Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
I know this guy! (Stand By Serial in Family First)
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Winterberry

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 10:00 pm
She should have refused.

amother
Aconite

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 10:03 pm
I wonder who sent the texts. Maybe the chavrusa again??

amother
Seafoam

Post Sat, Mar 25 2023, 11:32 pm
Okay, this weeks chapter made me so for Dassi

amother
Aconite

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 8:06 pm
https://mishpacha.com/stand-by-chapter-15/

This week was posted on the website

amother
Ballota

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 12:25 am
amother Aconite wrote:
https://mishpacha.com/stand-by-chapter-15/

This week was posted on the website

Only the beginning. Can anyone fill us in?

amother
Aconite

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 2:02 am
amother Ballota wrote:
Only the beginning. Can anyone fill us in?

If u have a login, u can see the full story
I think u just create an account

juggling

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 3:28 am
amother Denim wrote:
True point. The actual reason why older single girls often stay away from frum clothing stores aren't because of salesladies ignoring them, it's because of other customers shopping there who stare, make comments, and just generally make them feel uncomfortable (or people who know them and obviously ignore them because they feel awkward and don't know how to talk to them). Somehow, the pitfalls of unexpected and awkward encounters always seemed more intense than running into other frum stores like groceries or such.

Just a funny anecdote, once I was maybe in my early 30s, and happened to be visiting in another (I'll leave it nameless, but it is quite a large one) frum community in a different state. I had an extra pocket of time and decided to try shopping in a frum ladies store because I figured what were the chances I'd bump into anyone I knew, and I'd just be an anonymous shopper and I could actually look through racks of frum clothing in relative anonymity without worrying about an awkward exchange. OMG, I never experienced such staring in my life. Clearly, I was not from around there, clearly I was not a young unmarried girl, obviously I was an "older single". The women there literally stopped looking through the racks and just stared at me when I came in. You could almost see the wheels turning in their brain, who was I, how old was I, why would I be there, maybe I was visiting to go out with an older guy and if so, who???

(all of the above is why the author needs to do more research)

How would people know you weren't married? Depends on the community, but if someone obviously over 30 doesn't have her hair covered they probably thought you were modern or not frum. Which would explain the staring (even though of course staring isn't okay) - nothing to do with being married or not, you just looked like you didn't belong.

amother
Winterberry

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 10:24 am
Can someone recap?

amother
Aconite

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 8:14 pm
Here's the link to this week's chapter:
https://mishpacha.com/stand-by-chapter-17/

amother
Aconite

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 6:01 pm
Here's this week's chapter:
https://mishpacha.com/stand-by-chapter-19/

Finally someone is taking sense into Dassi. Now if she would only listen to reason!!!

amother
Aconite

Post Wed, May 10 2023, 12:22 pm
Oh My Gosh
Not cool this week
https://mishpacha.com/stand-by-chapter-20/

Java

Post Wed, May 10 2023, 12:25 pm
This serial is moving further and further away from realism
I know it's fiction but it's still starting to get to me

amother
Winterberry

Post Wed, May 10 2023, 3:33 pm
amother Aconite wrote:
Oh My Gosh
Not cool this week
https://mishpacha.com/stand-by-chapter-20/

It only shows part of it. What’s Dassi’s conclusion?

amother
Steel

Post Wed, May 10 2023, 3:43 pm
Java wrote:
This serial is moving further and further away from realism
I know it's fiction but it's still starting to get to me

Nope I still love this serial but this chapter is ahhhhh

amother
Daphne

Post Wed, May 10 2023, 3:50 pm
SPOILER ALERT

SPOILER ALERT

I’ve always appreciated the fact that frum dating has us agreeing to marry the person prior to the public proposal, if there is a public proposal. He really entrapped her and it’s awful. She better break the engagement.

SPOILER ALERT

SPOILER ALERT

BusyMama1

Post Thu, May 11 2023, 10:30 am
amother Daphne wrote:
SPOILER ALERT

SPOILER ALERT

I’ve always appreciated the fact that frum dating has us agreeing to marry the person prior to the public proposal, if there is a public proposal. He really entrapped her and it’s awful. She better break the engagement.

SPOILER ALERT

SPOILER ALERT

Anyone else feel like there's no way they are going to actually get married?

I'm just wondering how the breakup will go.

I think this story is getting stranger and stranger IMO

Chayalle

Post Thu, May 11 2023, 10:41 am
amother Daphne wrote:
SPOILER ALERT

SPOILER ALERT

SPOILER ALERT

SPOILER ALERT

Agree. The very public, spontaneous, unexpected proposal is as red a flag as it gets. It puts her on the spot and makes it difficult for her to refuse a proposal she hadn't agreed to yet.

I happen to know someone who was pushed into a proposal by the girl's side! Her family set it up such that he found himself roped into an engagement he hadn't intended. He broke it off.

amother
Winterberry

Post Thu, May 11 2023, 11:33 am
Chayalle wrote:
Agree. The very public, spontaneous, unexpected proposal is as red a flag as it gets. It puts her on the spot and makes it difficult for her to refuse a proposal she hadn't agreed to yet.

I happen to know someone who was pushed into a proposal by the girl's side! Her family set it up such that he found himself roped into an engagement he hadn't intended. He broke it off.

Sounds like his MO… Controlling, manipulative. He saw that she was having doubts, and wanted to back her into a corner.

juggling

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 1:01 am
BusyMama1 wrote:
Anyone else feel like there's no way they are going to actually get married?

I'm just wondering how the breakup will go.

I think this story is getting stranger and stranger IMO

There is no way they're going to get married. It just wouldn't work well for the format of the story. There are obvious red flags. If she ignores it and they get married and we don't see what's next, there's no resolution. And it would be too drawn-out to focus on their messy marriage journey, after this whole long dating story. At some point in the next few chapters he will do something awful and she will break it off.

birdie1

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 10:54 am
juggling wrote:
There is no way they're going to get married. It just wouldn't work well for the format of the story. There are obvious red flags. If she ignores it and they get married and we don't see what's next, there's no resolution. And it would be too drawn-out to focus on their messy marriage journey, after this whole long dating story. At some point in the next few chapters he will do something awful and she will break it off.

I'm kind of afraid of what he will do to her reputation if she breaks it off.
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room