Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
More options for Sefardim in e"y or America
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

SG18

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 6:39 pm
I've been to Baltimore, there are a lot of Persians there. I don't know if there's another shul, as well.

amother
Heather

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 6:47 pm
amother OP wrote:
So seems the options in NY for a sefardi minyan are:
Queens
Bayswater
Flatbush

NJ:
Lakewood (what area of Lakewood though?)
Deal (wouldnt work. We're not syrian)

Then theres Florida (hollywood area), Chicago, Baltimore (I thought it was also Persian? I spoke to an old friend from seminary and she told me the shuls are persian there), LA (Persian), and Montreal which is another country and I dont think my license is even recognized there.

I think I might be missing one I have to reread this thread

It seems that Bayswater is also predominantly bucharian. Although there is a sephardi minyan in the Young Israel here that is more Israeli/sephardi. If you’re looking to move to a strong community, I’m not sure it’s the one.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 6:56 pm
amother Heather wrote:
It seems that Bayswater is also predominantly bucharian. Although there is a sephardi minyan in the Young Israel here that is more Israeli/sephardi. If you’re looking to move to a strong community, I’m not sure it’s the one.

maybe try cote st luc in Montreal there is a big morrocan community there
you can also try LA I know there is a sephardi community there as well

GOOD LUCK

keym

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 7:04 pm
amother OP wrote:
So seems the options in NY for a sefardi minyan are:
Queens
Bayswater
Flatbush

NJ:
Lakewood (what area of Lakewood though?)
Deal (wouldnt work. We're not syrian)

Then theres Florida (hollywood area), Chicago, Baltimore (I thought it was also Persian? I spoke to an old friend from seminary and she told me the shuls are persian there), LA (Persian), and Montreal which is another country and I dont think my license is even recognized there.

I think I might be missing one I have to reread this thread

Lakewood - the Sefardic shuls are 1)by Ridge/E7th area 2) spruce St, Marc and Forest Park area.
There are other sefardic shuls, but in both these areas, there are several shuls.

amother
Hunter

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 7:05 pm
amother OP wrote:
Im aware of the racism prevalent in many ashkenaz yeshivas. My husband went to israeli yeshivas and was called a "frank" by his menahel. I appreciate you telling me, no system is perfect...

This is much more common in Israel than anywhere in the U.S. I would be shocked to hear a Sephardic bachur learning in an Ashkenaz Yeshiva was called any name by a rebbe much less the menahel. My Ashkenaz boys learn with Sephardi boys and there’s no difference in the way anyone’s treated based on that. The rebbeim in the yeshiva mentioned where the acting head is Moroccan would be calling the Rosh Yeshiva’s grandkids names if that were the case. You won’t find this behavior in America. I know it’s part of the social structure in Israel. Only in Israel do you have the phenomenon of Sephardim changing their names to get their kids into mainstream Ashkenaz yeshivas.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 7:20 pm
So youre basically moriccan.
Do you have any idea how many Moroccan sephardim there are in Brooklyn?
A ton!
There are so many Moroccan/Israeli shuls , its beyond me how you don't know of them.
There are so many schools that you can send to. Youre kids will be accepted.
Flatbush sounds like the right place for you.
For starters, there is Rabbi Lankry shul, Rabbi Bouskilla , etc I can go on and on.
Orot Sarah is a girls school that it pretty yeshivish and has a nice percentage of sephardic parents who are Moroccan
You can send to an Ashkenaz school also, nothing wrong.
Also, if you are sephardic, why do you have to pray with Moroccan davka? Most of the sephardic shuls have the same nusach.
Good luck

amother
Crocus

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 7:26 pm
amother Hunter wrote:
This is much more common in Israel than anywhere in the U.S. I would be shocked to hear a Sephardic bachur learning in an Ashkenaz Yeshiva was called any name by a rebbe much less the menahel. My Ashkenaz boys learn with Sephardi boys and there’s no difference in the way anyone’s treated based on that. The rebbeim in the yeshiva mentioned where the acting head is Moroccan would be calling the Rosh Yeshiva’s grandkids names if that were the case. You won’t find this behavior in America. I know it’s part of the social structure in Israel. Only in Israel do you have the phenomenon of Sephardim changing their names to get their kids into mainstream Ashkenaz yeshivas.

My husband taught in a few yeshivish schools in NY/NJ and noticed it for himself. Teachers and menahel targeting Sephardi kids, being treated differently, called names... It's definitely a problem.
He and his brothers were bullied and targeted by teachers when they were in school, as well.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 8:12 pm
amother Oak wrote:
So youre basically moriccan.
Do you have any idea how many Moroccan sephardim there are in Brooklyn?
A ton!
There are so many Moroccan/Israeli shuls , its beyond me how you don't know of them.
There are so many schools that you can send to. Youre kids will be accepted.
Flatbush sounds like the right place for you.
For starters, there is Rabbi Lankry shul, Rabbi Bouskilla , etc I can go on and on.
Orot Sarah is a girls school that it pretty yeshivish and has a nice percentage of sephardic parents who are Moroccan
You can send to an Ashkenaz school also, nothing wrong.
Also, if you are sephardic, why do you have to pray with Moroccan davka? Most of the sephardic shuls have the same nusach.
Good luck

I mentioned earlier my parents arent frum. And when they do go to shul its ashkenaz. Why would I be holding in flatbush shuls? I never spent shabbosim there
My dh is the one that wants to daven in a moroccan/sefardi shul. And no the nusach is not the same in every sefardi shul.

I said earlier Im not makpid to send to sefardi schools.
I will look up those shuls and get the addresses. Do you know how I can go about finding apartments?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 8:13 pm
keym wrote:
Lakewood - the Sefardic shuls are 1)by Ridge/E7th area 2) spruce St, Marc and Forest Park area.
There are other sefardic shuls, but in both these areas, there are several shuls.

Thank you! I reached out to my friends SIL to see if we can maybe go for shabbos to her in lakewood to try out the shuls

amother
Oak

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 8:46 pm
amother OP wrote:
I mentioned earlier my parents arent frum. And when they do go to shul its ashkenaz. Why would I be holding in flatbush shuls? I never spent shabbosim there
My dh is the one that wants to daven in a moroccan/sefardi shul. And no the nusach is not the same in every sefardi shul.

I said earlier Im not makpid to send to sefardi schools.
I will look up those shuls and get the addresses. Do you know how I can go about finding apartments?

Your husband can come to Flatbush during the week and check it out.
Bnei Yosef is like a Sephardic minyan factory on Ave P and Ocean Parkway, maybe he can ask around and get a few leads.
There are a lot of real estate agencies, try Karen Behfar or Eva Shammah. They have Instagrams I think but maybe their contact info is online too.

amother
Opal

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 11:23 pm
amother Hunter wrote:

Racism is definitely a huge problem in yeshiva in the USA also

amother
DarkGreen

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 11:39 pm
I didn't read the whole thread but there is a minyan/shul in Cleveland (Beachwood) as well.

https://bkcscle.com/

Reality

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 12:50 am
amother Hunter wrote:

So you as an Ashkenazi mom can report there is no discrimination against sfardim? How would you know?

I am Ashkenazi with a lot of sfardi family and I worked in many different schools and programs in Brooklyn before making aliyah. The discrimination is real. You have no idea what the teachers and administrators say in the teachers room or in the office if you haven't heard it firsthand.

amother
Chicory

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 11:29 am
La has a nice sefardi community with many Israelis
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating