Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
How do the more expensive supermarkets make money?
1  2  Next

If you live in Brooklyn, where do you do most of your food shopping?
Bingo  
 22%  [ 18 ]
KRM  
 12%  [ 10 ]
Moisha’s  
 23%  [ 19 ]
Pomegranate  
 5%  [ 4 ]
Breadberry  
 2%  [ 2 ]
Landau’s  
 2%  [ 2 ]
Shopsmart  
 2%  [ 2 ]
Not Jewish Chain  
 2%  [ 2 ]
Small local place  
 13%  [ 11 ]
Other, where?  
 12%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 80

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 8:02 am
I know that there are many people who have money, but when it comes to food, isn’t it practically the same to go to a cheaper place?

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 8:07 am
I don’t understand the question . If it’s practically the same why would you go to a cheaper place? Go to the place with the better cuts of meat, that’s cleaner , and has great customer service had a more pleasant shopping experience.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 8:11 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
I don’t understand the question . If it’s practically the same why would you go to a cheaper place? Go to the place with the better cuts of meat, that’s cleaner , and has great customer service had a more pleasant shopping experience.

The food is the same, the prices aren’t.

NechaMom

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 8:14 am
amother OP wrote:
I know that there are many people who have money, but when it comes to food, isn’t it practically the same to go to a cheaper place?

Some people will prefer convenience over price. If the store is closer to them, cleaner, nicer, less jammed...

amother
Heather

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 8:16 am
Also, if you're buying WIC, isn't it by amount not cost? So you'll go to the most convenient store regardless of how much the milk costs because you're not paying for it either way

amother
Vanilla

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 8:18 am
amother Heather wrote:
Also, if you're buying WIC, isn't it by amount not cost? So you'll go to the most convenient store regardless of how much the milk costs because you're not paying for it either way

This. At seasons everyone is either very wealthy looking or using food stamps.

mikayla18

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 8:19 am
I just went to a store and they were charging over $4 for half a gallon of milk and $8 for a gallon (NOT CY) pray tell, how are they NOT making money?

amother
Tealblue

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 8:28 am
If the aisles are wider, they have all the items you need, and the shopping experience is more pleasant, then it's sometimes worth it to spend more.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 8:32 am
We usually use our local small grocery store because it’s convenient, they deliver, we have a relationship with them (so if we need a specific item they will sometimes bring it in for us etc), I can send my kids by themselves.
Before oesach we do a big bingo trip for the prices but it’s not worth it for us to use them all year round for various reasons.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 8:35 am
When I can afford to I spend on good food 🥤
I'm probably a perfectionist

doodlesmom

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 8:36 am
Convenience and relationship is keeping me by my local grocer.
Although before a big event I do usually make a bingo order as well.
Tbh I buy almost nothing perishable from Bingo. They tend to be seconds, earlier expiration, spending more time out of the fridge etc…

amother
RosePink

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 8:42 am
I shop at Shopsmart on a weekly basis because it is more convenient but go to Moishes for larger orders like before Yom Tov.

giftedmom

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 9:03 am
You know there are more big supermarkets than what you mentioned

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 9:12 am
doodlesmom wrote:
Convenience and relationship is keeping me by my local grocer.
Although before a big event I do usually make a bingo order as well.
Tbh I buy almost nothing perishable from Bingo. They tend to be seconds, earlier expiration, spending more time out of the fridge etc…

Also I don’t understand how their refrigerators work

amother
Magnolia

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 11:48 am
Shop at several stores depending on item and prices.

Shop Rite, Key Food, Aldi, Gourmet Glatt, Mountain Fruit, Freddy's, small Jewish grocery near my house, Bingo, some Asian places and 24/7 kind of places for produce, etc. Look at all the sales for the week and then figure out where to go and what to buy based on sales. Some stores like Shop Rite also offer coupons which is helpful as well.

amother
Pistachio

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 11:53 am
Gourmet glatt! I find them quite reasonable and a pleasant shopping experience.

Reality

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 12:17 pm
I have never been wealthy, but I have always valued buying a lot of good quality produce. Many of the cheaper stores you listed have ok to sad produce. It has always been worth it to me to spend a little more to have appetizing fruits and vegetables to feed my family.

The more expensive stores have better service. For example, I was a full time working mom. I would place my order in the morning and specify which time it would be delivered to my house. They also would put all my perishables in the fridge/freezer. No discount store would ever do that.

If I was sent something spoiled or the wrong item, they would take it back, no questions asked with a full refund.

Bottom line, I was a valued customer who was treated like one, instead of a nameless phone number!

amother
Blueberry

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 12:33 pm
Moishas got so expensive lately and I don't enjoy their produce

amother
Steelblue

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 12:40 pm
I don't live in Brooklyn, but we buy our food in Brooklyn. I make pickup orders for when I or DH will be in the vicinity. This way I know how much it will cost and there is not a big time commitment.

I tried making orders at a cheaper grocery store, but found that they were haphazard about getting me the requested items, I'd frequently get the wrong item or skipped items, they were not packed well, and they were not always careful to keep my boxes refrigerated or frozen until they were actually picked up.

I decided to pay extra to know that I'm getting what I'm ordering... not getting it ends up costing as well as I need to buy expensive replacements or change plans last minute. I don't know if I come out ahead in the end, but it feels worthwhile to me.

(We are not on food stamps and need to be frugal.)

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 12:48 pm
amother Pistachio wrote:
Gourmet glatt! I find them quite reasonable and a pleasant shopping experience.

I really enjoy it as well.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries