Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
How to make meat for charcuterie board?

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 10:21 am
Y’know those dried fancy meats you see on boards?

Is that something I can make, or something I need to buy, like deli?

Either way, what’s it called, how would I Google a recipe or ask for it at the market?

amother
Tanzanite

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 10:34 am
Question is how to cook/bake meat or how to set it up?

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 10:35 am
Google beef jerky recipes

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 2:07 pm
amother Tanzanite wrote:
Question is how to cook/bake meat or how to set it up?

How to cook it! What am I buying raw?

Or if I need to buy it ready made (like deli) what am I looking for in the store?

I’ve set up gorgeous boards with assorted deli, now I want those fancy meats too. Thanks.

URHL

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 3:10 pm
you can grill a london broil, you can do candied beef fry in the oven, you can harden your own salami Smile
I make jerky in a dehydrator but I think people do it in a slightly open oven? or maybe very low temp?

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 8:22 am
URHL wrote:
you can grill a london broil, you can do candied beef fry in the oven, you can harden your own salami Smile
I make jerky in a dehydrator but I think people do it in a slightly open oven? or maybe very low temp?

Candied beef fry sounds delicious! What kind of beef would I buy? And how do you cook it?

amother
Chestnut

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 8:48 am
Now a days anything could turn into a “charcuterie” board. It’s all in the presentation
I make a cheese board every year for Shavuot.
It doesn’t need to be expensive meats
I saw a chumus board on YouTube-
The main star was homemade chumus , then they filled the board with crackers, pita cut into triangles and toasted, cut colorfulveggies for dipping, olives in a small bowl, sun dried tomatoes in olive oil in another bowl, and they put out vegan deli meat store bought.
It’s all in the presentation
Start with the star of the show and build from there.

URHL

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 9:33 am
amother OP wrote:
Candied beef fry sounds delicious! What kind of beef would I buy? And how do you cook it?

You just buy packaged beef fry from the deli section, sprinkle with brown sugar and bake at very high temp until sticky and crispy, sometimes I add black pepper/red chilli flakes to make it sweet and spicy.
I've also made with lam fry... yum!

amother
Stoneblue

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 10:36 am
I've done candied kielbasa. Basically, slice it thin, coat with some.kind of sweet sauce like barbecue, duck sauce, ketchup, soy sauce whatever and bake single layer until.crispy.

You can also do a Hasselback salami. Busy in Brooklyn has a good one, look up drunken Hasselback salami

My personal favorite is smoked brisket, but I wouldn't know how to make that

Lots of spicy olives and little dill Pickles too. Yum.

anonymous1112

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 10:42 am
I grill lots of meats- skirt steak, cowboy, rib, oyster
Put some deli roll, hasselback salami, mini franks in blanks
And decorate it with assorted olives, pickles, mustard etc

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 11:27 am
URHL wrote:
You just buy packaged beef fry from the deli section, sprinkle with brown sugar and bake at very high temp until sticky and crispy, sometimes I add black pepper/red chilli flakes to make it sweet and spicy.
I've also made with lam fry... yum!

Thank you!

Excuse my ignorance, is beef fry the same thing as a package of pastrami or corn beef?

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 4:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you!

Excuse my ignorance, is beef fry the same thing as a package of pastrami or corn beef?

No but it does come in a similar vacuum packed package.

https://rocklandkosher.com/monsey/#!/hb/c/11612-0/c/11649-11612/c/12623-11649/r/6038/he/kosher-deli/kosher-meat/kosher-deli-sliced-meat/aarons-beef-fry-6-oz

amother
NeonGreen

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 5:11 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you!

Beef fry is the stuff that looks like bacon. Thin narrow strips of meat with white marbling.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note