Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Taking Little kids to shul
Previous  1  2  3

greentiger

Post Mon, Jun 30 2008, 1:23 pm
I would like to quote on of my sem rabbis on this. He was is a mashgiach in a very big yeshivah and claims that most the issues of bochrim not wanting to daven are from the boys that were forced to go to shul as kids.

greentiger

Post Mon, Jun 30 2008, 1:27 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

BTW, a great time to teach kids about shul I have found is simchas torah day -- in between dancing and Kol Hanearim, when the men are getting aliyos, the kids either need to be quiet or leave the shul until it's time for their aliya. My older son stayed quietly in shul this past year for that time with no problems...

My sister (like me) is very against bringing kids to shul. A couple months after simchas torah she had this discusion with her kid:
"Where is aba?"
"he's in shul"
"whats he doing there?"
"dancing."
It was then she realized that the kid must think every davening is a "simchas torah"

Clarissa

Post Mon, Jun 30 2008, 1:41 pm
greentiger wrote:
I would like to quote on of my sem rabbis on this. He was is a mashgiach in a very big yeshivah and claims that most the issues of bochrim not wanting to daven are from the boys that were forced to go to shul as kids.
I guess it depends on the kid. Mine has always begged to go to shul. He always wants to tag along with his dad, wherever he's going. There have been periods where he's good at davening, other times where he'd rather read a book he's brought.

I generally don't bring his little brother, because he has a different temperament, and also won't nap in the stroller when he gets really tired.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Jun 30 2008, 1:46 pm
greentiger wrote:

My father forced all of us to go to shul Exploding anger and all of us are different in that aspect as well as others Confused .

baseballmom

Post Mon, Jun 30 2008, 2:01 pm
I find it incredibly distracting when people's kids are crying, yelling out, or talking loudly during davening. And yes...if your kid is making noise and you are in the middle of shemona esreh you s hould stop davening and take your kids out! It disturbs the whole shul! I think kids who can sit quietly can come to shul. Otherwise, come for adon olam and kiddush - that's what I alway send up doing from the time my kids are 15 months until about 2 1/2...We get out of the house, but we don't disturb the other mispallelim.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics