Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
How much did you spend on pesach groceries this year?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Hyacinth

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 3:01 pm
crazy to read the numbers...including my own.
we are 8 people (6 adult portions and 2 kids )
guests for 4 meals adds about 6 per those meals.
we don't buy any manufactured products
and yet I've spent 1k (GB pounds) and haven't bought matsah, f and v, we don't buy fancy wines, we don't eat meat more than 2 or 3 meals and it's the cheaper cuts....and still.....
no new clothes no new shoes....
literally just basics.

amother
Brass

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 6:32 pm
Family of 6, home all Yom Tov, having guests two meals.
$1,000 in gourmet glatt for KLP groceries and chicken and meat.
$500 in Costco for egg, fruits/veg, paper goods, and matzah
$50 for the “must” grape juice, that’s usable for the Seder (dunno any details, DH requested it)
$150 on a dehydrator to make dry fruits and beef jerky.

Assuming another $200 for last minute purchases next week.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 6:49 pm
We spent a good $2-3000.
However I buy in bulk before Pesach- chicken, chicken cutlets, chopped meat, seltzer, grape juice, disposable pans and cups, some canned goods, olive oil. I expect it to last me for quite a bit of time.
I did it last year, and the grape juice, seltzer, canned tuna, canned tomato sauce lasted until the summer
And the chicken and disposable pans lasted until after Shavuos.

So it's an investment for me.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 10:06 pm
1500 so far, including matza.
Still have to buy fresh produce and some paper goods
We are just 3 people for the first days, 10 for chol hamoed, 20 for second days

amother
Sunflower

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 11:30 pm
amother Lightcoral wrote:
Depending on how many people you are, it may be necessary to spend hundreds on wine even without a single expensive bottle. You need about 3/4 a bottle per seder per person. We are 12 people over Bar/Bas Mitzvah, so are getting 20 bottles just for the two sedarim, plus a few extra for Kiddush for other meals. On a regular Shabbos we only use grape juice, but Yom Tov is different. So 24 bottles at an average of $15/bottle (which is cheap!) is $360 plus tax.

I don't know what you buy, but our wine always cost at most $10 a bottle.
I'm surprised you have teenagers that drink only wine and if they do that they finish the whole kos rather than rov kos. That's a lot of alcohol.

amother
Candycane

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 2:42 am
So far I spent over $1500 on food and paper goods. Still have to get wine, fish, more grape juice, and produce. I expect that to add up to another $1,000. This is for 12 people for the whole Pesach, unknown amount of guests.

(I also spent about $400 on clothes, and $350 on other Pesach items. I will probably spend another $500 or so in this category.)

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 3:07 am
$1,000 for family of five including everything. Possibly a little less. Some of the shopping lasts until succos as I buy cases of paper goods which we only use for emergencies throughout the year as they are on sale now so technically it's more like $750.

I only buy 2 bottles of wine as only the men drink it, we save some from purim to keep cost down, we don't eat a lot of meat mostly chicken, fruits and vegetables, I buy the cheapest matzah from either moishas or krm so we save on that also.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 4:08 am
amother Lightcoral wrote:
Depending on how many people you are, it may be necessary to spend hundreds on wine even without a single expensive bottle. You need about 3/4 a bottle per seder per person. We are 12 people over Bar/Bas Mitzvah, so are getting 20 bottles just for the two sedarim, plus a few extra for Kiddush for other meals. On a regular Shabbos we only use grape juice, but Yom Tov is different. So 24 bottles at an average of $15/bottle (which is cheap!) is $360 plus tax.

We're not big wine drinkers, and dont have a developed palette, so we buy cheap wine. Its normally 25 NIS per bottle - around six or seven dollars. Maybe its cheaper in Israel thsn America. There are cheaper wines in the shop, but we don't like them.

Jewishmom8

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 4:57 am
I am having a lot of people over pesach IYH
I proabably will spend about 4500 SHEKEL including matzah and wine

widowed

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 5:09 am
So far I spent 3,000 for a family of 5 with 5 guest all meals I believe my total will be 8,000 .

amother
Bluebell

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 5:37 am
By the time I'm done it will be between $3000-3500, including meat, matza, fish, wine - everything, in short.

2 adults, 3 (pre-)teenagers for the first days, possibly one adult guest
3 adults, 3 pre- and teenagers for the rest of Pesach
possibly 8 guests for one meal

keym

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 6:21 am
amother Wheat wrote:
We're not big wine drinkers, and dont have a developed palette, so we buy cheap wine. Its normally 25 NIS per bottle - around six or seven dollars. Maybe its cheaper in Israel thsn America. There are cheaper wines in the shop, but we don't like them.

I was just in the wine store yesterday. Literally the cheapest bottle was $10.99.

We spend around $13/bottle because we buy lower alcohol wines for Arba Kosos

amother
Moccasin

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 6:25 am
Rashi light large non mevushal bottles are $8 apiece. That’s for the large bottles, so about $4 per regular bottle size. My husband prefers these for the Seder because they are non mevushal which makes them more mehudar, and they have lowest possible alcohol content at under 5% so as not to get drunk at the Seder, and not to worry as much about giving to kids if they want.

imaamy

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 6:48 am
I am surprised by these matzo prices! I don’t live in an area w Jewish stores but the local supermarket had 5 lbs of matzo for $12.99.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 6:59 am
Family of 7, with 11 joining for shabbos chol hamoed. Going away for shvii shel pesach.
The shabbos guests will be bringing a couple of mains and sides.
Spent about 2200 shekel so far, including grape juice (we don't like wine), matza and meat/chicken. Still need to buy fruit, veg and a few more things that were missing. Will probably come out to about 2600 shekel

amother
Wandflower

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 7:02 am
imaamy wrote:
I am surprised by these matzo prices! I don’t live in an area w Jewish stores but the local supermarket had 5 lbs of matzo for $12.99.

They are probably talking about shmura matzah

amother
Impatiens

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 11:09 am
imaamy wrote:

Handmade shmura is the expensive stuff. We bought two boxes of Pupa tzelem for $40/lb and one box of cRc mehudar matzah for like $20/lb. We only use it for the first days, but a lot of people are careful to use it for the whole chag.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 11:15 am
I think we've spent over $2k so far, and I still need to get produce, so it will probably be close to $2500. Family of 5, probably minimal meal guests if any and probably only last days if at all.

However, very little relatively speaking is exclusively only useful on pesach. Most items, food and non food, will be just as useful after pesach. I would say the only thing only useful for pesach is the potato starch. Even the matzah will be eaten year round if we still have it. And I usually save at least a pound for pesach sheini. I do by some non gebrokts pesach desserts, but they will still be eaten after pesach if they are still around.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 11:52 am
amother Wandflower wrote:
They are probably talking about shmura matzah

I got handmade shmura 12.99 lb

amother
Lightcyan

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 11:53 am
amother Wheat wrote:

In America there are cheap wines too. The one u get is around $7 for the bigger bottle.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics