Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
How to handle late gifts?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 7:29 pm
I neglected to give gifts to two newly married couples (children of friends of ours)
The first couple, we accidentally left the envelope at home and the second my husband couldn’t go last minute and since he usually handles it I totally forgot
Anyway. It’s been…..a while. Like 6 months-ish
And I’m just flat out embarrassed that I’m so late
I don’t have the young couples addresses, I would send/bring to their parents

Do I apologize for being late?
Do I even mention it?
Or just drop off at parents? (We usually give cash)
Or something else?
I’m assuming that late is better than not at all and now is better than later. But I’m so embarrassed… help me out!

amother
Charcoal

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 7:32 pm
Can you reach out to the parents and ask for the young couple's address? Just ask. You don't have to explain. I'm sure they will figure it out and if they are reasonable they will agree with me that it is much better to be late than not give at all. They will be happy their children will be getting a gift.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 7:33 pm
The best wedding gift we got was an envelope given to us 7 months after our wedding - the funds were so needed.

amother
Clover

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 7:36 pm
6 months is not so long. I'm sure the couples will be delighted to receive your gift! I would drop it off at the parents or call and get their addresses and send them a check. Whatever works. Better late than never!

singleagain

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 7:47 pm
I remember at almost my one year anniversary one of my neighbors said something like "oh I have your wedding gift at my front door" and I needed my mom to tell them to return it bc I was getting divorced.

Otherwise it would have been very thoughtful.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 7:51 pm
I’m sure most people have given gifts late at one point or another. They will be delighted.

gr82no

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 8:19 pm
I got a return card for months later saying I don’t want to waste the stamp wishing you a belated Mazel tov.
I got another one six months later with a check. I really appreciated and wondered why it was late but happy and touched.
Definitely give a gift. Maybe this time send a check so you can mail it.

happy7

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 8:26 pm
You can definitely still give the gifts. My daughter got gifts long after her wedding.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics