Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
My Son is short
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Bellflower

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 8:34 pm
amother DarkYellow wrote:
I have a family member that was discouraged from taking growth hormones and is now an adult and both he and his parents regret it (his parents likely regret it because he does. He really wishes he had the additional 2+ inches growth hormones likely would have given him)

Unless he was tested for a gh deficiency, he can't know if it would've given him any inches.

amother
Bellflower

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 8:48 pm
Chana Miriam S wrote:
My son in law to be is five three. My daughter is five six. She’s happy.

I love hearing stories like this, and mazel tov.

Ds is around the same. When I once spoke to him about being short when he was a little younger, he looked at me in shock, puffed his chest and said Mommy! The Chofetz Chaim was short!
I never brought it up again after that.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 9:07 pm
amother Clematis wrote:
My son is 10 and is very short (below the charts) but we did the tests and he is not GH deficient. The X-rays showed that he measured 1.5-2 years younger than his age, so at least he’ll have some extra time to make up the height…unfortunately insurance will not cover GH hormone shots since he is not deficient. It seems that other peoples insurance does cover it? It’s definitely disappointing, bc it’s about 30k per year if not covered by insurance.

IME insurance doesn’t cover without a deficiency but the annual cost of the medication can be closer to $12-$15K. We’re not paying anywhere near $30K.

kiwi strawberry

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 9:15 pm
amother Dill wrote:
It’s not a hormone. It’s a herbal remedy.

What is it called?

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 9:16 pm
amother Seashell wrote:
IME insurance doesn’t cover without a deficiency but the annual cost of the medication can be closer to $12-$15K. We’re not paying anywhere near $30K.

My DC has something genetic that causes short stature. Not GH deficiency. Bh insurance covers it. Our medication costs around 5k for a one month supply. We are so grateful that this option is available. My child was not on the chart for years. DC has 4 siblings younger that are all over 50 percentile for height. DC self esteem, confidence etc really took a hit from the short stature. Bh Bh these meds are available.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 9:30 pm
amother Clematis wrote:
My son is 10 and is very short (below the charts) but we did the tests and he is not GH deficient. The X-rays showed that he measured 1.5-2 years younger than his age, so at least he’ll have some extra time to make up the height…unfortunately insurance will not cover GH hormone shots since he is not deficient. It seems that other peoples insurance does cover it? It’s definitely disappointing, bc it’s about 30k per year if not covered by insurance.

My daughter was approved by insurance for the shots for extreme ISS (no GH deficiency but predicted height well below 5 feet and advanced bone age). I think it depends on the insurance, our prior insurance refused to cover but the new insurance will. I do believe that there is a process to follow with an insurance company who denies the claim, you can appeal.
I do believe that the best way to obtain insurance coverage is by using a super experienced peds endocrinologist who knows what info will be most valuable for insurance coverage and to obtain all that data. Unless there is a GH deficiency (or the child has one of 6 genetic disorders) its going to take a lot of information to convince an insurance company to cover.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 9:32 pm
Anyone here comfortable sharing names of pediatric endo in the nj area? Asked around a while ago and didn't get responses.

amother
Dill

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 9:34 pm
kiwi strawberry wrote:
What is it called?

It’s not sold in stores someone sells it privately

amother
NeonPink

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 12:32 am
amother Dill wrote:
It’s not sold in stores someone sells it privately

is it the adaptogens herbs?

amother
NeonPink

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 12:34 am
amother DarkGreen wrote:
My daughter was approved by insurance for the shots for extreme ISS (no GH deficiency but predicted height well below 5 feet and advanced bone age). I think it depends on the insurance, our prior insurance refused to cover but the new insurance will. I do believe that there is a process to follow with an insurance company who denies the claim, you can appeal.
I do believe that the best way to obtain insurance coverage is by using a super experienced peds endocrinologist who knows what info will be most valuable for insurance coverage and to obtain all that data. Unless there is a GH deficiency (or the child has one of 6 genetic disorders) its going to take a lot of information to convince an insurance company to cover.

what are the 6 genetic disorders that causes short height?

amother
Dill

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 4:58 am
amother NeonPink wrote:
is it the adaptogens herbs?

It has adaptogens plus more

amother
Bellflower

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 4:59 am
amother Bellflower wrote:
I love hearing stories like this, and mazel tov.

Ds is around the same. When I once spoke to him about being short when he was a little younger, he looked at me in shock, puffed his chest and said Mommy! The Chofetz Chaim was short!
I never brought it up again after that.

As an aside, ds grew early and was even one of the tallest in his class for a couple years so I had no way to know that he would stop. By the time I realized that it seemed he had stopped growing, it was almost certainly too late to do anything about it. The ped still insists that there was nothing to warn me about since I myself am 5"2, ds's height is expected. And who knows, maybe gh wouldn't have done anything for him.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 5:24 am
amother Ginger wrote:
Anyone here comfortable sharing names of pediatric endo in the nj area? Asked around a while ago and didn't get responses.

We use Dr. Calabria and are extremely happy with him. He has 2 locations I think one in Princeton and the one we use in Vorhees.

I waited about 4-6 months for the 1st appointment but after that I schedule my next one as soon as I'm done with the visit.

exhausted

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 11:28 am
My son was completely off the charts as a child. Tested negative for celiac and GH deficiency. At age 7 we did the bone growth x-ray and it showed he'd be 5'6". Bh he started growing at age 16 and is now over 5'9" bh. Do your due diligence but don't make yourself crazy if some of your family is short. Btw, my family is all tall and my husband's family is extremely short, except for him.

amother
Tulip

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 2:18 pm
amother OP wrote:
My son is 8, and BH he is "on" the charts for height, but he's bounced between the 1st and 5th percentile, and very short compared to other kids his age. I happen to be short too. I asked his pediatrician recently about possibly seeing an endocrinologist to look into growth hormones, but he told me my son has always trended upwards on the chart, and since my husband is 6 ft and my in-law family is on the taller side, he didn't think it was necessary. However, my son is overall an underdog in a lot of ways, academically, socially etc, and I would hate if his height ended up being something in addition to his other issues that cause him grief as he grows older.
I guess why I'm here, is I was wondering if other people had children who started out very short on the chart, and eventually had a growth spurt?
Did anyone here have a pediatrician that didnt encourage looking into growth hormones and you now regret it? Or you went anyway and did growth hormones and are now happy with the decision, that you went with your instinct?
Those who pushed for growth hormones, are you happy you did? Any regrets?
Would love to hear experiences from other moms in similar situations.
Thanks in advance

I can email you the Hamaspik Gazette book chapter on different methods medical/alternative
for how to maximize growth in children.
It is written in Yiddish.
let me know if you want it and I will send it to your screenname or email

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 2:20 pm
amother Ivory wrote:
We use Dr. Calabria and are extremely happy with him. He has 2 locations I think one in Princeton and the one we use in Vorhees.

I waited about 4-6 months for the 1st appointment but after that I schedule my next one as soon as I'm done with the visit.

Ty!

amother
NeonPink

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 2:46 pm
amother Tulip wrote:
I can email you the Hamaspik Gazette book chapter on different methods medical/alternative
for how to maximize growth in children.
It is written in Yiddish.
let me know if you want it and I will send it to your screenname or email

can I also have it?

how do I send you an email privately?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 2:53 pm
Thank you so much everyone for your replies. Really appreciate it. I think I'm going to start with the endo and see where it goes and what the recommendations are, and hope they will do a bone xray. I am now curious if there are deficiencies that might be attributing to his struggles in school, or hypothyroidism. I really didn't realize this could all be related.

To answer some above questions, my son is 8.5 and measuring at 3'10, which puts him at the 1st/2nd percentile. My husband is a bit over 6 feet, and I'm 5"1. My siblings range in height, I am the shortest, but most are average. I have one tall sibling.
My in law family is tall, mostly. So a mix of genetics.

I'm nervous to hear about the cost- my insurance is notorious that they dont pay for specialty medications and the costs sound astronomical for someone with my budget, yikes!

Thanks again everyone for your replies and chizzuk and advice.

amother
Camellia

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 3:03 pm
exhausted wrote:
My son was completely off the charts as a child. Tested negative for celiac and GH deficiency. At age 7 we did the bone growth x-ray and it showed he'd be 5'6". Bh he started growing at age 16 and is now over 5'9" bh. Do your due diligence but don't make yourself crazy if some of your family is short. Btw, my family is all tall and my husband's family is extremely short, except for him.
wow this gives me so much hope. Do you remember how tall your son was at 16?

amother
NeonPink

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 7:18 am
amother Apricot wrote:
My DC has something genetic that causes short stature. Not GH deficiency. Bh insurance covers it. Our medication costs around 5k for a one month supply. We are so grateful that this option is available. My child was not on the chart for years. DC has 4 siblings younger that are all over 50 percentile for height. DC self esteem, confidence etc really took a hit from the short stature. Bh Bh these meds are available.

was this the only symptom with this genetic issue?

sometimes kids shoot up much later on when they are much older. there can be hardly any growth when younger.how does one know just to wait it out or to go and test?
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics