Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
How much did you spend on pesach groceries this year?
Previous  1  2  3

aunty c

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 12:02 pm
Wowow!!! Jewish aconomy is booming !

amother
Candycane

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 12:32 pm
amother Lightcyan wrote:
I got handmade shmura 12.99 lb

We did too, but had to shlep to Boro Park for it. We eat about 25lb over Pesach, and thankfully we are not brand loyal.

We will get mostly wine for $3.50 a bottle, and a few $10 more mehudar wine.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 12:35 pm
amother Sunflower wrote:
I don't know what you buy, but our wine always cost at most $10 a bottle.
I'm surprised you have teenagers that drink only wine and if they do that they finish the whole kos rather than rov kos. That's a lot of alcohol.

I live OOT. I wish we could find wine for $10 a bottle!!

Regarding the teenagers, I can't tell my 17 and 19 year old sons who are very makpid on Halacha not to have the correct shiur for the sedarim. For other meals, they do not drink.

amother
Bluebell

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 12:43 pm
Also, they don't drink four cups one right after the other. There's quite a gap between numbers one and two, another gap - albeit smaller - till three and yeah, three and four are pretty close but after that you go to sleep.

I drank exclusively wine for the seder from the age of 14 or so (heavy Malaga, no light wines available at that time) and was never told not to.

amother
Magnolia

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 12:44 pm
amother Seafoam wrote:
I think we've spent over $2k so far, and I still need to get produce, so it will probably be close to $2500. Family of 5, probably minimal meal guests if any and probably only last days if at all.

However, very little relatively speaking is exclusively only useful on pesach. Most items, food and non food, will be just as useful after pesach. I would say the only thing only useful for pesach is the potato starch. Even the matzah will be eaten year round if we still have it. And I usually save at least a pound for pesach sheini. I do by some non gebrokts pesach desserts, but they will still be eaten after pesach if they are still around.
I use potato starch all year round. I use to to thicken pie fillings and crumbles and to dredge chicken before breading among other uses.

amother
Peony

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 12:49 pm
Anyone else makes their own wine? It takes a lot of work but if done right it’s worth it.
It’s not much cheaper it comes out to about ten dollars a bottle but we do it for kashrus reasons. Also you pay for it tishrei time.
We buy chickens by the case.
We don’t use any bought products ( eat matzah we make in our chaburah)
Our expenses is basically paper goods- about 100$
Eggs, fruits and vegetables- don’t know how much yet.
Matzah 37 lb
Chicken about 15/20 a whole chicken
Wine about 10 a bottle
No meat or fish

ETA I forgot we do buy salt that’s about 6$ for a big container of kosher salt

jeg

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 1:04 pm
2 adults, 2 kids, one infant and a few guests in an expensive city. At family for first days. We will use one bottle of $10-12 wine (kosherwine.com has awesome deals), the rest prob grape juice to save $. 9lbs of regular matzo but some is whole wheat so maybe $20. Anticipating $75 of meat. Probably $60 of cheese (nothing fancy just a lot of it). So far like $18 on plastic tablecloths alone. And still much more stuff to buy.

max

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 1:43 pm
So far zero! Busy at work, motzei Shabbat cleaning and kashering will begin followed by shopping Sunday I imagine it will be a little higher than last year but I am not worried HaShem has a plan and has it covered!

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 1:45 pm
Just spent $28 on an electric potato peeler.
We are loving it! Best investment so far!!

amother
Lightcyan

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 2:03 pm
amother Lightcoral wrote:
I live OOT. I wish we could find wine for $10 a bottle!!

Regarding the teenagers, I can't tell my 17 and 19 year old sons who are very makpid on Halacha not to have the correct shiur for the sedarim. For other meals, they do not drink.

The correct shiur isn't a huge kos. It's a few ounces. Get cups that are exactly the right amount or close to it.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 2:19 pm
amother Lightcyan wrote:
The correct shiur isn't a huge kos. It's a few ounces. Get cups that are exactly the right amount or close to it.

Depends on what shiur you go by.

We hole that we are REQUIRED to use a kos of 5.1oz and drink rov of it, but it's better to drink all of it. And the 4th kos, we are required to drink all of it (or it starts Bracha acharona problems).
And we spill during the makkos by tilting the kos.
Practically that means each person uses a full 750mL bottle each Seder.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 2:22 pm
amother Lightcyan wrote:

I do have 4 oz. cups for myself and for my girls, but the boys have engraved silver bechers that were gifted to them by grandparents for their Bar Mitzvahs and they are special, so they want to use them. We kasher the silver bechers every year. They are not huge and honestly, what would I be saving - 1-2 bottles of wine total? It's not such a big deal.

squirrel

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 7:56 pm
amother SandyBrown wrote:
So far about $100. All I bought was chocolate 🫣.

You need to have priorities

C'mon with such great humor you cant go anon!

amother
Candycane

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 2:45 pm
amother Candycane wrote:
So far I spent over $1500 on food and paper goods. Still have to get wine, fish, more grape juice, and produce. I expect that to add up to another $1,000. This is for 12 people for the whole Pesach, unknown amount of guests.

(I also spent about $400 on clothes, and $350 on other Pesach items. I will probably spend another $500 or so in this category.)

So far spent over $3250 on food, clothes, paper goods, and other Pesach things.
It looks like it will cost us closer to $4,000 (or a little over) when we're done.

amother
Chicory

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 5:36 pm
260$ for 2 adults

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 5:48 pm
9 adults, 6 kids
We got tomchei shabbos. It would be impossible to do pesach on our own. Already spent about $700 and went to the food bank for a lot of fruits and vegetables! Can't Believe It
Nothing super fancy!

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 5:50 pm
not sure how much I spent, but ALOT...
just did like the 6th grocery run for another few hundred dollars...

imaamy

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 6:03 pm
amother Impatiens wrote:
Handmade shmura is the expensive stuff. We bought two boxes of Pupa tzelem for $40/lb and one box of cRc mehudar matzah for like $20/lb. We only use it for the first days, but a lot of people are careful to use it for the whole chag.

My husband likes shmura but no one else so I buy regular.

SG18

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 6:14 pm
About $300 USD. Two adults + toddler.
Including everything- handmade shmurah matzah, meat, etc. In Israel.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics