Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Language based learning disability and adhd

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 8:00 pm
Is there an organization that can help me navigate getting the best services for my son in his 1st grade mainstream regular frum school in NY. My son struggles with dyslexia/ADHD and executive functioning issues that are significantly impacting his ability to keep up in his mainstream setting. He currently has an IEP with a speech and language diagnosis and receives all therapies however, he is very behind academically in all subjects. My son has friends in his class and no behavioral issues so I do not want to put him in a special Ed school. The school has suggested he repeat the grade but I know in my heart that is not the answer. Please, any help is greatly appreciated.

amother
Canary

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 8:08 pm
amother OP wrote:
Is there an organization that can help me navigate getting the best services for my son in his 1st grade mainstream regular frum school in NY. My son struggles with dyslexia/ADHD and executive functioning issues that are significantly impacting his ability to keep up in his mainstream setting. He currently has an IEP with a speech and language diagnosis and receives all therapies however, he is very behind academically in all subjects. My son has friends in his class and no behavioral issues so I do not want to put him in a special Ed school. The school has suggested he repeat the grade but I know in my heart that is not the answer. Please, any help is greatly appreciated.

Have you tried Yahalom? Part of Agudah.

Also, completely agree with you that if the only concern is academic, repeating won't help.

oneofakind

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 8:28 pm
Is he on medication? Would it be helpful?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 9:04 pm
We just recently started medication (literally a few days ago) and see a huge improvement in his attention ca”h, which is why I am researching setts type services that can hopefully help him to catch up over the summer and during the school year, rather than falling further behind when they go much faster and have much higher writing, reading, and academic demands in 2nd grade.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 9:10 pm
Where are you located? Please look into Gesher in the 5 Towns. They are opening a second grade for the first time next year.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 9:26 pm
Is it similar to Gesher yehuda in brooklyn? Can you tell me about it? We are close to brooklyn but live over an hour away from the 5 towns. Is that crazy for a young child to travel so long? I want him to learn in the best way for him but also have good friends and not be around kids with poor social or behaviors…

amother
Hydrangea

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 9:39 pm
amother Canary wrote:
Have you tried Yahalom? Part of Agudah.

Also, completely agree with you that if the only concern is academic, repeating won't help.

When does repeating help?

OP those are significant barriers to learning. I know in NY and NJ there are frum schools for children with language based learning disabilities.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 9:41 pm
There is Sinai, Shefa, Shalshelet.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 9:44 pm
amother OP wrote:
Is it similar to Gesher yehuda in brooklyn? Can you tell me about it? We are close to brooklyn but live over an hour away from the 5 towns. Is that crazy for a young child to travel so long? I want him to learn in the best way for him but also have good friends and not be around kids with poor social or behaviors…

I don't know anything about Gesher Yehuda but I can tell you that Gesher in 5T is NOT a special ed school or a school meant for behavioral children and they successfully transition most of their students back to mainstream schools. They have a language-based learning curriculum for children who have difficulties like your son. If you think the commute might be an option I think you should try calling the school and finding out more about it/scheduling an interview.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 11:30 pm
I am hearing about countless wonderful programs in 5 towns, this is not the 1st. I am beyond impressed with the resources that 5 towns has for kids with learning disabilities. If only we lived closer and could afford these schools…

amother
Hydrangea

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 11:32 pm
What about Sinai, Shefa, or Shalahelet.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 11:36 pm
Mosaic has a 5 day reading program specifically for kids with dyslexia. They've seen major success with a large number of students.
Info@mosaicsolution.org
718-550-9991

amother
Canary

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 11:39 pm
amother Hydrangea wrote:
When does repeating help?

OP those are significant barriers to learning. I know in NY and NJ there are frum schools for children with language based learning disabilities.

In my experience, very rarely. If a child is immature and getting a lot of therapy, sometimes the extra year is beneficial for catch-up.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 11:57 pm
amother Canary wrote:
In my experience, very rarely. If a child is immature and getting a lot of therapy, sometimes the extra year is beneficial for catch-up.

That’s good to hear. The school also suggested my dd repeat a grade and I refused.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 12:00 am
amother Hydrangea wrote:
What about Sinai, Shefa, or Shalahelet.

Looking into these, thank you.

amother
Canary

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 12:00 am
amother Hydrangea wrote:
That’s good to hear. The school also suggested my dd repeat a grade and I refused.

I'm in the field. Look up the research. Retention rarely makes a difference in the long run unless there are very specific circumstances. Very often it makes a problem worse, or masks a problem until it is late in the game to address. I find that frum schools suggest this course of action without a full understanding of the ramifications.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 8:03 am
amother Canary wrote:
I'm in the field. Look up the research. Retention rarely makes a difference in the long run unless there are very specific circumstances. Very often it makes a problem worse, or masks a problem until it is late in the game to address. I find that frum schools suggest this course of action without a full understanding of the ramifications.

Thank you so much you are giving me chizzuk. Can you share a little more about the specific circumstances and the ramifications?

amother
Hydrangea

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 5:01 pm
Bump.

mha3484

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 5:07 pm
This sounds a lot like my 8 year old. ADHD and struggled very much with reading in pre1a and some of 1st grade. Also kriah. He is the second oldest in his class he did an extra year of preschool. That was the best thing for him, if he was the class baby these issues would be a lot worse. But otherwise I agree about repeating once your past pre1a.

He got a lot of help in school. The teachers use Wilson Fundations in the resource room which was a better method for him to learn reading then what the classroom morah was using. Also the one to one attention was key for the ADD.

The other thing that really helped was his 1st grade reading group teacher was also the school speech therapist. He made a lot of progress working with her. I think her SLP training combined with the Wilson Fundations training was great for him.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics