Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
I guess this is yichud, how can I make it OK?

Busybee5

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 9:42 am
I have a frum guy fitting my new kitchen now, he's here on his own.
I'm here with my baby, my cleaner is coming soon and I'll be out but with either of us it's yichud. If my front door is unlocked (left on the latch) is this ok?

enjoying kids

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 9:47 am
I'm no rav
But if your husband is local and could potentially show up, it's ok
Otherwise you need the door to actually be wide open

Blessing1

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 10:00 am
enjoying kids wrote:
I'm no rav
But if your husband is local and could potentially show up, it's ok
Otherwise you need the door to actually be wide open

I was told that a crack open is enough. OP, if your husband is not local, ask a sheila.

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 10:26 am
Is the frum man married? Is your cleaner a non jewish woman? (meaning, she has no halachic issue with yichud, just the jewish man does)

If so, I believe the door being cracked open and the frum man knowing where his wife is may resolve things for him with respect to yichud.

Likewise, for you re: yichud, I think the door cracked open and your dh being in town is ok.

Busybee5

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 11:57 am
Thanks for all replies.

I've no idea if he's married or not, he's a young ish chassidish guy so very likely, but I'm not asking!
My dh is in town, and he's about a 15 min drive away. Technically he can come home at any time although usually doesn't.

When I went out, and my cleaner was here I left the door open. It was still open when I got home so iyh I didn't do anything wrong Smile

Busybee5

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 11:58 am
Yes the cleaner isn't Jewish, just the kitchen fitter is.

giftedmom

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 11:59 am
Busybee5 wrote:
Thanks for all replies.

I've no idea if he's married or not, he's a young ish chassidish guy so very likely, but I'm not asking!
My dh is in town, and he's about a 15 min drive away. Technically he can come home at any time although usually doesn't.

When I went out, and my cleaner was here I left the door open. It was still open when I got home so iyh I didn't do anything wrong Smile

Sounds ok to me according to what I learned

enjoying kids

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 12:02 pm
Keep on mind that these halachos are for your protection. I've had a frum medical professional compliment my appearance in a way that made me uncomfortable.

balance

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 12:26 pm
I was told that once during the time he is there, your husband should make a point of walking in unexpectedly. So if he's there for a week, once during the week but without telling you when he may come. That's enough.

Busybee5

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 1:27 pm
balance wrote:
I was told that once during the time he is there, your husband should make a point of walking in unexpectedly. So if he's there for a week, once during the week but without telling you when he may come. That's enough.

Ah okay good to know but the truth is we can have other workers popping in at any given moment, without any warning still. So it's at least an open house like that for now (hate it!)

Boca00

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 1:38 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
Is the frum man married? Is your cleaner a non jewish woman? (meaning, she has no halachic issue with yichud, just the jewish man does)

If so, I believe the door being cracked open and the frum man knowing where his wife is may resolve things for him with respect to yichud.

Likewise, for you re: yichud, I think the door cracked open and your dh being in town is ok.

Regarding the man knowing where his wife is, I learned that his wife actually needs to be with him. For a woman it’s enough if her husband is in the city, knows where she is, and could come any time.

content

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 1:40 pm
If your husband is in town then it isn’t yichud.

lostmyoldSN

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 1:42 pm
content wrote:
If your husband is in town then it isn’t yichud.

This is what I learned provided you don't have a relationship with the man. If you are close, it's a problem. But it doesn't sound like OP has that.

I also learned his wife has to be with him or IIRC 5 minutes away literally about to walk in. Not same city.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions