Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
S/o "Doubling" and adhd?
Previous  1  2

amother
DarkViolet

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 11:11 am
amother Brass wrote:
It's one of the main characteristics. I recommend you read up a lot more about adhd.

Yes. It's mentioned in so many places and I've seen it in real life.
My belief is that adhd is but a symptom of a combination of current environment, upbringing and epigenetics.. change any of those and you'll see a change in symptoms.

amother
Brass

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 11:14 am
amother DarkViolet wrote:
Yes. It's mentioned in so many places and I've seen it in real life.
My belief is that adhd is but a symptom of a combination of current environment, upbringing and epigenetics.. change any of those and you'll see a change in symptoms.

I don't believe that upbringing and environment can create ADHD. It's a real hereditary diagnosis with similar range of symptoms.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 11:16 am
amother Brass wrote:
I don't believe that upbringing and environment can create ADHD. It's a real hereditary diagnosis with similar range of symptoms.

You may not see the adhd in a person that was raised in a different environment. Things can be real and hereditary but not present, like I said epigenetic.

amother
Brass

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 11:19 am
What's the science behind that theory?

And do you also believe that some people wouldn't need glasses if they were raised in a different environment?

amother
Arcticblue

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 11:25 am
Can she do homework in the kitchen while you make dinner? That’s what I did as a child.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 11:49 am
amother Brass wrote:
What's the science behind that theory?

And do you also believe that some people wouldn't need glasses if they were raised in a different environment?

Lots of science behind the theory. Don't have the time to find the name now of where I saw it.

Not a good example really but yes, so if you were raised in an environment where people are illiterate then your lack of perfect vision may not have an impact on your life. Think of people living in rough environments or wilderness where they don't need to see perfectly to hunt and the like.

Eta; Forgot the epigenetic point where your eyesight is great because the environment didn't cause the genes to react.

amother
Charcoal

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 2:24 pm
You may not see the adhd in a person that was raised in a different environment. Things can be real and hereditary but not present, like I said epigenetic.

ADHD may not present the same way in someone raised in certain environments, but if you put that person in a brain scanner it’ll look the same.

For example, from an evolution perspective, it’s very possible that ADHD-type brain function continued to be a selected-for trait because it’s actually really helpful to have the guards of your camp/village be people who are unable to tune out stimulus and who are good at focusing only when working as a team or with a shot of adrenaline. Those people wouldn’t look like they have ADHD in that environment because it’s not a pathology in their way of life and it doesn’t interfere with their function.

Alternatively, if you were raised in a home that understood ADHD and was both able to cater to your needs and teach the skills to survive in our world with it, it’s not going to present the same as someone who did not get that help and have those early behavioral skills made part of how they function. But again, you put them in an fMRI and you’ll see the same brain as you do with other people with ADHD.

amother
DarkRed

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 2:34 pm
amother Charcoal wrote:
ADHD may not present the same way in someone raised in certain environments, but if you put that person in a brain scanner it’ll look the same.

For example, from an evolution perspective, it’s very possible that ADHD-type brain function continued to be a selected-for trait because it’s actually really helpful to have the guards of your camp/village be people who are unable to tune out stimulus and who are good at focusing only when working as a team or with a shot of adrenaline. Those people wouldn’t look like they have ADHD in that environment because it’s not a pathology in their way of life and it doesn’t interfere with their function.

Alternatively, if you were raised in a home that understood ADHD and was both able to cater to your needs and teach the skills to survive in our world with it, it’s not going to present the same as someone who did not get that help and have those early behavioral skills made part of how they function. But again, you put them in an fMRI and you’ll see the same brain as you do with other people with ADHD.
Except most people today aren't being diagnosed based on scans, so you have no way of knowing if what you're calling adhd is actually a structural brain difference, a brain activity difference, or something else entirely. There are so many different causes for adhd and unless you actually test for them, you can't know what's causing them for one person vs another.

What's more, seeing a brain difference on a brain scan doesn't mean the brain difference is causing the symptoms. Sometimes it's the other way around, the behaviors and pathways that are reinforced by those behaviors are what's causing the structural or functional brain differences.

amother
Navyblue

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 4:56 pm
amother Peach wrote:
Do you have a source for that? For my peace of mind.
2 kids and spouse with adhd.

It would mean a lot to your spouse and children if you knew more about ADHD. Are you on Instagram? I can recommend several accounts.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 5:18 pm
piegirl wrote:
Omg. I was never diagnosed with adhd, but have a lot of symptoms. This is me exactly!!! With no one home I just sit, and when I need to do a big project I procrastinate so much unless I have someone there to do it with me. They literally could just be sitting on the bed while I go through my kids summer clothes and throw out donate etc and take out winter. I just can’t do it without someone there!!!!

omg this is me too!!!
when im home alone I get nothing done!! I just sit around and procrastinate!
I can only cook when my kids come home and are around the kitchen!
I never knew there was a term for this!!
Doubling!!!
it makes so much sense!
(btw I now have two intense jobs so I work overtime plus and I have a lot of cleaning help which makes me so much more functional that when I was a SAHM)
even today, I had a gap between two meetings and needed to make some work calls- while I am making the calls I got into my car and got some small appliances we need for Pesach...)
I drop a ton of balls though, btw....just today I forgot an important thing I needed for a meeting at home - even though I had prepared it with my purse and bag- as I was on a work call while rushing out...
wow wow wow

amother
DarkRed

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 5:24 pm
amother Navyblue wrote:
It would mean a lot to your spouse and children if you knew more about ADHD. Are you on Instagram? I can recommend several accounts.

Again, nobody is testing the dopamine levels of adults and children currently being diagnosed with adhd, so we don't know this across the board. If it wasn't tested, it's an assumption at best.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 5:26 pm
Lots of science behind the theory. Don't have the time to find the name now of where I saw it.

Not a good example really but yes, so if you were raised in an environment where people are illiterate then your lack of perfect vision may not have an impact on your life. Think of people living in rough environments or wilderness where they don't need to see perfectly to hunt and the like.

Eta; Forgot the epigenetic point where your eyesight is great because the environment didn't cause the genes to react.

I don't know...
years ago I read a book about a girl with vision issues raised in a non-academic society and it describes when the family moved to a different country and she was fitted with glasses, her entire world shifted...she was able to discern so many details that had previously been shrouded.
I think- and I don't have a scientific source behind me but I work in special ed and I have a child with ADHD- that ADHD does differ from physical senses such as hearing and sight.
ADHD has it's roots in neurology and the intertwinement of nature/nurture is simply more complex.
The brain is a more adaptive part of the human psyche and personality than the eyes are.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 5:30 pm
amother Honeysuckle wrote:
I don't know...
years ago I read a book about a girl with vision issues raised in a non-academic society and it describes when the family moved to a different country and she was fitted with glasses, her entire world shifted...she was able to discern so many details that had previously been shrouded.
I think- and I don't have a scientific source behind me but I work in special ed and I have a child with ADHD- that ADHD does differ from physical senses such as hearing and sight.
ADHD has it's roots in neurology and the intertwinement of nature/nurture is simply more complex.
The brain is a more adaptive part of the human psyche and personality than the eyes are.

It's because it is complex and adaptive that changes can have a big impact. You're ignoring the epigenetic part. There's definitely an environmental impact and nurturing impact. Never mind the sugar overload or lack of nutrition in many kids.

To just treat it as a purely medical thing is silly.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)