Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Egg and Onion aka Eier Mit Tsibeles

Amarante

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 12:54 pm
I had to make this as I hadn't though of this since my Bubbe died along with the cremsolet and the tiny chicken eggs that were inside the chickens she bought. She would save those for me when she gave me the bowl of chicken soup. Very Happy

I bet she made it with schmaltz instead of oil. She told me that in Poland they would fatten up a goose for Pesach because it had so much fat that could be rendered. But for pareve you can use oil of course.

Amother Neonpink reminded me that my Bubbe would have added gribbenes LOL Thank you neonpink

Essentially just needs the caramelized onions most people are already making and some hard boiled eggs.

Egg and Onion aka Eier Mit Tsibeles
Recipe by Joan Nathan

Served to start the Sabbath dinner or as a simple breakfast on weekends, this Ashkenazic dish of mashed hard-boiled eggs and ultracaramelized onions feels indulgent in its rich flavor. Lisa Goldberg, a founder of the Monday Morning Cooking Club in Sydney, Australia, shares her grandmother’s Polish Jewish recipe for this beloved, time-honored dish, also called “eier mit tsibeles” in Yiddish. The key to deep, complex flavor is in the onions, which should be cooked slowly until caramelized, with a slightly burned texture. Save the leftover onion-infused oil to add flavor to vegetables or chicken. Serve this as an appetizer, with good bread or matzo, or as breakfast, with bagels or matzo. —Joan Nathan

INGREDIENTS

Yield: 6 servings

1½ large yellow onions, peeled and roughly chopped into ½-inch dice
½ cup vegetable oil or chicken fat
6 large eggs
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Chopped tarragon, chives or parsley, for garnish

PREPARATION

Put the onions and oil in a large frying pan and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes, or until the onions are golden brown and very soft.

Meanwhile, put the eggs in a medium saucepan, cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 8 minutes, until hard-boiled. Drain the eggs and run under cold water until cool enough to handle. Next, tap each egg on the side of the sink until cracked all over, then peel under cold running water. Transfer the peeled eggs to a medium serving bowl. Coarsely mash the eggs with a fork. NOTE - Grate them on a box grater like my Bubbe did for a more authentic texture

When the onions are caramelized, transfer them to the eggs with a slotted spoon, leaving most of the oil in the pan. Gently mix with your hands or a fork or spoon; you should still be able to distinguish the egg bits from the onions. Season generously with salt and pepper. If the mixture seems too dry, add a little oil from the pan. The mixture should stick together if pressed with your fingers, but should not be oily. Sprinkle with herbs before serving warm or at room temperature.

Last edited by Amarante on Wed, Mar 29 2023, 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
NeonPink

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 1:04 pm
Its missing gribenes (skin cracklings) !!

Amarante

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 1:05 pm
amother NeonPink wrote:

Yes I forgot to add that my Bubbe would also make the gribbenes which were so good.

I will edit to include that.

Thanks. Very Happy

amother
Hosta

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 1:05 pm
amother NeonPink wrote:

My mom makes it.... She's an eishas chayil. My father loves them.

amother
NeonPink

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 1:08 pm
amother Hosta wrote:
My mom makes it.... She's an eishas chayil. My father loves them.
My grandmother used to make them just on pesach, though her mother made them all year round. Nothing like it!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics