Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Any suggestions for a badly scraped wood floor in some areas

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 9:05 pm
We bought an older house that has wooden floors from the entrance down to the hallway leading into the kitchen. It's all connected, no thresholds or anything.

Most of the floor is in ok condition except for one large area in the kitchen where the prior owners had their table.
It's really badly scratched there.
I try ignoring it but it really bothers me.

The issue is, to fix it we would need to do a scrape and shine on the entire wood floor from the entrance all the way to to the kitchen.
We dont have the money for that right now and besides, it feels like such a waste when the rest of the floor is on good condition.

Is there anything that can be done to fix just that area?

amother
NeonBlue

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 9:29 pm
Can you put an easily vacuumable rug on that area?

amother
Lightyellow

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 10:01 pm
Following

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 10:01 pm
Did you try doing a wood floor marker to fill in the scratches? That should make it a lot less noticeable. The other option is doing a rig in your kitchen over that area.

puzzlepieces

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 10:08 pm
Is it a dark or light wood? Can you try something like this? https://www.amazon.com/Old-Eng.....KFJHK
It covered a few scratches on our dark wood floors

Amarante

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 10:19 pm
Put down an inexpensive area rug and live with it until you can refinish

Alternatively since it is the kitchen which is a separate space, get some nice luxury vinyl flooring or other option for the floors. Just don't have a wood pattern - have something that looks well with the wood where it abuts.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 10:30 am
puzzlepieces wrote:
Is it a dark or light wood? Can you try something like this? https://www.amazon.com/Old-Eng.....KFJHK
It covered a few scratches on our dark wood floors

This looks so cool, does it really work? My floors are pretty light though.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 10:30 am
amother Papaya wrote:
Did you try doing a wood floor marker to fill in the scratches? That should make it a lot less noticeable. The other option is doing a rig in your kitchen over that area.

Can you link?

Whats a rig?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 10:32 am
Amarante wrote:
Put down an inexpensive area rug and live with it until you can refinish

Alternatively since it is the kitchen which is a separate space, get some nice luxury vinyl flooring or other option for the floors. Just don't have a wood pattern - have something that looks well with the wood where it abuts.

A rug in the kitchen? Wouldnt it get gross?

I looked into laying down LVT-it costs just as much if not more than refinishing the wood. Sad
Because it would have to be the whole entrace and hall too.

Amarante

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 10:42 am
amother OP wrote:
A rug in the kitchen? Wouldnt it get gross?

I looked into laying down LVT-it costs just as much if not more than refinishing the wood. Sad
Because it would have to be the whole entrace and hall too.

It depends as people do put down rugs in their kitchens. Typically they are runners. They are washable and made specifically for kitchens. Some people have them to protect high traffic areas if they have wood floors.

I was assuming that you could put area kitchen rugs in the areas that are most visible or damaged

I am not suggesting this specific rig but if you google kitchen rugs there are many options

https://ruggable.com/products/.....w_wcB

This explains how it is easily washed. Again I don’t have it so not specifically recommending it but just letting you know that there are rugs used in kitchens of all different kinds depending on needs

Detach, Reattach, Repeat
Thanks to our innovative Cling Effect™ technology, our Rug Cover can be detached and reattached to the Rug Pad without losing its grip.

When it's time for a wash, simply remove the Rug Cover from the Pad, throw it in the washer and dryer, and reattach it back to the Pad. Voilà-enjoy a clean rug all the time

amother
Zinnia

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 10:46 am
Are the scratches deep? Or just surface level?

You can for sure get a pen to fill in the scratches with color. We have one that we use all the time. If the scratches are deep, I am not sure what the best diy fix would be.

mha3484

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 10:46 am
When we bought our house it was a mix of carpet and linoleum. The previous owner put carpet down over the wood because she was elderly and concerned for falling I think. The floors were so so underneath.

We took out the living and dining room carpet when we first moved in and finished the wood. I also replaced the kitchen floor with ceramic tile.

We just did the bedroom floors recently, 4 years after we moved. It would have been a lot easier doing it all at once but it worked out fine in the end. You can re finish one room without doing the rest.

s c

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 12:26 pm
Following because I have exactly the same problem from chairs and table badly damaging the floor. Am going to have to redo the whole kitchen. I don't like the look of a rug under the table and it's impractical as it would have to be hoovered after every meal. Don't waste your time with pens or cream infills. They don't work in kitchens because you constantly have to wet clean the floor and rhey just come right off.

Librarian

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 12:32 pm
I found Old English to work really well. They have a light wood version I used on blond wood floors.

motheroftoo

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 1:09 pm
I think there is a liquid wax you can use. I once saw a YouTube video of how to do it

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 4:34 pm
did you get an estimate?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics