Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Confirmation Bias and the internet
Previous  1  2  3  4

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Apr 23 2023, 10:12 am
ora_43 wrote:
... and now we've come full circle, and are back at the topic of this thread. Yes, social media 'censoring' by controlling what people see is a problem. As I've said since my first post on this thread.

Government censorship would also be a problem, but
1. the suggestion that government is full-on banning certain topics is largely nonsense - literally every concrete example that's been given so far is something I can easily find in seconds.

The fact that google makes the "mainstream" results one-sided, and you have to specifically look for the other side - that's the more insidious problem, and worth talking about without the same 2-3 posters bringing in their hatred of any and all things Democrat into literally every thread.

2. foreign government interference is also a problem. Hard not to notice that people are just repeating their same talking points without addressing that issue. If human traffickers are deliberately targeting people at the border with misinformation, if Russia is deliberately stirring up debate over topics like vaccines - which both Left and Right agree is happening - what do you think the US government should do?

It's OK if the answer is "nothing" but when people just ignore the question it looks like they aren't interested in real conversation.

1. Government doesn't have complete censorship control YET, but that is what is coming if Democrats are not defeated.

2. Even some censorship is enough to swing elections!!!

40% of voters never heard about hunter Biden laptop due to censorship. And it would have changed their vote.

3. Biggest danger is totalitarian Government, not foreign interference.

American citizens can post on internet virtually anything, even if it is foreign Disinformation.

What should US government do?

Present FACTS to prove their case.

Re: vaccine safety, government and pharmaceutical industry refuse to DEBATE anti vaxxers, instead want to CENSOR.

That is evidence they are lying.

shoshanim999

Post Sun, Apr 23 2023, 10:17 am
#BestBubby wrote:
1. Government doesn't have complete censorship control YET, but that is what is coming if Democrats are not defeated.

2. Even some censorship is enough to swing elections!!!

40% of voters never heard about hunter Biden laptop due to censorship. And it would have changed their vote.

3. Biggest danger is totalitarian Government, not foreign interference.

American citizens can post on internet virtually anything, even if it is foreign Disinformation.

What should US government do?

Present FACTS to prove their case.

Re: vaccine safety, government and pharmaceutical industry refuse to DEBATE anti vaxxers, instead want to CENSOR.

That is evidence they are lying.

I'm confused by her post as well. I think she's saying that because the censorship is less than 100% it doesn't count.

Laiya

Post Sun, Apr 23 2023, 10:56 am
Laiya wrote:
I'm confused about the premise of this thread. Which algorithms are being referred to?

Because at this point it's uncontroverted that google does not merely respond to search inputs but skews results with the intent of influencing voters to the left. Many, if not most or all, of the other large search engines do the same.

Unless the OP is referring specifically to Tiktok. Tiktok has kept its algorithm secret, but it's been accused, via dozens of lawsuits, of intentionally steering people toward extremist content based on their preferences.

Chickensoupprof

Post Sun, Apr 23 2023, 11:01 am
?Maybe do some genocide for the democrats... that would be a good idea.

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Apr 23 2023, 11:12 am
Chickensoupprof wrote:
?Maybe do some genocide for the democrats... that would be a good idea.

Are you claiming that anyone here suggested that??

And there is a huge difference between Democrat VOTERS who are mostly good but misled by
Lies/propaganda and truth hidden by censorship,

And Democrat LEADORS who have a secret evil agenda.

Chickensoupprof

Post Sun, Apr 23 2023, 11:16 am
#BestBubby wrote:
Are you claiming that anyone here suggested that??

And there is a huge difference between Democrat VOTERS who are mostly good but misled by
Lies/propaganda and truth hidden by censorship,

And Democrat LEADORS who have a secret evil agenda.

Dear, how can I be a Democrat? I'm Dutch. I vote in the NETHERLANDS you know where that is? Not in America! We have a totally different political system. My husband is American though but he doesn't care anymore for weird American politics.

Laiya

Post Sun, Apr 23 2023, 12:07 pm
ora_43 wrote:
Government censorship would also be a problem, but
1. the suggestion that government is full-on banning certain topics is largely nonsense - literally every concrete example that's been given so far is something I can easily find in seconds.

To clarify, government is and has been "full-on banning" certain topics, or certain viewpoints, on major social media platforms.

But that's not a problem because the government is not "full-on banning" those topics everywhere on the Internet?

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Apr 23 2023, 1:30 pm
Chickensoupprof wrote:
Dear, how can I be a Democrat? I'm Dutch. I vote in the NETHERLANDS you know where that is? Not in America! We have a totally different political system. My husband is American though but he doesn't care anymore for weird American politics.

Darling, I never said you were a Democrat.

I challenged your insinuation that Republicans would like to Mass murder Democrats -

you used the word GENOCIDE - did you not???
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics