Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
New Netflix show set in chassidish Antwerp

giftedmom

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 1:07 pm
Rough diamonds
Any thoughts? Besides for the fact that there’s lots of German masking as Yiddish which is annoying… at least there’s a plot besides for the classic otd story.

giftedmom

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 1:10 pm
https://youtu.be/q9T8hcU6TSE

giftedmom

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 1:13 pm
Flemish version
https://youtu.be/GNXmn6RYGSM

Amarante

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 1:16 pm
I started a thread on Sunday - I have only seen two episodes so far so I can't comment.

I thought the attempted blackmailing by informed of internet in a home was funny

Article was titled Shtisel Meets Godfather Very Happy

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....55162

giftedmom

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 1:26 pm
Amarante wrote:
I started a thread on Sunday - I have only seen two episodes so far so I can't comment.

I thought the attempted blackmailing by informed of internet in a home was funny

Article was titled Shtisel Meets Godfather Very Happy

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....55162

I haven’t watched godfather lol. But def some shtisel vibes. Shtisel did better in the language dept though.

sequoia

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 1:27 pm
This isn’t the prequel?

giftedmom

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 1:28 pm
sequoia wrote:
This isn’t the prequel?

No. It’s a thriller.

Amarante

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 1:28 pm
sequoia wrote:
This isn’t the prequel?

Rough Diamonds is a completely different story. A "thriller" set in the backdrop of the Antwerp diamond business.

I really know very little about Antwerp - is it really the center of major drug smuggling and money laundering that the policewoman said?

giftedmom

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 1:30 pm
Amarante wrote:
Rough Diamonds is a completely different story. A "thriller" set in the backdrop of the Antwerp diamond business.

I really know very little about Antwerp - is it really the center of major drug smuggling and money laundering that the policewoman said?

Doubtful. They do have big ports but so do many other countries like France etc. but maybe I just haven’t heard about it who knows.

Amarante

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 1:34 pm
giftedmom wrote:
Doubtful. They do have big ports but so do many other countries like France etc. but maybe I just haven’t heard about it who knows.

As far as I know all of the major ports have "issues" because it is impossible to really check with the amount of containers coming into every port.

I was just wondering if there was something in terms of border adjacent that made Antwerp easier in terms of flowing in and out.

At one time I had read that the USA was a relatively difficult target for FOREIGN terrorists (not domestic) because it was much more difficult to get out of the USA than it is in European countries because of the many borders close together and even proximity to Northern Africa from many southern parts of Europe.

giftedmom

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 1:39 pm
Amarante wrote:
As far as I know all of the major ports have "issues" because it is impossible to really check with the amount of containers coming into every port.

I was just wondering if there was something in terms of border adjacent that made Antwerp easier in terms of flowing in and out.

At one time I had read that the USA was a relatively difficult target for FOREIGN terrorists (not domestic) because it was much more difficult to get out of the USA than it is in European countries because of the many borders close together and even proximity to Northern Africa from many southern parts of Europe.

They’re all border adjacent. France, Germany… Spain and Gibraltar would be closest to Northern Africa if anything

Amarante

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 1:40 pm
giftedmom wrote:
They’re all border adjacent. France, Germany… Spain and Gibraltar would be closest to Northern Africa if anything

My comment on border adjacent was regarding terrorists and why it is easier for terrorists to escape in Europe versus in the US where there are not as many borders and not "friendly" nations easy to reach versus Europe

In terms of drug smuggling I don't think it matters - that is why I was surprised when the police singled out Antwerp as being particularly drug riddled.

giftedmom

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 1:52 pm
Amarante wrote:
My comment on border adjacent was regarding terrorists and why it is easier for terrorists to escape in Europe versus in the US where there are not as many borders and not "friendly" nations easy to reach versus Europe

In terms of drug smuggling I don't think it matters - that is why I was surprised when the police singled out Antwerp as being particularly drug riddled.

NY is way more drug riddled😂
It was for the sake of the show obviously
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics