Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Kashering oven

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 8:01 pm
I have a brand new GE profile slide in oven that I would like to kasher for pesach.

I’ve heard that self cleaning often breaks ovens. Is putting the oven on 500 degrees for two hours good enough?

Also can I put the grates in the oven to kasher them? Someone told me they buy a new set of grates for pesach so the finishing on the grates doesn’t get ruined from the heat of the oven

amother
Hibiscus

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 8:04 pm
We do 550 for 40 minutes and out the grates in according to Star K. No problem with the grates.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 8:29 pm
amother Hibiscus wrote:
We do 550 for 40 minutes and out the grates in according to Star K. No problem with the grates.

Thank you!

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 8:37 pm
If it matters to you, then you should ask your husband or your rav. Not everyone holds the same way, and pesach is one of those times where people are very strict about how they hold.

amother
Zinnia

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 8:40 pm
I posted on the other thread- DH does appliance repair and he said self clean can often ruin the control board. He spoke to his rav about it in detail and was told he can tell clients to put oven on 500 for 2 hours

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 8:46 pm
Check your grates. If they have little rubber feet, you won't want to place them in the oven. They kasher very easily just on top the flame. Do you need instructions?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 6:35 am
ra_mom wrote:
Check your grates. If they have little rubber feet, you won't want to place them in the oven. They kasher very easily just on top the flame. Do you need instructions?

They don’t have rubber feet
But yes I’ll benefit from instructions!

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 9:02 am
amother Zinnia wrote:
I posted on the other thread- DH does appliance repair and he said self clean can often ruin the control board. He spoke to his rav about it in detail and was told he can tell clients to put oven on 500 for 2 hours

Unless his clients have the same rav, I don't see how he can tell people it's okay. 500 for 2 hours is not okay for us. It's self clean cycle or blow torch. Yes, the finish in the over looks duller. Yes, the racks don't slide so nicely anymore. Yes, there is a risk of damage to the "brains" of the oven (pretty obnoxious that the companies making these ovens can't figure out how to arrange it so you can use your self clean feature without risking destroying the oven). But for some of us there is no choice.

amother
Zinnia

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 10:47 am
amother Wine wrote:
Unless his clients have the same rav, I don't see how he can tell people it's okay. 500 for 2 hours is not okay for us. It's self clean cycle or blow torch. Yes, the finish in the over looks duller. Yes, the racks don't slide so nicely anymore. Yes, there is a risk of damage to the "brains" of the oven (pretty obnoxious that the companies making these ovens can't figure out how to arrange it so you can use your self clean feature without risking destroying the oven). But for some of us there is no choice.

ok...this is what our rav told my dh to tell people in the community since people were calling the rav and the rav wanted to meet with my husband to discuss it.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 10:54 am
amother OP wrote:
They don’t have rubber feet
But yes I’ll benefit from instructions!

Clean grates. Clean blech or metal cookie sheet. Place the clean metal sheet on top of the grates and turn up flames to highest setting. Wait until grates glow, a bit red. This can take half hour.

If they don't have rubber feet I do prefer to put them in the oven to 550 for 40 minutes, for libun kal.

Last edited by ra_mom on Fri, Mar 31 2023, 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 12:21 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you!

Please ask your Rav about this and don't rely on an answer from here! There are several different options regarding kashering an oven. According to the OK, it must be self cleaned or blow torched.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 12:30 pm
amother Aubergine wrote:
Please ask your Rav about this and don't rely on an answer from here! There are several different options regarding kashering an oven. According to the OU, it must be self cleaned or blow torched.

That is not even true. OU gives instructions for kashering:

amother
Poinsettia

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 12:46 pm
Dh’s family would not rely on anything lighter than self clean or blow torch. In the pre self clean days that died a box inside the oven or made everything on the stove top.
My family did rely on burning it out at 500 but it’s a LOT more work and time than self clean so. You have to actually clean your oven really well and then wait 24 hours neither of which are required if you self clean.

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 12:58 pm
amother Hibiscus wrote:
That is not even true. OU gives instructions for kashering:

Oops, I meant OK.
In any case, OP must ask a sheila.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 2:33 pm
amother Aubergine wrote:
Oops, I meant OK.
In any case, OP must ask a sheila.

She doesn't have to ask a sheila. If she holds by ou or star k she can follow their instructions.

pause

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 3:03 pm
Since when does self-cleaning an oven ONCE a year mean doing it often? Often (to me) would be once a month. If the oven couldn't handle to be self-cleaned ever, it wouldn't come with that feature.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 3:17 pm
Self cleaning even once a year can cause the igniter to go. Sad fact. But we utilize it when needed anyway.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 3:21 pm
pause wrote:
Since when does self-cleaning an oven ONCE a year mean doing it often? Often (to me) would be once a month. If the oven couldn't handle to be self-cleaned ever, it wouldn't come with that feature.

I had an oven and it died from just running self clean once. I read reviews online and it was a known issue with this oven. Obviously it's wrong to sell a product that is guaranteed to break due to normal use but unfortunately that is how some are made. And it does due damage over time.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics