Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Pesach programs that cancel. What do you do?
1  2  3  4  5  Next

happyone

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 11:10 am
https://www.theyeshivaworld.co......html

One in the news. Rumors of another cancellation. What in the world are those scheduled to attend are doing less than a week to pesach.

And the financial loss? Oy!

amother
Bone

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 11:22 am
Without exaggeration this is everyone’s worst nightmare. No idea what we would do. Bezh we should never know

amother
Garnet

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 11:29 am
Make pesach. Clean for 24 hours. Cover counters. Kasher oven and sinks.
Make fish and chicken soup. Plastic disposable goods for everything including bechers. Buy matzah and grape juice and you have pesach ready.
Or. Close the kitchen and go to the local chabad house.
Baruch Hashem it was not cancelled one day before Erev Pesach.

watergirl

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 11:35 am
amother Garnet wrote:
Make pesach. Clean for 24 hours. Cover counters. Kasher oven and sinks.
Make fish and chicken soup. Plastic disposable goods for everything including bechers. Buy matzah and grape juice and you have pesach ready.
Or. Close the kitchen and go to the local chabad house.
Baruch Hashem it was not cancelled one day before Erev Pesach.

The thing is, these people lost their money. I hope they can still make pesach!

amother
Dill

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 11:38 am
I dont understand what happened.
In the case posted on yeshivaworld, why cant the program continue? The program is saying that they were scammed? Who scammed them and how?

I dont get how scams happen when u have an actual physical reputable hotel, a contract, a chef and staff,mashgichim,entertainment etc lined up...who exactly scammed who?
Im sorry for sounding naive but I just dont get it

amother
Garnet

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 11:39 am
Yes I hope they will get refunded!

watergirl

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 11:40 am
amother Dill wrote:
I dont understand what happened.
In the case posted on yeshivaworld, why cant the program continue? The program is saying that they were scammed? Who scammed them and how?
I dont getnhow scams haplen when u have an actual physical reputable hotel, a contract, a chef and staff,mashgichim,entertainment etc lined up...who exactly scammed who?
Im sorry for sounding naive but I just dont get it

In a facebook group, apparently the owner wrote that he fell for a phishing scheme. This could happen to anyone - you open an email that was sent from a scam account - the email looks like it came from one of your contacts - and you click on a link embedded in the email. If it asks you for certain information and the person is not savvy enough to know this is a scam, you give the information and your money is gone. There people are often in other countries and there is no way to get the money back.

If what I read is true, this is just a reminder to all of us to be extremely careful and vigilant before clicking on links and even MORE vigilant before typing any information into one of these links. If anyone needs your account info, etc., and you get an email, text, or phone call, HANG UP and call the institution yourself to confirm they really contacted you for this information in the first place. If it's legit, they will be fully supportive of you doing this.

Just last month, the bank associated with my mortgage called me and asked me for sensitive information. I was not expecting this call, so I told her to be extra careful I was going to hang up and call back with the number I always used. She completely understood, as this is best practices when sensitive information is involved.

Last edited by watergirl on Thu, Mar 30 2023, 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Dill

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 11:44 am
watergirl wrote:
In a facebook group, apparently the owner wrote that he fell for a phishing scheme. This could happen to anyone - you open an email that was sent from a scam account - the email looks like it came from one of your contacts - and you click on a link embedded in the email. If it asks you for certain information and the person is not savvy enough to know this is a scam, you give the information and your money is gone.

Omg.
That is horrible.
So all the money that would-be guests already paid, was just sent to the scammer? And now theres no more money to make the program...
That does make sense.
How awful

watergirl

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 11:46 am
amother Dill wrote:
Omg.
That is horrible.
So all the money that would-be guests already paid, was just sent to the scammer? And now theres no more money to make the program...
That does make sense.
How awful

I edited my post with more info. It's just my speculation as to how someone would fall for a scheme. My FIL was a victim to this... it can happen to anyone if you are not savvy.

Yes, if he had all the money in one account, then I guess it's all gone.

Last edited by watergirl on Thu, Mar 30 2023, 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Peachpuff

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 11:46 am
watergirl wrote:
In a facebook group, apparently the owner wrote that he fell for a phishing scheme. This could happen to anyone - you open an email that was sent from a scam account - the email looks like it came from one of your contacts - and you click on a link embedded in the email. If it asks you for certain information and the person is not savvy enough to know this is a scam, you give the information and your money is gone.

This cannot just “happen to anyone”. When sending a wire that size you ALWAYS call to verify. I find it hard to believe he just sent ALL the funds to a phishing scheme. I don’t know anything about this program but I work with banks and send multitudes of large wires daily and something sounds very off here.

Queen Of Hearts

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 11:48 am
amother Peachpuff wrote:
This cannot just “happen to anyone”. When sending a wire that size you ALWAYS call to verify. I find it hard to believe he just sent ALL the funds to a phishing scheme. I don’t know anything about this program but I work with banks and send multitudes of large wires daily and something sounds very off here.

I agree.
And why should the clients be responsible to endure the loss due to his mistake??

watergirl

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 11:48 am
amother Peachpuff wrote:

Yes it can. If someone in his office clicked on a link that looked legit, and that someone is not street smart enough not to know better - yes it can happen.

I have no skin in this game, but I want to believe the best out of people, so if the guy said he fell for a phishing scheme, we should believe him.

Queen Of Hearts

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 11:49 am
watergirl wrote:
Yes it can. If someone in his office clicked on a link that looked legit, and that someone is not street smart enough not to know better - yes it can happen.

I have no skin in this game, but I want to believe the best out of people, so if the guy said he fell for a phishing scheme, we should believe him.

They should believe him to the tune of thousands of dollars?
Sounds like a creative scheme right there!

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 11:50 am
Delete

1ofbillions

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 12:07 pm
amother Ivory wrote:
deleted

Woah slow down there. Two bad reviews don’t say that much, my company has hundreds of them and we do a great job. Some customers have crazy demands and will leave bad reviews if we don’t give in to them.

It’s possible that he is a crook. But it’s also possible that he’s not. Feeling sure enough to malign someone publicly takes a lot more research than this.

This man’s wife may be on the site. Don’t jump to conclusions.

Last edited by 1ofbillions on Thu, Mar 30 2023, 2:10 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 12:11 pm
watergirl wrote:

Even if he fell for a scheme, that doesn't absolve him of his responsibilities to his clients. He is contractually obligated to them. He should eat the loss.

I feel terrible for the customers who lost out here.

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 12:13 pm
1ofbillions wrote:
Woah slow down there. Two bad BBB reviews don’t say that much, my company has hundreds of them and we do a great job. Some customers have crazy demands and will leave bad reviews if we don’t give in to them.

It’s possible that he is a crook. But it’s also possible that he’s not. Feeling sure enough to malign someone publicly takes a lot more research than this.

This man’s wife may be on the site. Don’t jump to conclusions.

You're right I shouldn't jump to conclusions. I just saw too many comments on social media how this guy owes money to a lot of people that have worked for him in the past. This story stinks. But you have a point and ill delete my previous post.

watergirl

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 12:45 pm
amother Cantaloupe wrote:
Even if he fell for a scheme, that doesn't absolve him of his responsibilities to his clients. He is contractually obligated to them. He should eat the loss.

I feel terrible for the customers who lost out here.

I am in no way absolving him of his commitments to his clients. Never having gone to a program like this before (or any), I have no idea what the small print says on these contracts with the program and the customer, or what if anything the program agrees to do. Like I said initially, I feel horrible for the people who lost their money and daven they get it back.

It's also true that knowing nothing about this situation, I lose nothing by hoping for the best for everyone.

gr82no

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 12:52 pm
Wouldn’t most of the money be out of his account already? It’s a week till Pesach everything needs a deposit

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 12:54 pm
Well either they find another program or they make pesach.
I haven’t started prepping yet so …. It’s not that hard to do. Just annoying if you were prepared to be away.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics