Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Working mom

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 9:09 am
I live in Lakewood and I have 3 little kids ages 5 3 and a baby. I'm a teacher a few times a week. Very often I need to stay home with a kid thats not feeling well. Most of my coworkers are older and do not have this issue. I always feel like its only me thats missing school and I feel guilty about it. But what am I supposed to do?

hodeez

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 9:12 am
You're doing what you have to do. If someone else can watch them great, but I'm assuming that's not your case.

happy chick

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 9:18 am
It is what it is. When they hired a young mom , they had to expect some sick days/appointments. So long as you're not taking advantage, and using any other resources you have when available, there's not much you can do bout it.

singleagain

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 9:29 am
You don't mention a husband... But it's he available to take time off when the kids are sick or have appointments?

amother
Bergamot

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 9:48 am
I think that sometimes you need to stay home with a sick kid, but I'm not sure where your husband is in all this. I work from 9:00 to 4:00. I have four children under the age of 10. I barely ever take off for a sick child. Maybe once a year. My husband and I split those days very often. He'll go to work in the morning and I'll go to work in the afternoon or vice versa. We try to work it out that both of us don't miss too much work because of the kids appointment or a sick child.

Also, I'm not sure how often your kids are getting sick, bh My kids aren't sick that often...

You also don't mention the hours you're working, I think if you're working a half a day like most teachers do, it's not okay to take off so often for a sick child. You find someone to watch them for those few hours that you teach.

amother
Calendula

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 10:47 am
amother Bergamot wrote:
I think that sometimes you need to stay home with a sick kid, but I'm not sure where your husband is in all this. I work from 9:00 to 4:00. I have four children under the age of 10. I barely ever take off for a sick child. Maybe once a year. My husband and I split those days very often. He'll go to work in the morning and I'll go to work in the afternoon or vice versa. We try to work it out that both of us don't miss too much work because of the kids appointment or a sick child.

We also usually have a similar arrangement where we take turns. Sometimes we'll do a day each, sometimes half a day. But we're both in flexible jobs where we can be more flexible with the hours we do. Also dh can do some of his work from home. Not everyone though has a husband around, or one that is able or willing to take their turn.
I know some people whose kids are always getting ill and it's really hard. I can understand the people who tell me that it's not worth working because they would just have to be taking off work the whole time.

amother
Brickred

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 11:09 am
Im going to put it out there that it could be that at this point in time, with your kids getting sick so often and not other options, it may be that teaching is not the right job.
I know that teaching and working in schools is convenient because of the hours, and the fact that you get vacations when the kids are off.
But as a parent, I get very frustrated when my kids teachers are constantly taking off for non emergencies.
I'm not blaming you at all. But your constant absences means that my kid isn't learning (let's face it. If they are lucky enough to have a sub and the classroom is not upside down, they're not learning the material).

Maybe at this time, a job that is more flexible and allows some working at home, or working in evenings is more appropriate for your stage in life

amother
Oleander

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 11:17 am
Working as a teacher means it’s only a few hours that you’re not home. Some options that I’ve done:
Switch off with DH so that he covers the few hours that you’re out
If available - mother, sister, etc.
Hire a babysitter
It’s tough but we make it work.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics