Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Can anyone make me a pesach packing list?
Previous  1  2

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 7:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you for this list! This might sound ignorant but I've never been to a program before and didn't even occur to me to ask about laundry. I just assumed of course the hotels have a laundry option. Do they not ?

Don't assume anything, always inquire to save aggravation.

amother
Peru

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 7:59 pm
Some do have machines
Some have laundry service for a high price
If so maybe you can find a launderette somewhere nearby

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 8:01 pm
Just wanted to chime in and say that whenever we go to a pesach program (joining family) we do not change every meal or anything like that, even though yes many other people do. We sometimes go to join family but we are not the fancy type at all and you don't have to do it just because many other people do...
(If you want to and have that many clothes then great, no judgement, just saying just because you go to a program doesn't mean you have to do all the things that other people do)

giftedmom

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 8:06 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm getting a headache already Sad what do you mean a change for dinner?? ? How many outfits will we need ? Shabbos? Weekday?
I didnt buy myself any long dress type robes.. like a comfy long dress. Makes sense I'd need that for breakfast long afternoons etc. Sigh...I thought I was done shopping.
Kids all ages. Baby to 15.
Weather hard to know. 60s right now. European country. Definitely no Walmart. I'm sure they sell diapers somewhere but we won't have access to a car.

Where in Europe makes a big difference. Even the north and south of a country can be different weathers this time of year. Google what the weather is generally like in that location at this time of year. 60s is hard because night and day can really fluctuate.

giftedmom

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 8:08 pm
amother OP wrote:
Flying. Makes it worse. To a not very jewish country no less so I def need to bring all formula. diapers ? Do I pack 2 weeks of diapers?

Yes. Buy two weeks of diapers. You really don’t want to be busy erev YT or chol hamoed scrounging for basics. BTDT. Bring everything you or your kids can’t manage without.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 8:14 pm
Change of clothes per kid per meal is more due to them getting dirty than being fancy.

And for adults who may be holding messy kids at kiddush and meals same may apply.

I have never been to a hotel program where there were washing machines available though I've been to laundromats nearby but only in the usa

giftedmom

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 8:16 pm
amother Papayawhip wrote:
Change of clothes per kid per meal is more due to them getting dirty than being fancy.

And for adults who may be holding messy kids at kiddush and meals same may apply.

I have never been to a hotel program where there were washing machines available though I've been to laundromats nearby but only in the usa

Many hotels offer laundry service. But I’d stick to underwear. Had some clothes ruined due to them not having a clue.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 9:06 pm
Can you try to get in touch with another family going to the program? It will be easier for you if you can compare notes with someone, especially if they’ve gone in the past.

SuperWify

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 9:14 pm
The laundry service can cost $5 a piece. Bring enough clothes and detergent to wash in the sink in an emergency.

amother
Valerian

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 10:13 pm
Wee going to a Europeans program. I asked, my hotel doesn’t have laundry. I will be hand (bathtub) washing some. I’m a pesach program veteran BH and unlike the American programs (which yes, you change clothes 2-3x a day) it’s unnecessary in Europe. Even the fanciest European program that I’ve been on is more low key than the domestic ones, which for me is part of the draw 2/2 stage of life that I’m in. Yes we are bringing 2 weeks of diapers, wipes. When I travelled with infants, yes, I brought 2 weeks of formula. I don’t see myself ‘needing’ to do laundry but the thought of coming home with suitcases of dirty laundry nauseates me so. We usually pack 10 -12 shabbos ‘outfits’ (dresses for girl, separates for boy, dresses for me) and 6-8 every day outfits. Toiletries are annoying but necessary since no one wants to deal with fevery kid in middle of the night and gd forbid not have access to 24 hour pharmacy I also bring tons of toys and books (older kids) it’s a huge pack. BH

amother
Peru

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 10:18 pm
Is there no laundromat nearby?

salt

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 1:10 am
Don't most people not do laundry on pesach, apart from for little kids?

amother
Peachpuff

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 6:11 am
amother Valerian wrote:
Wee going to a Europeans program. I asked, my hotel doesn’t have laundry. I will be hand (bathtub) washing some. I’m a pesach program veteran BH and unlike the American programs (which yes, you change clothes 2-3x a day) it’s unnecessary in Europe. Even the fanciest European program that I’ve been on is more low key than the domestic ones, which for me is part of the draw 2/2 stage of life that I’m in. Yes we are bringing 2 weeks of diapers, wipes. When I travelled with infants, yes, I brought 2 weeks of formula. I don’t see myself ‘needing’ to do laundry but the thought of coming home with suitcases of dirty laundry nauseates me so. We usually pack 10 -12 shabbos ‘outfits’ (dresses for girl, separates for boy, dresses for me) and 6-8 every day outfits. Toiletries are annoying but necessary since no one wants to deal with fevery kid in middle of the night and gd forbid not have access to 24 hour pharmacy I also bring tons of toys and books (older kids) it’s a huge pack. BH

I would stay home. Seriously. I would not be able to pack for 2 weeks. and not have my home and bed, and things I need or want near me. Maybe if was just me and My husband. Our children live an hour from us and when they come there is always something they need like medicine, running out of formula. A sweater.

amother
Valerian

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 6:32 am
amother Peachpuff wrote:
I would stay home. Seriously. I would not be able to pack for 2 weeks. and not have my home and bed, and things I need or want near me. Maybe if was just me and My husband. Our children live an hour from us and when they come there is always something they need like medicine, running out of formula. A sweater.

So I’d much rather pack for 2 weeks than clean, lasher and cook for pesach! I goes it’s just what you’re used to. Also when popping back home isn’t an option, it’s not an option

DVOM

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 7:33 am
Ohh boy, OP, this is a big big big job!

I've never been to a Pesach program, but we are going away for the entire Yom tov (to family) and have done this sort of big pack-up lots of times. We flew this past winter with the entire family for a more than 2 week stay. Flying adds an added element of stress!

I love the soft packing cubes that you can buy on Amazon. They come in all shapes and sizes. I have a different color for each kid so that it's easy to see what belongs to each child. It also makes unpacking so simple. Aside for hanging clothes, each kid just sticks their cubes into their drawers or under their beds. Packing for a flight is also much easier with the cubes. When your weighing your suitcases, you can easily rearrange cubes from suitcase to suitcase as needed for weight and still easily find each kids stuff when your unpacking.

Each kid gets one cube for shirt & pants/ dresses, one for pjs, one for underwear/tzitzit, one for socks/tights, one for shoes, one for accessories (hair bows, yarmulkes, ties, belts). If your going to need specific gear at your destination, that goes in it's own cube, I usually just pack one for everyone (bathing suits and goggles, snowsuits/hats, scarves, gloves).

I can't comment on amounts and dressiness of clothing. We dress for comfort and practicality, particularly while away from home, and I'd always sooner dress down than up. I understand though that pesach programs in particular are something of a fashion show. I don't know what I'd do in a situation like that. Probably give up and dress the way we dress anyways, but who knows?! I generally pack one full set of clothing per day, plus 3 extra for a long trip. Packing per meal to me sounds excessive and really impossible if your flying, unless your ok paying for extra luggage.

Each kid packs their own airplane knapsack with books, toys, art supplies, whatever they want. We also pack each kid their own snacks so they're not constantly asking me to pass them food. To be honest, they really don't use anything at all on flights. The TV and movies is way too exciting for them to want to do anything else. But the toys and books do get used at our destination.

For a baby, pack enough diapers, wipes, burp cloths, formula, everything you need. You don't want the stress and headache of finding products that work for you in a different country.

I have learned the hard way to pack a sick bag. Adult, baby and children's Tylenol and Motrin, shelf stable (powder) child and adult antibiotics, benadryl, eye drops, ear drops, Flonase, bactroban cream, when I've had a kid who is prone to wheezing a nebulizer and steroids. We've been to doctors and urgent care in different states and countries. I'd like to never do it again!

Good luck, OP! I hope you enjoy every minute of your vacation!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics