Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Ushpizin (the movie)
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

miriam

Post Thu, Oct 27 2005, 1:37 pm
What age do you think would be appropriate for kids to watch the movie?

hadasa

Post Thu, Oct 27 2005, 1:57 pm
I guess it depends how sheltered and innocent they are. My oldest is 11, and I know I don't want him to see it yet. He'll probably end up seeing it despite my opinions, in camp or something. Confused

shanie5

Post Thu, Oct 27 2005, 6:19 pm
a friend who is a movie buff (and has worked as a movie critic too gave us some backround on ushpizin

the actor is a bt. a director came to him and wanted to do another movie w/ him he said "no, are u crazy, I cant"
"why not" "cuz not only do u have to have kosher for me, youll need kosher for the entire crew, no one can work on shabbos etc." the director wanted this enough that he said he would get the actors rav a cell phone, so if they had any questions whatsoever they could contact him easily.

the result is the movie uspizin.
I dont know when or how, but id like to see it sometime

Motek

Post Thu, Oct 27 2005, 8:28 pm
and the couple in the movie are a real-life couple (otherwise they wouldn't be acting together)

they became frum together, as a married couple

he was a famous actor before becoming frum, she's new to acting (and did amazingly well)

they have a bunch of kids

I don't think this movie is for those under 15 (though there are probably exceptions). Why? Because it's about adults and adult issues and I think children should be children and not exposed to adult concerns. See Medved's book that I recommended in another thread:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obi.....lance

shayna82

Post Thu, Oct 27 2005, 10:31 pm
wow interesting.. yeah I agree about the mature issues things... its not for kids under 15...

Motek

Post Fri, Oct 28 2005, 11:49 am
hadasa wrote:
He'll probably end up seeing it despite my opinions, in camp or something. Confused

as a PG rated film, I would hope not! That would be a nerve!

Rivka

Post Sat, Oct 29 2005, 4:48 pm
never heard of it...sounds interesting, I take it, that is was made by a Jewish company, because otherwise if it was made my holywood I would be embarassed to watch it.

Rivka

Post Sat, Oct 29 2005, 4:50 pm
Oh about 15 year olds not watching it, depends on your 15 year old really. If you let them watch other movies, I don't see why not. Kids are "older" now then they were a decade ago.

carrot

Post Sat, Oct 29 2005, 7:09 pm
Motek wrote:

I don't think this movie is for those under 15 (though there are probably exceptions). Why? Because it's about adults and adult issues and I think children should be children and not exposed to adult concerns.

are you referring to the fact that they are having a hard time having children? if so, I don't understand that reason. because we tell kids stories of people who had this porblem, so the went to the rebbe, etc., all the time... how is this different?

hadasa

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 2:10 am
It's not the fact that they don't have children. It's the way they talk about it, the way they relate to eachother, the way she leaves him, and many other things that I would prefer my children don't see......yet.

Obviously, if a child has seen non-Jewish movies, this one is nothing, but some of our kids are more sheltered than that.

Motek, my kids go to camp with mostly non-Frum kids, so the counselors might consider this a good alternative to showing "other" movies.

Motek

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 6:12 pm
hadasa wrote:
It's not the fact that they don't have children. It's the way they talk about it, the way they relate to each other, the way she leaves him, and many other things that I would prefer my children don't see......yet.

I agree.

Quote:
my kids go to camp with mostly non-Frum kids, so the counselors might consider this a good alternative to showing "other" movies.

Again, I think it would be a nerve for counselors to show a PG movie without the parents' consent. Counselors should be directed by a Camp Director and the Camp Director should get permission from parents before showing a PG rated film.

chen

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 6:17 pm
100%. The P in PG stands for PARENTAL Guidance.

carrot

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 9:11 pm
hadasa wrote:
It's not the fact that they don't have children. It's the way they talk about it, the way they relate to each other, the way she leaves him, and many other things that I would prefer my children don't see......yet.

I didn't think about that angle. now that you mention it, I agree, it is not appropriate for young kids to see the inner tension in their marriage. which is a major theme in the movie.

hardwrknmom

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 11:55 pm
my parents saw it. They said it was amazing and a "must see".

supermom

Post Mon, Oct 31 2005, 2:40 am
hadasa wrote:
It's not the fact that they don't have children. It's the way they talk about it, the way they relate to eachother, the way she leaves him, and many other things that I would prefer my children don't see......yet.

she leaves him not because they don't have kids it was because he lied to her and had criminals in their house somewhat the whole succos without her knowing it and somewhat endangered them. it has nothing to do with kids. and even so when a person doesn't have kids don't you think it does bring tension to any relationship life is not dandy.

hadasa

Post Mon, Oct 31 2005, 11:50 am
I'm sorry, supermom. Either you are totally misunderstanding me or I am totally misunderstanding you.
Quote:
she leaves him not because they don't have kids

I didn't mean to imply that was the reason she left him. I said that my objection has nothing to do with their childlessness.
Quote:
and even so when a person doesn't have kids don't you think it does bring tension to any relationship life is not dandy.

neither did I say anything to contradict that.

I agree that the issues are real and realistic, I agree that the movie is moving, enjoyable, educational and Kosher - for adults.

chen

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 2:40 pm
I saw it and saw nothing unkosher. I would not show it to little kids b/c most of the characters smoke, there is quite a bit of drinking, and a mildly scary violent scene or two. It's fine for anyone over 13 or so. There is nothing objectionable about the childlessness issue--the way that subject is treated in the movie is appropriate for even young children.

imaamy

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 5:48 pm
I don't know that it would hold my childrens' attention, particularly the one who can't read subtitles! I thought it was a great film, but I didn't care for all the smoking and drinking either. It might give older American kids a skewed sense of Israelis because I felt at the first part of the movie most of the characters came across as fools.

Tefila

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 6:30 pm
I would love to see it or buy cd but don't know how since I'm in yehupitzville of canada?

Motek

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 6:34 pm
did you check the website to see if it's playing in your area?

maybe it's something your shul would want to show
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics