Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Installing a washing machine in apartment. A/o done this?
Previous  1  2

amother
Gladiolus

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 1:49 pm
I'm in NYC in rent stabilized building. How old is your building?
Try searching here https://apps.hcr.ny.gov/BuildingSearch/
If it's built after a certain year, it is probably not.
Google is your friend.
You should call your management informed.
I pay $16 fee as another poster mentioned.
My apt already had the connection in the kitchen. We moved it thru the wall to a closet and it gets vented thru window. Really depends on your layout.

amother
Snow

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 1:49 pm
amother Slategray wrote:
Don't ask then they'll look out to see if you don't listen. Can an appliance store and find out which dryer doesn't need a vent and which washer can hook up to your regular water pipes in a bldg.
The important appliance is the washing machine, not the dryer and if you install a machine without permission you risk causing a disaster. If op causes a flood she will be out of an apartment as well as a lot of money. I can’t say I follow all of my landlord’s rules but that particular one I would never break.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 1:52 pm
I just found this.
Generally speaking, an NYC apartment is rent-stabilized if it is in a building that contains six or more units, was built before 1974, and isn’t a co-op or condo. However, it’s important to remember that prior to the 2019 legislation, units would fall out of rent stabilization once they hit a certain rent threshold. So, to find out if your unit is rent-stabilized, contact NYS Homes and Community Renewal (HCR) via phone or web portal and request a rent history

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 1:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
good to kno
you called a plumber correct?

Im nervous if management finds out. I heard a rumor they raise ur rent by $400 once u install a machine
I hate my apartment I just cant afford to move for over 7k

If mgmt raises your rent by 400. Thats almost 5K right there. Add in the cost of the appliance plus installation, its probably near the 7k mark.

Amarante

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 1:59 pm
amother Slategray wrote:
Don't ask then they'll look out to see if you don't listen. Can an appliance store and find out which dryer doesn't need a vent and which washer can hook up to your regular water pipes in a bldg.

As posted above, you can NOT simply hook up a washing machine to pipes in a rental without permission from the landlord.

This is not permitted under any lease and would be cause for eviction and you would possibly be liable. You could also be put in a list of undesirable tenants which are used by many landlords and management companies.

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 2:01 pm
amother Peachpuff wrote:
We have a portable washing machine. Is that an option for you? They arent so expensive.... It's not good for a big wash, but pefrect if your toddler has an accident or someone throws up, or your out of clothes for the next day..... You attach it to the sink when you use it, and then store in a closet so know one has to see or know you have it....

BLACK+DECKER Small Portable Washer, Washing Machine for Household Use, Portable Washer 1.7 Cu. Ft. with 6 Cycles, Transparent Lid & LED Display https://a.co/d/i8wMBg2

amother
Holly

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 2:01 pm
Can you look for an apartment without going through a broker? That might be cheaper than the cost of buying appliances and getting the hookup, especially if you're likely to havebyour rent raised to the same cost as an apt with washer.

It also just might be cheaper to send laundry out to a laundry service. They pick up and drop off laundry for you.

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 2:02 pm
What about using a service like Sudshare? It's like Uber for laundry.

amother
Holly

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 2:04 pm
Also, a lot of car seat covers can't go in the washer, they need to be hand washed anyway.

Amarante

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 2:04 pm
amother Gladiolus wrote:
I just found this.
Generally speaking, an NYC apartment is rent-stabilized if it is in a building that contains six or more units, was built before 1974, and isn’t a co-op or condo. However, it’s important to remember that prior to the 2019 legislation, units would fall out of rent stabilization once they hit a certain rent threshold. So, to find out if your unit is rent-stabilized, contact NYS Homes and Community Renewal (HCR) via phone or web portal and request a rent history

This is putting the cart before the horse. A landlord doesn’t have to grant permission to install.

However if the landlord permits, then they can only charge the surcharge,

Based on OP’s description it doesn’t seem this is even a rent stabilized unit. 🤷‍♀️

amother
Snow

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 2:08 pm
Amarante wrote:
This is putting the cart before the horse. A landlord doesn’t have to grant permission to install.

However if the landlord permits, then they can only charge the surcharge,

Based on OP’s description it doesn’t seem this is even a rent stabilized unit. 🤷‍♀️
Yes. People usually know if they’re rent stabilized.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 2:42 pm
We had a portable washer that hooked up to our bathroom sink and a small dryer that ran on a regular outlet for years in an apt. As long as I kept on top of the laundry it worked quite well.

Similar to https://a.co/d/dABcaYe

amother
Cinnamon

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 2:45 pm
Re a dryer
There are those that don't need a vent (I don't recommend), & if you need a vent you can vent through a window. I've done it for years as have almost all my neighbors when I lived in a building. Just open the window & hang out the vent, bring inside when done.

A washer can be connected to under the kitchen sink. It's far simpler & cheaper than a full hookup & works just as well, assuming of course that your landlord consents.

A portable washer is also a great second best option. There are decent sized ones that can be used for all your laundry not just in between laundromat trips. You can then hang dry. Way better than waiting for a week & then schlepping out.

STovah

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 2:53 pm
20 years ago I had a portable one piece washer/dryer combo. It hooked up to the bathroom sink and drained to the kitchen sink. As Amarante keeps reiterating, what the landlord can or can’t charge is irrelevant. As is the rent stabilization status of the apartment. You can’t install a washer and/or dryer without your landlord’s consent.

amother
Copper

Post Sat, Apr 29 2023, 10:48 am
amother Coffee wrote:
What about using a service like Sudshare? It's like Uber for laundry.

I wanted to suggest this also. Sounds like it will make your life much easier.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 29 2023, 8:23 pm
thanks soo much everyone
ill look up sudshare. can people steal laundry though?

I thought of this thread over shabbos...my son threw up on shabbos 3x... had to change him 3x, his sheets, he threw up on my duvet :/ stuffed everything in a garbage bag ach

I know one of my neighbors installed hers connected to the sink... her FIL is handy and did it for her though.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 29 2023, 8:25 pm
amother Holly wrote:
Can you look for an apartment without going through a broker? That might be cheaper than the cost of buying appliances and getting the hookup, especially if you're likely to havebyour rent raised to the same cost as an apt with washer.

It also just might be cheaper to send laundry out to a laundry service. They pick up and drop off laundry for you.

All the apartments here have a brokers fee its impossible to find one without unfortunately

amother
Coffee

Post Sat, Apr 29 2023, 8:30 pm
amother OP wrote:
thanks soo much everyone

The service comes with insurance for your laundry.

amother
Oleander

Post Sat, Apr 29 2023, 8:32 pm
amother OP wrote:
thanks soo much everyone

I thought of this thread over shabbos...my son threw up on shabbos 3x... had to change him 3x, his sheets, he threw up on my duvet :/ stuffed everything in a garbage bag ach

I know one of my neighbors installed hers connected to the sink... her FIL is handy and did it for her though.

The portable ones don't look like you need much knowledge to connect them
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry