Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps
„Am I a bad person?“ strikes again

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 2:45 pm
From the OP of the „package from mom“ thread.
Am I a bad person if my teenager ends up having an imperfect sommer vacation?
She didn't get into a camp that she wanted. She won't go to any camps at all (13 y.o.)
She will have to do the family vacay with us which is less fun. Otherwise she will just hang out.

Will it be okay? I think she will eat me up out of disappointment and boredom, but it will be a scholl-free time in the summer all right.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 2:49 pm
She will be fine.

Is there a local day camp she can be a counselor in training at? (My dd has done this and actually it's great bc we're OOT and the counselors who come in are a whole new friend group, there are formal activities and hangouts for the staff---but she still gets to come home to sleep, for dinner (unless there's an activity that night), etc.

FWIW, I didn't grow up with sleep away camp. I was always home in the summer once I didn't need childcare. (but so were most of my friends) I survived, and I'm a pretty balanced and successful person.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 2:55 pm
amother Blush wrote:
She will be fine.

Is there a local day camp she can be a counselor in training at? (My dd has done this and actually it's great bc we're OOT and the counselors who come in are a whole new friend group, there are formal activities and hangouts for the staff---but she still gets to come home to sleep, for dinner (unless there's an activity that night), etc.

FWIW, I didn't grow up with sleep away camp. I was always home in the summer once I didn't need childcare. (but so were most of my friends) I survived, and I'm a pretty balanced and successful person.

I was too!
But I could read books for hours on end and my dd is not the same.
Thank you for the encouragement.

I need to find out about the counselor training.
Or maybe she can assist in a playgroup. She is great with kids.

zaq

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 3:06 pm
Not giving your DC everything she demands or wants does not a bad parent make. All human beings need to learn to cope with disappointment in a mature way, preferably while they're still young and learning is easier.

mushkamothers

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 3:11 pm
She should be able to make great money in a daycamp, playgroup or as a babysitter or mothers helper. Those are always in demand in the summer.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 3:18 pm
mushkamothers wrote:
She should be able to make great money in a daycamp, playgroup or as a babysitter or mothers helper. Those are always in demand in the summer.

This is a nice way to reframe it for her.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps