Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Do your daughters sleep in Shabbos robes?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Girl@Heart

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 7:20 am
groisamomma wrote:
Ew, no. They never did, at any age, velour or cotton. Would you sleep in clothes?

🙈

teachkids

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 7:22 am
groisamomma wrote:
Ew, no. They never did, at any age, velour or cotton. Would you sleep in clothes?

They put them on after a bath erev shabbos and wear them for an hour or two before bedtime...

shaqued_almond

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 7:30 am
groisamomma wrote:

What are pajamas if not comfortable clothes?

Newcastle

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 10:37 am
groisamomma wrote:

Please explain the difference between a cotton robe and a cotton nightgown.

rgh

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 3:29 pm
ya of course thats the point of them

groisamomma

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 3:37 pm
Newcastle wrote:
Please explain the difference between a cotton robe and a cotton nightgown.

A nightgown is made for sleeping. A robe is meant to wear on Shabbos, as a pretty article of clothing.

Blessing1

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 3:42 pm
groisamomma wrote:
A nightgown is made for sleeping. A robe is meant to wear on Shabbos, as a pretty article of clothing.

Not necessarily. A robe is meant to be comfortable loungewear & for the young kids, I specifically get something they can sleep in.

cookier

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 3:43 pm
groisamomma wrote:

So what’s the benefit of robes for little girls who don’t need their legs covered? If it’s just another dress, why do people by them and not just any other Shabbos dress?

Iymnok

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 3:45 pm
Yes, all of us do. That’s the point of them.
DD5 insists on changing into her nightgown, though. Whatever.

groisamomma

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 9:49 pm
cookier wrote:
So what’s the benefit of robes for little girls who don’t need their legs covered? If it’s just another dress, why do people by them and not just any other Shabbos dress?

It's more comfortable than a regular Shabbos dress and perfect for Friday night. Just because something is comfortable doesn't make it sleepwear.

I guess I'll be the lone holdout then.

miami85

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 9:52 pm
I treat a robe like a nightgown--it's for sleep. But it's nice enough to wear to the meal and around. I wear something different on shabbos because there are nights where legit I wake up and I don't know what day of the week it is. It's only b/c I see what I'm wearing and and I'm like oh, it's shabbos or weekday.

Rubies

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 9:56 pm
groisamomma wrote:
It's more comfortable than a regular Shabbos dress and perfect for Friday night. Just because something is comfortable doesn't make it sleepwear.

I guess I'll be the lone holdout then.

This. Never heard of anyone sleeping in a robe before.
I think a robe is the equivalent to a casual tshirt or comfy everyday maxi. Do people sleep in those too?

Rubies

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 9:57 pm
cookier wrote:

Robes are supposed to me easy wear, easy care. Wash well, no ironing, and comfortable.

unnamed

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 10:19 pm
There was a girl in sem who wore her robe from Friday afternoon until Motzai Shabbos, including while sleeping.

ohmygosh

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 11:23 pm
I'm quite surprised how many people said yes.
No my daughter and I never sleep in our robes. We switch into pajamas.
Can't imagine it would be comfortable. Plus, then I would feel gross wearing it shabbos afternoon, if I slept in it all night.
(Can't compare robes to nightgowns because none of us sleep in nightgowns, we have pj shirts and pants)

bgr8ful

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 12:17 am
ohmygosh wrote:
I'm quite surprised how many people said yes.
No my daughter and I never sleep in our robes. We switch into pajamas.
Can't imagine it would be comfortable. Plus, then I would feel gross wearing it shabbos afternoon, if I slept in it all night.
(Can't compare robes to nightgowns because none of us sleep in nightgowns, we have pj shirts and pants)

oh gosh same. it never crossed my mind that they're meant for sleeping. even if they're comfy, who sleeps in the clothing they're planning to wear the next day? thats gross.
but besides that, most robes have rubbers by the waist and closed necks and full skirts... I'm getting itchy just thinking abt sleeping in them. their purpose is that we shud look shabbosdig while being comfortable. I'd be surprised if the robe designers/manufacterers think that they're for sleeping too.

bgr8ful

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 12:21 am
unnamed wrote:
There was a girl in sem who wore her robe from Friday afternoon until Motzai Shabbos, including while sleeping.

um Hiding
I feel bad to say ew cuz I feel like maybe she never learned proper hygiene. do ppl normally sleep in clothes and wear them again the next day? if ppl do it with robes are they also doing it with school uniform? just wear it for 2 days straight TMI

nicole81

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 12:31 am
My 6 year old usually falls asleep before the meal is over and won't be changed. She has nice velour nightgowns too that she sometimes wears instead of her robes. But they're pretty much interchangeable and both are fine for sleeping in.

None of my older kids ever slept in robes. I don't care as long as the kid is comfortable and happy, and they're sleeping in something clean.

teachkids

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 12:35 am
bgr8ful wrote:
oh gosh same. it never crossed my mind that they're meant for sleeping. even if they're comfy, who sleeps in the clothing they're planning to wear the next day? thats gross.
but besides that, most robes have rubbers by the waist and closed necks and full skirts... I'm getting itchy just thinking abt sleeping in them. their purpose is that we shud look shabbosdig while being comfortable. I'd be surprised if the robe designers/manufacterers think that they're for sleeping too.

We don't wear robes the next day. We lounge in them till we feel like getting dressed ( might be 9 am, might be when my husband comes home from shul, on a particularly nasty weather shabbos might be after afternoon naps but that's also the kind of day my kids wear PJs till 3 during the week), and then get dressed in a nicer shabbos dress and tights.

It also sounds like there are different types of robes being discussed here. My kids get a comfy floral cotton dress from Walmart or target. Like why not fall asleep in that?

youngmother6

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 5:56 am
I often sleep in my clothing. Is that crazy? So do my kids…. You would not know if you met us. I dress very put together and so do my kids… we just get tired and fall asleep in clothing. It’s a bad habit from my childhood and my kids copy me. If I was motivated to change I could. But I'm not sure how bad it is. I change clothing in the morning to fresh clean clothes. Any thoughts . Please don’t tell me I’m gross! I’m a clean person.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics