Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Do we need a diaper pail?

AlwaysGrateful

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 9:26 am
Is a diaper pail really necessary? Dh wants to just use a trash can with a lid. We usually take out the trash every day, but on Sat/Sun for example, we don't - so the Friday diapers would sit tehre for three days. We're not especially particular - but will using a regular trash can really stink up the room?

(Also, if we do get a diaper pail, we'll probably be getting a diaper champ. It uses regular garbage bags. Any feedback on how good it is and how worth it?)

TIA!

BennysMommy

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 9:28 am
The diapers of a newborn don't really smell much. It wasn't until my son started eating solids that I wished I had one. It's no big deal either way. As long as you don't leave the diapers sitting there too long a garbage pail with a cover will be more than fine.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 9:30 am
Can you define "too long," though? Would Fri night diapers sitting until Monday morning be "too long"?

If we're going to want a diaper pail when the baby is older, may as well get one now...right?

Aidelmom

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 9:31 am
I use a garbage can w/ a lid in the bathroom. It works out fine. Is there a diaper pail that doesn't smell when you open it up? If so it might be worth it.

sky

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 9:36 am
I agree newborn diapers really do not smell and can go in the regular garbage and can stay there for 2-3 days. Once they start eating solids or turn 6 months they start smelling. Unless the can seals very well even staying in the house for an hour can smell really bad.
I have the old diaper genie and it is a pain because you need 2 hands to operate. I hear the newer ones are easier.

Tehilla

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 9:38 am
as others said, newborn as long as breastfeeding doesn't smell. once they start smelling, I buy scented diaper bags for the dirty ones and just toss them in the trash can with a lid enclosed in a nice bag. we empty our trash daily.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 9:44 am
I never had one. I always save shopping bags and put the diaper in there first.

shopaholic

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 10:56 am
I used to have a diaper genie with kid #1 but it broke so I never replaced it. Now, I have a small can in my room & as newborn diapers dont smell, DH empties it every 1-2 days when it fills up. The smaller the can, the less it will sit filled in your room.

supermommy

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 11:01 am
we never used a diaper pail. We just had a small garbage can for newborn diapers and when the baby was old enough to eat solids and soiled fewer diapers we just wrapped the dirty diaper in a shopping bag and disposed of daily.

dmmama

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 11:08 am
I have a diaper champ and I like it a lot. The thing with a covered garbage can is that you have to open the cover to put in the new diaper... not a problem with a newborn, but as they get older, some of the diapers are REALLY stinkky. So what happens if you have a major stinker Fri night? Every time you open teh can the rest of shabbos, you will stink up the whole room!

Lady Godiva

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 11:18 am
I had a diaper pail with one of my kids. It was horrible because every time I changed the bag, the can stunk!!! Now I just bag the diaper and put it in the regular can. I change my garbage bag every night. If I'm having people over, I usually try to be extra careful and throw the diaper (bagged) in the can outside because I'm paranoid that my house will smell. embarrassed

greenfire

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 11:24 am
well rule of thumb - diapers in a kitchen garbage is just gross Puke Puke

have a bathroom garbage with a lid ... simple and effective ... put them in there ...

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Jul 02 2008, 12:17 am
Special diaper pails seem like a real waste of money. A regular trash can with lid works just fine for us. If your concern is diapers sitting from Friday until Monday... well, don't let them sit so long. Is there a particular reason garbage can't be taken out during that time span?

AlwaysGrateful

Post Wed, Jul 02 2008, 9:43 am
Yes. We live in an apartment, and they don't take out the garbage over the weekends. The closest dumpster isn't very close, so it would mean driving the trash out there on erev Shabbos and Sunday morning...which I dh could do if necessary, but it would be nice if it wasn't a necessity.

Tehilla

Post Wed, Jul 02 2008, 9:48 am
to be totally honest, I've been in several homes where they do use a diaper pail. when you get close to the pail the smell is overpowering and gross.

I seriously recommend these little powdered diaper bags that we use. then toss that bag into the regular garbage, and just empty that one more often.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics