Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How do you organize your pantry>

RedVines

Post Sun, Jun 29 2008, 10:09 am
we just moved and I have these two huge cabinets and that is pretty much it for food storage (for right now) Just curious on what some of you do. do you label, how do yous separate...I.e categories? I have to share the cabinets with dishes as well.

TIA

out-of-town

Post Sun, Jun 29 2008, 10:45 am
I have 3 super long shelves for my pantry. I use one for all my baking stuff (flour, sugar, sprinkles) and spices and nuts
one for all the pasta and rice and snacks
one for all my canned goods and plastic utensils and paper plates.
I have different cabinets for all my dishes though. Good luck fitting everything in!

knishes

Post Sun, Jun 29 2008, 10:06 pm
My saving grace is TUPPERWARE!
TG I got lots of it...I ptu ething it the containers and it fits in so much mroe into the pantry..
I have narrow shelves x 6 so I use 1. Oil Vinegar Tall bottles 2. Random small bottles, soupmix etc 3. Tupperware containers 4. same 5. Flour baking stuff 6. Cans tins etc
Have fun!

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Jun 29 2008, 10:17 pm
The most important question to keep in mind when you organize your kitchen is what do you use the most? Keep those things within easy reach. If you are short like me, then it's helpful to have a step stool to access the higher shelves. If you have kids who tend to get into your cabinets, then make sure not to put anything that can make a real mess where they can reach it.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Jun 29 2008, 10:20 pm
I have cans and glass containers on the bottom. Just in case anything falls, it doesn't go such a long way. LOL

HAPPYMOMMY

Post Sun, Jun 29 2008, 10:25 pm
My pantry is very deep which makes it hard to reach the back items. I put the items I use less in the back. However, on the shelves that are on my level/easy reach I use these large round turntables (sort of like a lazy susan type of thing) so all I need to do is turn the tray and presto, easy access! I do admit that I do lose some space since it is round and I lose the corners, but since my cabinet is so deep I would never find the things in the back. Tupperware is great for organization too.

Amital

Post Mon, Jun 30 2008, 3:20 am
I organize like a store. I try to keep things that I use together together, but also have areas with sections. And yes, I label everything--if I don't my "helpers" would put everything away wherever was convenient for them, and we'd never find it...until Passover cleaning, that is.

For example, I have a cooking section with a plastic basket of sauces, vinegars, etc. and a basket with mixes like rice pilaf and mac and cheese. Next to that, I have a rack for all spices and dry goods like beans, lentils, rice, and soup mix. There's a seperate space for all canned goods, which I label tomato products, fruits/veggies, etc. I have the pasta near the tomato sauce, all the Mexican and Indian food ingredients together. I have a baking ingredients section, and the flours and sugars I keep in cereal tupperwares--tall to fill the shelf and make the most use of space. Keeps the bugs out. I have a spot for cereals and other breakfast food and a bottom shelf back row of the bulk bags (rice, giant vinegar, 10 lb flour, big oil, etc).

And my kids' favorite is their section, on a shelf about tummy high for them and in a basket. I have snacks they can have anytime there. Even my 1 year old can get it himself! (Cereal portioned into baggies, raisins, fruit leathers, crackers preportioned, etc.)

I do keep a minimal amount on my counter for easy use: nonstick spray, pourable olive and canola oils, salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper. We use those daily, so putting them in my pantry would be a bother, and I'm quite sure they wouldn't be put back regularly, anyway! Very Happy

Pizza

Post Mon, Jun 30 2008, 7:30 am
My pantry is a few shelves in the kitchen
I put pasta on the bottom shelf, then canned fruits and vegetables and tuna
Third shelf is tomato sauce and paste (we use a lot)
Top two shelves are items we use less frequently, or things I bought extras of, like ketchup on sale and bulk crackers, or special salad additions (hearts of palm, etc)

I keep baking ingredients with my baking tins, mixing bowls, measuring cups, etc

I keep nosh in a separate cabinet, for shabbos party

I have a low drawer that my kids can access for pretzels, crackers, and healthy noshes

Nomad

Post Mon, Jun 30 2008, 9:14 am
I buy wire shelves that I place inside the pantry shelves so its divided in half.

check out this page:
http://stacksandstacks.com/kit.....zers/

I also bought a spice rack that can be nailed onto the wall to save cabinet space.

The top of the refrigerator can be used to store items. But its warm - so not things that can melt...

if you have wall space, definitely put up shelving

if you have counter space, try to use that also for storage

like other posters said, I put more used things towards the front and less used things toward the back...
and heavier things like cans and dishes I would put more on the bottom shelves so that I dont drop them by accident from a top shelf
and I also put things together by category...like all the baking stuff goes next to eachother and all the sauces are next to eachother...
good luck!

mummy-bh

Post Mon, Jun 30 2008, 9:54 am
My method of organisation is very simple -

Anything I don't want the babies to get hold of and play with goes on the top few shelves.
Everything else goes on the bottom few shelves.
Wink

anonymom

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 12:21 am
Quote:
And my kids' favorite is their section, on a shelf about tummy high for them and in a basket. I have snacks they can have anytime there. Even my 1 year old can get it himself! (Cereal portioned into baggies, raisins, fruit leathers, crackers preportioned, etc.)

Amitalmaia-that is adorable! Your 1 year old helping himself to snacks!

Marion

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 12:30 am
I'm Tupperized. To be fair, I used to sell the stuff, and it IS cheaper at "cost".
From top to bottom in my pantry:
I have one shelf that's all baking stuff (and overflowing);
one shelf is pasta/rice/hot cereal and behind those containers are my sauces and canned goods.
One shelf down are all the snacks & dried fruit;
Below that is the "overflow" (unopened packages of flour, sugar, pasta, rice...)
Bottom shelf are the drinks.

Amital

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 12:50 am
anonymom wrote:
Quote:

Amitalmaia-that is adorable! Your 1 year old helping himself to snacks!

I sure think so, but then again, that's part of my job as Mommy, isn't it? Very Happy He brings me (or his big brother) a snack from their basket and says "Pees, pees, ope!" sometimes signing along, and we open it, and off he goes on his merry way. (He about 18 months now.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics