Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Kosher secular books for 12 yr old dd
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 1:19 pm
Is babysitters club series considered clean?
Any otger reccoemndations?

GLUE

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 1:25 pm
The babysitters club has boy friends some books not many the whole them is the relationship with said boy friend. I don't know what you call clean.

What type of books is your daughter interested in?

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 1:34 pm
It depends on what your standards are. Many babysitters club books have boyfriends.

Elizabeth Enright's books are wonderful and clean.

Tom's Midnight Garden is amazing.

Avi and Mary Downing Hahn have some really good books.

From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, by E.L. Konigsburg, is very good. She also wrote The view from Saturday, another very good one. Her other books are not as good and not as clean.

The Boxcar Children books are clean.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 1:49 pm
the world's best mom wrote:
It depends on what your standards are. Many babysitters club books have boyfriends.

Elizabeth Enright's books are wonderful and clean.

Tom's Midnight Garden is amazing.

Avi and Mary Downing Hahn have some really good books.

From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, by E.L. Konigsburg, is very good. She also wrote The view from Saturday, another very good one. Her other books are not as good and not as clean.

The Boxcar Children books are clean.

When I check these books up on chinuch.org alot of them come up as inappropriate. She has read some babysitters club but would love to read more. However, I dont want her to read about boyfriend/girlfriend.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 1:57 pm
My kids read the BSC in comic version, I prepread each one but they all seem pretty clean so far. (There was one that I didn't even bother trying - Boy Crazy Stacey, but the others I have read have been fine - one I crossed out talk about a training bra.)

dancingqueen

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 2:04 pm
amother Linen wrote:
My kids read the BSC in comic version, I prepread each one but they all seem pretty clean so far. (There was one that I didn't even bother trying - Boy Crazy Stacey, but the others I have read have been fine - one I crossed out talk about a training bra.)

Right the focus is mostly not on boyfriends, the ones that do are clear by the title (eg Logan likes Mary Ann).

amother
Dimgray

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 2:11 pm
amother OP wrote:
When I check these books up on chinuch.org alot of them come up as inappropriate. She has read some babysitters club but would love to read more. However, I dont want her to read about boyfriend/girlfriend.

I read them as a kid and I felt gross reading them. It had a lot of flirting, bra pulling, not such clean jokes in my eyes as a child.

gamanit

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 2:12 pm
At that age I loved Margartet Peterson Haddix's books. My cousin introduced me to Running Out of Time and I moved on to her other books after that. My mother read every book before I did to make sure it was ok. There were also some books by Avi that were good. Most of the American Girl History Mysteries were good- there were only one or two my mother didn't let me read. The girls of many lands were mostly fine too.

amother
Dimgray

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 2:13 pm
A lot of these books suggested are more on the level of 9-10 year old.

librarygirl

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 2:15 pm
James ponti has 2 excellent series. City spies and framed.

amother
Bone

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 2:47 pm
Age is relative with books, much like board games. There's no right or wrong if it works for each person.

I am part of a WhatsApp group, clean book ideas, you can post there a description of what your kid likes/level and ppl will give ideas.
https://chat.whatsapp.com/E4gg.....JsefF

Librarian

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 3:29 pm
Anne of Green Gables series
Little Women Series

Last edited by Librarian on Wed, Mar 29 2023, 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

#BestBubby

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 3:30 pm
Peg KEhret wrote many surviving natural disaster books like Earthquake Terror.

There is also the "I survived..." series,

Like " I Survived 9/11" or the Titanic.

The Three Investigator Series is good mystery solving series. "Mystery of the Stuttering Parrot"

Books by Lois Duncan about ESP

"The gift of Magic"

Mystery of the Witches Bridge.

The Parent Trap

Freaky Friday

Dreams of Victory by Ellen Conford

Ballet Shoes series

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 3:53 pm
amother OP wrote:

Does kosherbooks.org have more options?

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 3:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
Really? Which ones are inappropriate, and why, pray tell? And BSC is clean compared to these? You gotta be kidding me.

My parents allowed us to read BSC but not Boy Crazy Stacy. Let me tell you, there was plenty of boyfriend/girlfriend stuff in the other books.

I know chinuch.org is not so approving of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler because there's a drawing of a pond that has a nude statue in it. I don't know of a single inappropriate thing about the other books I posted. Except there's one sentence in A View From Saturday that I wish wasn't there.

devorah1231

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 4:01 pm
Kosherbooks, like all reviews, need to be taken with a grain of salt. I have disagreed with the overall assessments both as too strict or not strict enough in various situations. Generally you need to really read the description of why they ranked a book as they did.

Also, authors should never be trusted. So if you suggest an author, keep in mind they may have written inappropriate books, aka Avi.

amother
Dimgray

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 4:04 pm
Librarian wrote:
Anne of Green Gables series
Little Women Series

Both of these literally focus on them dating and their relationships. Way worse than babysitter club

amother
Birch

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 4:07 pm
amother OP wrote:

Where on chinuch.org do you check books? Need to register for that?

bigsis144

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 4:30 pm
Look at the same list that is being made right now for 12 year old boys. I don’t think books should be separated by gender, though girls are more likely to read and enjoy “boys’” books with male protagonists and action/science/history.

- Rangers Apprentice
- Artemis Fowl
- Harry Potter
- Alcatraz vs The Evil Librarians
- Bartimaeus trilogy (it has a golem in an alternate magical history of our world!)
- There are a bazillion books and spin-offs in the Wings of Fire series, I haven’t read them all but the ones I have read are pretty kosher

GLUE

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 4:31 pm
Librarian wrote:
Anne of Green Gables

The author was an adult romance writer, this book is clean and the book in which she was teaching was also, I think
I would not recommend this author to a 12 year old
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room