Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Why does my potato kugel taste raw ?

Ima-to-angels

Post Mon, Sep 26 2005, 3:53 am
Every time I make it, it tastes the same - raw. It cooks for hours, its seasoned well, but for some reason it has that raw potato taste. What am I doing wrong!!

I grate the potatoes, add an egg, matzo meal, seasoning (incl. dried onions) a bit of oil and put in the oven. It looks delicious - smells good - tastes, well, like raw potatoes!! Help!

sarahd

Post Mon, Sep 26 2005, 4:17 am
What kind of potatoes are you using? You need to use starchy potatoes. Some potatoes (I.e. the kinds you would use for potato salad) have very little starch and are firm when cooked. In a kugel, they would probably not bake properly and would stay firm, not become creamy. That could give a raw effect.

How many potatoes are you using relative to the eggs? I use 1 egg per pound of potatoes (or 2 eggs per kilo). If you're using too few eggs, that could also be a reason.

Also, at what temperature do you bake it? I do it at 225° (celsius).

Ima-to-angels

Post Mon, Sep 26 2005, 6:54 am
I have no idea what sort of potatoes they are... I buy them in bulk. Didn't notice a name on them.

I use the same egg/pot. ratio.

I baked it at #4 which is around 180. Maybe too low ?

I think the type of pot. is the answer... Thanks.

RivkaS

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 11:07 am
Does the Problem still exist?
you have to heat the oil before you are adding it to the potatoes - it has to give the frying-effect when coming into contact with the potatoes!!!
Let me know if you tried it.
Rivka

elisecohen

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 11:20 am
Are you using russet potatoes or the smooth kind? Also, maybe frying the onions first would help?

RivkaS

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 12:18 pm
Sorry I don't know the different potatoe types here, in Israel it is the "red" typ that does stay firm when cooked and no I don't fry the potatoes before - don't do that. The hot/boiling oil should do that when mixing and than baking, otherwhise it does not give this effect.
Rivka

youngmom

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 12:58 pm
I bake my potato kugel on 425 for about an hour and a half. it comes out nice and crispy.

Tefila

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 1:15 pm
I bake mine at 400 for an 1 1/2hr and it comes out just fine. maybe if you have a problem how about lowering your oven temp and letting it bake for longer?

RivkaS

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 4:10 pm
In Israel and Europe that is 200C and 1 hour is good.

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 4:34 pm
My potato kugel didn't taste raw, but it's been missing something (some people love it, but not me) and I followed the recipes scrupulously.(Purple cookbook). I asked my SIL how she gets her kugel so moist and creamy smooth. Answer: The hot oil, plus she adds a grated zuchinni or carrot (optional) and the main thing: I found out she uses more eggs! 7-8. I always used 6 max. I tried her eitzos, and it was takeh geshmak! Tongue Out

hadasa

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 4:41 pm
My m-i-l adds one cooked, mashed potato to the raw potato mixture.

cindy324

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 9:42 pm
Hadasa , that's a new one, I haven't heard that yet. While we'reon the subject, what's the ratio of eggs to potatoes, could someone give me an idea?

stem

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 9:49 pm
I usually do approx. 1 egg per 2 potatoes. So a recipe of 8 potatoes would have 3-5 eggs depending on my mood.

shanie5

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 11:24 pm
stem- wouldnt that depend on the size of the potatoes?

stem

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 11:26 pm
Yes, that's why I put in 3 eggs and then see what the consistancy is, I don't like it too eggy, but not enough eggs is also not good. So it's usually around 4 eggs per 8 potatoes, give or take 1.

Tefila

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 11:31 pm
I add carrots plus lots of garlic incl the salt and pepper plus the onion I fry b/4 hand. Once ones made something a zillion times acc to recipe they can experiment by modifying the recipes which I've done on a few of them and only continue and post b/c it gets rave revues
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes