Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Ami Pesach Supplement
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Black

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 10:28 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
The Binah main magazine was excellent!
Which magazine has that Sobibor story?
There was also another picture of Jennie Miller Faggen as an elderly woman posing with the Kamenetsky family.

I did enjoy this issue of Binah-- felt they really upped their game/writing/articles of interest.

The story about Sobibor was in Ami, I believe.

I am glad Mishpacha had the picture of Jennie Miller, as said previously, she deserves to be remembered by the klal (and a visual makes more of an impression than just a write up alone) especially as she left no descendants. But what I found especially interesting is that the Kamenetzky family gave their full family photo to be published, not just the men, which is a clear, significant stamp of approval from the highest of yeshivish circles that their rabbanim do not have an issue with published photos of women.

giftedmom

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 10:43 am
Binah story supplement was about shidduchim. Again. It always is. At least the Ami wasn’t so there’s that. I found the kallah story hilarious.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 10:44 am
groisamomma wrote:
Silly and unrealistic. Who writes that stupidity? They need a new job ASAP.

Same author who wrote the Crossroads/Roadblocks (I think that's what it was called) serials.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 11:47 am
groisamomma wrote:
Silly and unrealistic. Who writes that stupidity? They need a new job ASAP.

Maybe you should apply for an editorial job there. You could tell them you’re the final word on what constitutes good writing (along with some other Imas on here).
How about you write a story for us here, and we’ll give you our opinions.

My point is-I don’t think stories written well or not is such a vital topic that we need to hurt people who are known in real life to others on here; and likely some of these writers themselves are on here, too.

farm

Post Mon, Apr 17 2023, 12:46 am
amother Amaranthus wrote:
I am very upset at the story about the anorexic girl. It basically said that a person can recover as long as they have a will to live and autonomy over their decisions. As someone with a sister suffering from anorexia for many years, I wish it were so simple. False information about anorexia is so dangerous and harmful.

I don’t think you are being fair. The specific approach to help the anorexic patient in the story was a super minor detail. The point was the cardiologist was suggesting a new approach, since the multiple previous attempts of forcing her into a program where she will be force-fed obviously wasn’t the answer. And that also wasn’t terribly important. The point was the cardiologist’s perspective shifted after insight from the social worker she was dating. If anyone IRL would take this as an appropriate evidence based treatment plan for someone with anorexia, that would be really foolish.
I think this one was my favorite story from the Calligraphy.
רפואה שלמה , רפואת הנפש ורפואת הגוף to your sister Hug

amother
Amaranthus

Post Mon, Apr 17 2023, 12:58 am
farm wrote:
I don’t think you are being fair. The specific approach to help the anorexic patient in the story was a super minor detail. The point was the cardiologist was suggesting a new approach, since the multiple previous attempts of forcing her into a program where she will be force-fed obviously wasn’t the answer. And that also wasn’t terribly important. The point was the cardiologist’s perspective shifted after insight from the social worker she was dating. If anyone IRL would take this as an appropriate evidence based treatment plan for someone with anorexia, that would be really foolish.
I think this one was my favorite story from the Calligraphy.
רפואה שלמה , רפואת הנפש ורפואת הגוף to your sister Hug

I hear you, but I disagree. You need to be extremely cautious around the topic of anorexia. Being that it is a mental illness, it would be highly inappropriate for a cardiologist to give advice in regard to the psychological aspect of the disease. Obviously nobody is forming treatment plans based on a magazine story, but being that anorexia is so complex and misunderstood, it can lead to an incorrect perception of the disease.

amother
Valerian

Post Mon, Apr 17 2023, 4:12 am
I am usually a huge Calligraphy fan. To be fair, the quality of the writing was good - but who on earth approved the topics????? I'm all for serious issues, but so much of this was plain depressing and totally unsuitable for a relaxing Yomtov read. Very disappointing.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Mon, Apr 17 2023, 6:10 am
amother Valerian wrote:
I am usually a huge Calligraphy fan. To be fair, the quality of the writing was good - but who on earth approved the topics????? I'm all for serious issues, but so much of this was plain depressing and totally unsuitable for a relaxing Yomtov read. Very disappointing.

Some of the stories had sad themes, but I didn't think they were all sad. I liked most of them.

amother
Leaf

Post Mon, Apr 17 2023, 1:57 pm
I love devorie kreiman

amother
Lightpink

Post Mon, Apr 17 2023, 2:04 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
The Binah main magazine was excellent!
Which magazine has that Sobibor story?
There was also another picture of Jennie Miller Faggen as an elderly woman posing with the Kamenetsky family.

Which articles in Binah did you enjoy? I liked the one about keeping Hashem in our lives and businesses. Good reminder!

amother
Leaf

Post Sun, Apr 23 2023, 7:27 pm
Didn’t get to read the ami pesach edition until now 😳
I was very surprised ay how heavy and even dark much of it was. And while initially seemed intriguing found the article about the gold rush pioneers so sad. Almost all very assimilated such a sad story. Not inspiring.
Best was Dina Neumann last page. Found some inspiration there.
Really like Ami but found this very disappointing so much so that felt compelled to post this long after pesach.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Sun, Apr 23 2023, 8:59 pm
I LOVED the story abt the "mother of Yeshivos" and loved that it was in depth and included pictures of her.
I really, really, did not like the Ami story supplement. It was so juvenile, I literally handed it to my 13 year old son to read the story abt the Yeshiva boys ending up in Saudi Arabia- I mean, how dumb do they think we are?
I actually did enjoy the calligraphy.
As far as the rest of the magazines- I am still getting through them, but finding them enjoyable reads. You know what I really regret not buying? The Yated. It is cheaper, and has great content, and I have to start reading it again.

amother
Lightpink

Post Sun, Apr 23 2023, 9:41 pm
amother Hawthorn wrote:
I LOVED the story abt the "mother of Yeshivos" and loved that it was in depth and included pictures of her.
I really, really, did not like the Ami story supplement. It was so juvenile, I literally handed it to my 13 year old son to read the story abt the Yeshiva boys ending up in Saudi Arabia- I mean, how dumb do they think we are?
I actually did enjoy the calligraphy.
As far as the rest of the magazines- I am still getting through them, but finding them enjoyable reads. You know what I really regret not buying? The Yated. It is cheaper, and has great content, and I have to start reading it again.

Agree, Yated is great 👍

amother
Leaf

Post Mon, Apr 24 2023, 12:18 am
Really disappointed by the kallah story and the others as well (except for the first one by devoirie kreiman)

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Mon, Apr 24 2023, 1:03 am
amother Leaf wrote:
Really disappointed by the kallah story and the others as well (except for the first one by devoirie kreiman)

The first one was written pretty well but you could see a mile away how it’s going to end.

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Apr 24 2023, 8:36 am
I liked the kallah story and I thought at the end when she realized she was tricked she was furious and it foreshadowed a miserable marriage. My sister thought it wasn't that deep and that she was annoyed at being tricked but intimately realized her parents were right and she would be happy in the marriage.
What do you guys think?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 24 2023, 9:03 am
amother cornflower wrote:
I liked the kallah story and I thought at the end when she realized she was tricked she was furious and it foreshadowed a miserable marriage. My sister thought it wasn't that deep and that she was annoyed at being tricked but intimately realized her parents were right and she would be happy in the marriage.
What do you guys think?

Could go either way.

schoolbus

Post Mon, Apr 24 2023, 9:14 am
amother Ghostwhite wrote:
The first one was written pretty well but you could see a mile away how it’s going to end.

Can you remind me what the first story was?

amother
Leaf

Post Mon, Apr 24 2023, 10:13 am
The first story was about the husband and wife the husband was honored st thst dinner and the wife ran out upset before the end of his speech…only to find out later he did give her all the credit eloquently and sincerely.
As for the kallah story…sounds like the marriage will be good and that the author bff and aunt think they know how to handle the kallah. Ugh
Even though I appreciate a happy ending I’m not a fan of “tricking” people even “for their own good”.
They couldn’t have said “breathe deeply and once relaxed imagine he broke it off etc how would you feel?” This is a classic tool during shidduchim even to help one access their true feelings.
Life with this kallah may prove challenging and couldn’t they have gotten her therapy prior to this? Sounds like quite an old pattern for her. Doubt her Dh will appreciate it.
Agree with your sis — kallah was relieved to be marrying her chosson

it’s okay!

Post Mon, Apr 24 2023, 10:14 am
schoolbus wrote:
Can you remind me what the first story was?

The wife works really hard to set up a software or something for the stores her husband distributes to. He gets involved in a lot of chesed and is honored at an event. He gets up to give his speech and she hears him saying how hard he worked. She gets hurt that he didn’t give her any credit so she runs out of the ballroom. In the end she sees a clip and realizes that she missed the end where he said everything he just said couldn’t have happened without his wife. The end.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room