Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Side Dishes - Can Be Made in Advance
Previous  1  2

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 10:22 pm
Sticks of parsnip, carrots and beets, roasted separately and arranged on a platter in 3 rows is gorgeous. And delicious with kosher salt.

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, Mar 30 2023, 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

flowerpower

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 10:22 pm
amother Cerulean wrote:
How do you make mock cabbage and noodles

Shred a lot of kohlorabi in the processor. Sprinkle salt and let sit for 20 minutes. Squeeze out the liquid. Saute with oil black pepper salt and oil for around 25 minutes. Mix with cut up lukshin.

pause

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 10:24 pm
chili-n-cholent wrote:
I did 2 onions, 2 carrots and one big kohlrabi, I literally never buy it besides for Pesach so I have no clue if it was extra large or that's the normal size.
Once I shredded it in the food processor I got a lot out of it. I used the medium shredded blade, not the thin strands for more texture.

Same here. I never use kohlrabi, but Pesach it features in quite a few recipes. I used to make mock cole slaw out of it, but no one in my family ate it except me, so I don't bother anymore. I also use it to flavor soups and falshe fish.

asmileaday

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 10:26 pm
I know you said potato kugel is for shabbos but one year I made a bunch of mini potato kugels in the small round bilkele pan. Popped it out of the pan and froze. Rewarmed on yomtov and served it with pulled beef on top. It was pretty and a favorite for my kids as they love kugel.
I'll probably do it again this year.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 10:27 pm
pause wrote:
I have no patience to peel tomatoes. I do it sparingly for fresh vegetable salad, but for a side dish, I'd rather just skip it and make something else.

I buy big hard ones. You only need 2….

flowerpower

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 10:28 pm
Apple crumb is easy and delicious

I want to try the plum crumble from the Whisk

pause

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 10:35 pm
flowerpower wrote:
I buy big hard ones. You only need 2….

OK, two I can do.

How do you prepare the eggplant?

The letcho can be made in advance and frozen, but what about the eggplant? Does that freeze well too?

pause

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 10:36 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Apple crumb is easy and delicious

I want to try the plum crumble from the Whisk

I have my apple cobblers all done in the freezer already. My kids eat it as dessert. I don't like to serve fruit with chicken or meat.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 10:43 pm
pause wrote:
OK, two I can do.

The letcho can be made in advance and frozen, but what about the eggplant? Does that freeze well too?

I do egg starch egg. Its so fluffy and crispy. I fry that fresh but my mom fries it before Pesach.

dankbar

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 10:43 pm
Liver blintzes freeze well

Saute zucchini with onions, you can freeze and when you reheat, you can beat in an egg instead of tomato sauce.

Fresh you can do baked apple with diff toppings

Fresh rupetcrumpli

Fresh carrot chips

You can freeze spaghetti squash kugel that 0tastes like Yerushalmi kugel

You can do lukshen apple kugel with Shredded crepes and largely grated apples

Glazed carrots with pineapple you can freeze

Shepherds pie You can freeze

Browned minced meat you can freeze then eat it with Matzo or in a crepe with avocado, cucumbers like taco.

You can Sautee Shredded soup chicken with onions, carrots and zucchini and place in a crepe . You can freeze it, or eat it plain with Matzo.

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 4:57 am
pause wrote:
I have my apple cobblers all done in the freezer already. My kids eat it as dessert. I don't like to serve fruit with chicken or meat.

Can you share your cobbler please? I only have one that needs to be made fresh Erev Yt.

Also I roast green and yellow squash with red onions and radishes.
Delicious combo but never tried freezing.

Iymnok

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 5:24 am
I love egg rolls with the pesach crepes. I fill them with sautéed cabbage and carrots. Though any shredded vegetable combination should work. Add a bit of s&p.
Fry to brown them just before serving.

pause

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 8:41 am
amother Pewter wrote:
Can you share your cobbler please? I only have one that needs to be made fresh Erev Yt.

Also I roast green and yellow squash with red onions and radishes.
Delicious combo but never tried freezing.

I freezer my cobbler raw and then bake it fresh erev YT. That's the secret. Happens to be this year I tried a new recipe from this site. https://www.imamother.com/foru.....1797. Other years, I sliced a variety of apples, mix the apples together with lemon juice and honey, and then sprinkle on top chopped nuts.

doodlesmom

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 8:46 am
Just saying when you buy large tough tomatoes, and keep them in the fridge, and large peppers that don’t have deep ridges, more flat kind, then they’re as easy to peel as a cucumber. No fancy peeler, and no boiled water necessary.

You can then make delicious letcho etc…

Highstrung

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 8:49 am
pause wrote:
OK, two I can do.

Sure . You can bread the eggplant with almond flour and seasoning . Dip in egg first , then almond flour then fry . Freezes beautifully . I do that for eggplant Parmesan even during the year when doing a low carb diet . You don’t need to fry , you can spray with oil spray and bake on 400 10 min on each side

Last edited by Highstrung on Fri, Mar 31 2023, 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 8:50 am
pause wrote:
We only use vegetables that can be peeled. I'm looking for some fresh inspiration for side dishes that can be made and frozen in advance.
Here's what I've done in the past:
Doughless potato knishes
Vegetable kugel
2 layer squash kugel (bottom layer is mock kishka)
Potato blintzes
Vegetable blintzes

I make fresh salad and if needed fresh mashed potatoes. I make roasted vegetables erev YT.

If you have time, could you please share that recipe. (If it's non-gebrokts).

doodlesmom

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 9:50 am
Tzimmes, sweet carrots can be made in advance.

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 12:20 pm
pause wrote:
I freezer my cobbler raw and then bake it fresh erev YT. That's the secret. Happens to be this year I tried a new recipe from this site. https://www.imamother.com/foru.....1797. Other years, I sliced a variety of apples, mix the apples together with lemon juice and honey, and then sprinkle on top chopped nuts.

Thanks. Easier to do in advance and bake.

maze

Post Sat, Apr 01 2023, 9:54 pm
amother Steelblue wrote:
Don't know that these are my exact recipes but shld be good!

Pineapple Kugel

4 eggs
½ cup oil
½ cup sugar
4 level tablespoons potato starch
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking powder
10 cored pineapple rings, crushed (the equivalent of 1 20-ounce can crushed pineapple, drained)

Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Combine eggs, oil, sugar, potato starch, vanilla, and baking powder. Add the crushed pineapple (if juice has accumulated since the pineapple has been processed, drain). Garnish with additional pineapple rings. Place into a round 9-inch pan and bake for 40 minutes or until golden.

Carrot Muffins

4 eggs
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 cup oil
2 cans sliced carrots mashed up
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup almond flour
1 1/4 cup potato starch

Cream eggs and sugars. Add oil and carrots. Whisk together. Add the rest of the ingredients and whisk it all together. Divide the batter into muffin tins lined with paper muffin cups. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes.

How many muffins do you get from this recipe?

newinbp

Post Sat, Apr 01 2023, 10:06 pm
How do you make pesach crepes? Thanks gut voch Smile
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics