Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
New pre-Pesach game!!! The Miscellaneous pre-Pesach game

simcha4

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 6:31 pm
בס"ד

Welcome to the "Miscellaneous - Two-Way -pre-Pesach Game."

This game is (so far) only for Erev Pesach.

This game is a two way game -

In this game you can vent - here is the place to throw out the difficulties you're facing now Erev Pesach, and you'll receive the empathy you deserve/need. Sad
Share how you're feeling - drained, backache, headache.. etc. Sad
If you want, ask for advice, tips..

Tell us what long lost treasures you found while cleaning for Pesach. Smile
Share with us a cute comment your kiddies said in regard to Pesach and cleaning, etc. Smile

Share a funny short true story from this time of the year. Smile
Share an unexpected kindness or kind comment your teenager did or said. Smile

Add your own things along these lines ... ask any Question connected to pre-Pesach and Pesach.

You can also share something from a previous Erev Pesach.

Each poster answers something to the previous poster and then posts, and so on...

Important rule: One can't only vent - each player can post a vent etc., your next post share something positive, your next post a challenge, next post something funny ... etc.

Another rule: once you throw your difficulty into this game, you leave it here, no taking back.

I hope I explained it clearly.

We're all in the same boat now, plus-minus, so let's have fun rowing on the roiling waves in the deep sea of Pesach cleaning.

Happy Pesach cleaning and Chag Kasher V'sameiach! Smile

SweetMouse

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 6:33 pm
I found approximately 50 toys buried in my couch! How they all fit there is quite miraculous!

simcha4

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 6:44 pm
Thanks SweetMouse for starting.

Wow!!! 50 toys in your couch!!! You can use your couch as a future toy cupboard. Wink I'm sure your children were so excited Smile

from a previous Pesach -

After the cleaning lady and I worked very hard and finished cleaning a whole room, I went out of the room to take a drink and bring a drink for the cleaner, I come back into the room: to my HORROR the cleaning lady was eating sandwiches on the just cleaned bed!!!!

Another cleaning lady: I heard her in the next room talking angrily on her cellphone. I didn't understand the language she was speaking. She then came out and handed me her cellphone, and said her husband wants to speak to me. I took the phone, and her husband started lashing out at me fast and furious:

"Why don't you give my wife breakfast?"

"My wife is pregnant, why are you making her work so hard?"

"She needs to rest, give her now a bed where she can lie down!"

and more such accusations and orders.

Needless to say, I paid the cleaning lady for the half hour she had worked and sent her packing
with wishes for an easy pregnancy and sweet baby.

Rolling Eyes

metacognizant

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 7:56 pm
On erev shabbos my son (6) found a bag of cookies in the pantry. We usually don’t have them in the house and this kid LOVES nosh. “Mommy, is this chametz?” “Yes.” “So can we throw it away?” “Pesach is soon, but not that soon. It’s not time to throw away all the chametz yet. Besides, I got those for you to eat before Pesach. If you throw them away you’ll be hungry.”

Later on shabbos we had to have matzah instead of challah for our lechem mishneh (long story but toddler was in the ER on erev shabbos so our dinner plans had to change at the last minute). DS asks, “Is it Pesach?”

simcha4

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 10:36 am
So cute, ke"h. You have a perceptive little boy.
I hope your toddler is fine, be"H.

We were in middle of doing Bedikas Chametz. My dh found 9 pieces of bread, he can't find the tenth piece. We all rush around looking high and low, here and there.
Where is that 10th piece of bread?
My dh looks worried. Bread is chametz. He's about to call a Rav...

My son has the paper where we wrote down where each piece was hidden. He reads aloud and ticks off each piece that was found.
"Says here a piece is on third shelf of toy cupboard." Dh checks the shelf, he checks all the shelves again ...
no piece of bread.

"Where is Bruchy?" my oldest suddenly asks.
True, I hadn't seen our youngest (then) since before Bedikas Chametz.
Worry sneaked through me, probably exacerbated by the missing piece of bread.

I joined my children in searching for our now missing 2 yr. old.
I stopped at the dining room door.
A familiar child's voice was talking inside the room.

"Listen to Mommy! Open your mouth."

I peeked in and breathed in relief, it was Bruchy. She was playing with her dolls in the narrow space between the sefarim cupboard and the wall.
I walked in softly and looked closer.
She was pushing something into her doll's mouth.

A PIECE OF BREAD!!

"Bruchy, where did you find that piece of bread?" I asked.

"In toy cupboard." She responded, squishing the bread into her doll's mouth.

I grabbed the precious piece of bread.

"My dolly's 'ungry!" Bruchy wailed.

"Tatty's needs this piece of bread for Bedikas Chametz. Come," I took hold of my little one's hand, "I'll give you something else for your doll to eat."

I'm sorry so long. I'm just used to writing this way.
I'll try to write in one or 2 sentences.

rachelli66

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 12:12 pm
Many years ago when we were doing Bedikas Chametz we realized we were missing a few pieces of bread. It turns out our Doggy was in the mood for some rye bread and enjoyed having some. Since then we would put it in a higher area where she couldn't get them.

A few years ago we were enjoying some chocolate on Pesach. (we live near a shop which has great hechsherim, and covers, sells chometz). My DH says, this tastes too good to be KFP. We looked at the label and in fact it wasn't KFP. we called our Rabbi who said to Flush it.
What happened was the chocolate was in the isle of the KFP food shop and we didnt think to look at the label. It taught us to look for the KFP stamp even in our shops.

I find the turning over 24 hours extremely stressful. You are in limbo. not here, waiting to Kasher the sinks ( we wait 24 hours). Once its done then we start unpacking the Pesach things which all takes time. Items need to be washed. Just alot of koach is needed. Hatzlocha and simcha for all!

happytobemom

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 3:56 pm
simcha4 wrote:

We were in middle of doing Bedikas Chametz. My dh found 9 pieces of bread, he can't find the tenth piece. We all rush around looking high and low, here and there.
Where is that 10th piece of bread?
My dh looks worried. Bread is chametz. He's about to call a Rav...

My son has the paper where we wrote down where each piece was hidden. He reads aloud and ticks off each piece that was found.
"Says here a piece is on third shelf of toy cupboard." Dh checks the shelf, he checks all the shelves again ...
no piece of bread.

"Where is Bruchy?" my oldest suddenly asks.
True, I hadn't seen our youngest (then) since before Bedikas Chametz.
Worry sneaked through me, probably exacerbated by the missing piece of bread.

I joined my children in searching for our now missing 2 yr. old.
I stopped at the dining room door.
A familiar child's voice was talking inside the room.

"Listen to Mommy! Open your mouth."

I peeked in and breathed in relief, it was Bruchy. She was playing with her dolls in the narrow space between the sefarim cupboard and the wall.
I walked in softly and looked closer.
She was pushing something into her doll's mouth.

A PIECE OF BREAD!!

"Bruchy, where did you find that piece of bread?" I asked.

"In toy cupboard." She responded, squishing the bread into her doll's mouth.

I grabbed the precious piece of bread.

"My dolly's 'ungry!" Bruchy wailed.

"Tatty's needs this piece of bread for Bedikas Chametz. Come," I took hold of my little one's hand, "I'll give you something else for your doll to eat."

I love that lost piece of bread story!

My mother had a cleaning woman that worked for her for many years, was very familiar with Jewish customs. Close to Pesach, my mother offered her some chametz that still needed to be gotten rid of, including some pita bread. The lady asked her, don't you need that to hide the pieces tomorrow night? Very Happy

simcha4

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 4:09 pm
happytobemom wrote:
I love that lost piece of bread story!

My mother had a cleaning woman that worked for her for many years, was very familiar with Jewish customs. Close to Pesach, my mother offered her some chametz that still needed to be gotten rid of, including some pita bread. The lady asked her, don't you need that to hide the pieces tomorrow night? Very Happy

Thanks Smile

Your story made me laugh.
The cleaning ladies know more than we think about Jewish customs.

I remember one Erev Pesach, the cleaning lady was about to leave after cleaning in my home, I asked her if she can come next week again?

She heaved a huge sigh and responded, "if I'll still be alive by then."

They do work very hard before Pesach.

happytobemom

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 1:49 pm
simcha4 wrote:
Thanks Smile

Your story made me laugh.
The cleaning ladies know more than we think about Jewish customs.

I remember one Erev Pesach, the cleaning lady was about to leave after cleaning in my home, I asked her if she can come next week again?

She heaved a huge sigh and responded, "if I'll still be alive by then."

They do work very hard before Pesach.

Oy!

I remember once before Pesach the Voice of Lakewood (a local, free magazine) ran a feature article interviewing a few different cleaning ladies about Pesach. A just remember few of them actually said that they like to do Pesach, that they get a satisfaction of cleaning slowly and thoroughly, as opposed to during the year regular cleaning, when the they're just wanted to do as much as possible in a short time.

But yes, they do work very hard, at something that sometimes makes no sense to them!

In my case, I'm the one that's working hard! (no cleaning help) But I'll be very honest, I do like it a lot. I get a lot more satisfaction from my work than a non-Jewish cleaning woman can, knowing the meaning to it, and doing it in my own home. Yes, stressful sometimes (a lot!) but very rewarding.

newinbp

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 2:43 pm
Put away the sukka poles in order to take the pesach boxes out of the shed. Got a splinter putting the schach into the shed! Took out the splinter myself with tweezers hodu Hashem! Now have a bandaid on, first and hopefully last bandaid of pesach. Felt lame that sukkah only goes away half year later, but super thrilled that I have the space now where the sukkah poles were sitting Smile

yachnabobba

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 10:49 pm
Ok I’m here for the sympathy
I need to work so I can make pesach but I can’t make pesach because I’m busy working
My younger coworkers say they are fine because they are going to their parents
But I AM THE PARENTS
I interact with ppl who are doing cookies and side dishes.. ha!

ap

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 11:05 pm
newinbp wrote:
Put away the sukka poles in order to take the pesach boxes out of the shed. Got a splinter putting the schach into the shed! Took out the splinter myself with tweezers hodu Hashem! Now have a bandaid on, first and hopefully last bandaid of pesach. Felt lame that sukkah only goes away half year later, but super thrilled that I have the space now where the sukkah poles were sitting Smile

You make me feel good!
I also put stuff away when the next yom tov comes

penguin

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 1:06 am
Please ask a Mod to move this to an anonymous-enabled forum. Because some of us have rather personal stories you might enjoy hearing, but then we'd have to ....

imasinger

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 6:53 am
I'll play, then report my post to request the move, since I don't have mod privileges in this section.

We've had the same cleaning guy for more than 30 years. He knows all about what to do for Pesach. Needless to say, he's getting on in years, but kept saying he'd be bored if he didn't at least work sometimes, and he likes some income.

Then, he didn't show since the end of Adar. Phone went straight to voicemail. Eventually, I called the manager of his building to request a wellness check, and they found out he's in the hospital. It's cancer. 😢

So there was a lot extra for me to do this year -- everything he normally did that's actual pesach cleaning (spring cleaning could wait). And of course, I've got to make time to go visit him in the hospital.

On the plus side, my friend has a cleaning team (husband and wife) that are excellent, and they had time for me, they've come twice this week. The funny story is, she doesn't speak English, and uses google translate to communicate. My English name is a word that's kind of an endearment in her language. So when I first reached out to introduce myself and text her and she responded, I didn't recognize the number, and the text started, "hello, [endearment]." I almost reported that number as spam and deleted it -- good thing I didn't!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics