Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
I hate chol hamoed

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 2:01 pm
I just hate it. The house is flying the kids want
to go somewhere exciting everyone ends up being frustrated and getting on everyone's nerves. I just want to run away.

amother
Tealblue

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 2:02 pm
Same
I love YT but I hate CH.

amother
Hyssop

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 2:05 pm
amother OP wrote:
to go somewhere exciting everyone ends up being frustrated and getting on everyone's nerves. I just want to run away.

Any way to hire cleaning help for a few hours to control the chaos?

Also, might be helpful to have an honest discussion with your kids about what kinds of exciting plans are and are not doable. Staying home all day isn't really an option unless you bring the entertainment to your house. Find something that works and GET OUT OF THE HOUSE. Best course of action for everyone's mental health.

amother
Anemone

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 2:06 pm
My kids are alwayssssss hungry. Besides my kid who actually needs to gain weight. He isn't hungry. I'm happy this year for less CHM. I don't hate it, but easier for me to have more chag/Shabbos with scheduled meals.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 2:16 pm
amother OP wrote:

I used to be like that until I made a plan.
I have no plans as of now for the rest of the day. Amd that's what we planned. Lol.
We had a cleaning lady this morning so the house is clean. That's my CH treat.
I threw in a load of shabbos clothes so we have what to wear second days. The kids played in a looong bath, then they had hot chocolate with a treat. Now they are taking turns playing gameboy and riding bikes. I'm taking a break drinking my coffee.
My kids ages range from 1-10.
Chol hamoed is chill family time. If we get to go to a fun place that's extra.
We do take the kids randomly throughout the year to amusement parks and on trips. So they aren't desperate to go somewhere special on chol hamoed. They also know wherever we go will be so full and they'll have to wait till forever. And that's not fun. One year we went to I think billybees and it was full there was a 2 hour limit the kids were disappointed.
We might travel to another city tomorrow to go visit my sister and her son, dil, and grandson who are here for the first time from isreal.
We shall see...

Point is, plan it out with your kids so they know what to expect. And we plan to chill!

One year when they were smaller we bought a huge clicks set and we played together on the playroom floor for hours.
Another year we bought an electric jeep car type toy and they rode around with it. We still have it and the kids still enjoy it a TON. Best $120 we spent on a toy. It's the gift that keeps on giving....
Another year we traveled 45 minutes to the closest toys 4 u and bought our kids their afikomen. The excitement was unebleiveable.
Another time we went to a dumb playground and they LOVED it.
We have our backyard playground (the kids barely use) and we don't have any parks around here cuz everyone has their own. So a public playground is amazing!

If mommy is calm and happy (chocolate and coffee always help!) And they know what the plans are and what to expect l, then the kids will be too.

amother
Anemone

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 3:00 pm
amother Jetblack wrote:
I used to be like that until I made a plan.
I have no plans as of now for the rest of the day. Amd that's what we planned. Lol.
We had a cleaning lady this morning so the house is clean. That's my CH treat.
I threw in a load of shabbos clothes so we have what to wear second days. The kids played in a looong bath, then they had hot chocolate with a treat. Now they are taking turns playing gameboy and riding bikes. I'm taking a break drinking my coffee.
My kids ages range from 1-10.
Chol hamoed is chill family time. If we get to go to a fun place that's extra.
We do take the kids randomly throughout the year to amusement parks and on trips. So they aren't desperate to go somewhere special on chol hamoed. They also know wherever we go will be so full and they'll have to wait till forever. And that's not fun. One year we went to I think billybees and it was full there was a 2 hour limit the kids were disappointed.
We might travel to another city tomorrow to go visit my sister and her son, dil, and grandson who are here for the first time from isreal.
We shall see...

Point is, plan it out with your kids so they know what to expect. And we plan to chill!

One year when they were smaller we bought a huge clicks set and we played together on the playroom floor for hours.
Another year we bought an electric jeep car type toy and they rode around with it. We still have it and the kids still enjoy it a TON. Best $120 we spent on a toy. It's the gift that keeps on giving....
Another year we traveled 45 minutes to the closest toys 4 u and bought our kids their afikomen. The excitement was unebleiveable.
Another time we went to a dumb playground and they LOVED it.
We have our backyard playground (the kids barely use) and we don't have any parks around here cuz everyone has their own. So a public playground is amazing!

If mommy is calm and happy (chocolate and coffee always help!) And they know what the plans are and what to expect l, then the kids will be too.

Your kids are young. I think that helps. I have similar aged kids. When they get older, I hear it gets harder. Right now, we have similar. Go to a new park (we don't have a yard at all, so we are often at public parks) and they are thrilled. Today, we went to a park that isn't new to them, but it is huge and so much fun and we went with a friend. There's a mini golf course there (not well-maintained unfortunately). Only residents get to play for free so it wasn't crazy busy.

Tomorrow, we plan on a hike and the beach. The kids love the beach. The hike might get a groan from my oldest, but it will be fun.

Erev Chag, if we get out early enough, we will likely go on cable cars. My kids are obsessed with them and they are super cheap. Bus fair. 5.90 NIS and kids under 5 go free.

My kids also like fancy trips and we do similarly and try to go during the year often for birthdays.

Overall, they are mostly confused about CHM so they don't have these major expectations. Mommy, is it Pesach still?! Mainly my 4 year old. She wants another leil haseder. (We are in Israel so we only had one.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics