Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
If you start choulent right before shobbos...update in op

naomi2

Post Fri, May 05 2023, 7:52 am
If you plug your choulent in right before shobbos, do you keep the crockpot on high or low. Mine is the kind that has 3 settings only. High, low, or warm. Does the high setting need extra water and how much? Does the low setting work to cook it without spoiling?
UPDATE: I plugged it in right before shobbos on low and it absolutely delicious and a perfect doneness shobbos morning and by the meal. I put in a regular amount of water, that is, water to cover all the ingredients.

Last edited by naomi2 on Sun, May 07 2023, 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total

Simple1

Post Fri, May 05 2023, 7:55 am
I do it on low.

bsy

Post Fri, May 05 2023, 8:19 am
We do low

Stars

Post Fri, May 05 2023, 8:31 am
We do high and add water till the top. Honestly it’s the kind of thing you have to experiment with to see what works best for you. Also aylor about turning it on right before shabbos. As far as I know it needs to be somewhat cooked before shabbos.

bsy

Post Fri, May 05 2023, 9:07 am
Stars wrote:
We do high and add water till the top. Honestly it’s the kind of thing you have to experiment with to see what works best for you. Also aylor about turning it on right before shabbos. As far as I know it needs to be somewhat cooked before shabbos.

No it does not. If there is completely raw meat before Shabbos, that's fine.

lovingmommy3417

Post Fri, May 05 2023, 9:14 am
Stars wrote:

My husband asked our rav and he said it is actually best if you either do it right before shabbos and it's raw or that it should be mostly cooked before shabbos. Mainstream yeshivish.

To answer OPs question: low

naomi2

Post Fri, May 05 2023, 9:24 am
Thank you all so much. I'll try low that seems to be the popular choice. I read about it in the mishpacha magazine recently. Miriam Cohen suggested it but it was just a little blurb and didnt specify settings. She said it was halachically allowed if it is completely raw.

imanonymous

Post Sat, May 06 2023, 11:45 pm
Our Rav told us that cholent needs to be completely cooked or almost completely raw when Shabbos.

We leave it on low.

biggirl6

Post Sat, May 06 2023, 11:59 pm
I learnt that cholent needs to be 3/4 cooked b4 shabbos(chassidish)

Blessing1

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 2:05 am
Stars wrote:

It actually needs to be either raw or cooked & edible.

s c

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 6:28 am
Low just before shabbos but each crackpot is different. My crackpot seems to be very hot even on low.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus