hashem to make him sleep later was the only thing that helped!

samantha1

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 7:18 am
It eventually passes . My son did that for year . I just let him watch . Now bh he wakes up normal time

amother
Bellflower

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 7:20 am
Same sister, same Hug

By me I direct into dh’s bed (or side of bed). He finds it easier to sleep through the bouncing and jumping and babbling and even being used as a mountain for climbing. I huddle into my corner and do my best to not listen. By 6:30 we’re all up anyway.

meeze

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 7:22 am
amother Bellflower wrote:
Same sister, same Hug

By me I direct into dh’s bed (or side of bed). He finds it easier to sleep through the bouncing and jumping and babbling and even being used as a mountain for climbing. I huddle into my corner and do my best to not listen. By 6:30 we’re all up anyway.

Yoish, I can't take it anymore! Did this for months now. I need sleep. My husband even more needs sleep!

bigbird

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 7:26 am
Have you tried gro clocks? It has a pic of the moon and sun and you set the sun to go up at a time of your choosing. Then tell him until the sun goes up it’s sleeping time or staying in bed time. I was skeptical about it but my 6 year old has been using it for 2 years and still sticks to it! Just don’t set it for very long after he naturally wakes up to begin with just gradually increase the time.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 7:29 am
Did you try a color changing clock (with a bribe)?

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 7:29 am
Cam you put the nosh chocolates etc on a high shelf?

shaqued_almond

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 7:32 am
Hide the nosh and lock it up. Have something healthier ready for him in the morning

salt

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 7:36 am
Do you have space for a mattress on the floor in your room?
Would he agree to lie down on that until you are ready to get up? Maybe even fall asleep again.
He could have a special cuddly toy waiting for him on that mattress for when he comes in early in the morning.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 7:48 am
I locked up the pantry and put the Yogurts on a lower shelf in the fridge. My son took a yogurt and went to play.

sunshine23

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 7:51 am
I have this too it's brutal. Charts help sometimes and other times I wake up to him standing on the counter serving nosh to himself and brother. It's worth it if I get to sleep 😴

SuperWify

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 7:52 am
My 6 year old does this for years now.

No ok to wake clock could keep him bed.

It’s easier though now because he’s older and helps himself to food, plays nicely, watches sometimes (if he’s really being a nag we will let him)… basically he bothers us less.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 7:58 am
meeze wrote:
I already tried putting him to bed later.
He goes to bed at 7pm.

In the morning 2 things will happen.

Either he will bang on my door till I open it and gets into my bed where I can't continue sleeping,

Or, goes into the kitchen and serves himself any nosh, sweets, chochlate....

I already tried books in his room, getting him to sleep with his younger sister in a room, dark shades, I've had enough!
I need my sleep! I go to bed at 10:30 but can't be woken up at 5:30!

Pls help me things that made a difference for u!
Thanks

My son has been doing that since age 2. He's 6 now. At 2-3 he woke me, but past 3 he knew that he can only wake me in an emergency. What helps is preparing breakfast for him the night before in the fridge, and he knows exactly what he can help himself to. Rule is he can eat breakfast and play quietly until he hears my 7am alarm. Prepare some books near his bed and some toys that are quiet. Set up a rewards chart for every day he doesn't wake anyone up- a sticker for each day, and a prize after 5 days or after a week.

DVOM

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 8:07 am
You may not like my method....

I just got used to it.

Toddlers naturally get up early. Putting my littles to bed later barely made a dent. It was so pointless to get upset each morning when my boys got up. I didn't want my first interaction with my kids each day to be telling them to go away, no matter how sweetly I said it. That's just not how I wanted them to start their day.

So I accepted that this was my new schedule. I went to sleep earlier myself (between 9-9:30 at that point in my life). If everyone was playing/eating nicely for a little and I got to stay in bed, that was lovely, but if it didn't happen, I didn't get upset. This was the new normal.

I'd tell you to hide the nosh and chocolate and to set the table before you go to sleep with a breakfast food your kids can feed themselves (we did cold homemade pizza or bran muffins on the table for years).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers