Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Herringbone vs straight wood floor planks

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 12:27 pm
If you've done it, about how much more was it to install? Is it that much nicer than installing the wood in straight lines? Do you think it was worth it? We're using medium size planks-Tia!

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 12:28 pm
We did it for our master bedroom. Our contractor said it was an extra $4200 or so. I love it and I think it was worth it.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 12:45 pm
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:
We did it for our master bedroom. Our contractor said it was an extra $4200 or so. I love it and I think it was worth it.

Oh wow, that's a lot of money! Does it make your room look bigger? More interesting? Anyone else had it done where the price difference wasn't as big?

amother
Grape

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 12:52 pm
I would steer away from anything that’s trendy with these kinds of things. Unless it’s a small area of your home, I would stick with classic wood

amother
DarkViolet

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 12:54 pm
They’re both classic. Wood is classic and herringbone isn’t necessarily new or trendy. I like herringbone but didn’t do it because of the extra cost. The floor looks fine but I can’t deny herringbone would have looked more interesting.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 12:56 pm
Another vote for straight plank. I remember back on the day when everyone had herringbone, I wouldn't say it gets old fast since it is pretty classic but it won't be interesting or especially desirable.

Amarante

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 1:05 pm
Herringbone is beautiful and classical but it does cost more because you need more wood and you also need a more expert person to do it because it is simpler to do straight planks. A poor craftsman will produce a terrible result just as a poor tile person will produce a poor result both functionally and aesthetically but poor workmanship won’t be as apparent with simple subway tiles with non-contrasting grout which disguises flaws. 🤷‍♀️

It really depends on your house. I think it looks most striking in a large open floor area with maybe a few area rugs so the floors make the statement. If you have smaller rooms with choppy spaces where most of the floor is covered by rugs or furniture, why bother.

As to cost, whether it is worth it depends on your budget obviously and whether the value of the house supports it. It would be over spending in an inexpensive home but would make sense in a high end home with other beautiful and expensive finishes. On the other hand, if you are living in the home and it brings you pleasure and you can afford it, why not🤷‍♀️

amother
Maple

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 1:39 pm
I think it looks dated unless the whole house is beautifully finished. If everything looks just so then yes it can look classic.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 2:55 pm
Thanks for all of the suggestions. It's a pretty big room because it's a combined living room/dining room, I thought it would give the room more life. The contractor suggested putting planks straight but of different lengths (btwn two and four feet) to do something a little different than plain straight that won't cost extra-has anyone done that? Any thoughts? It's really difficult to make these high pressure decisions!

Amarante

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 3:35 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks for all of the suggestions. It's a pretty big room because it's a combined living room/dining room, I thought it would give the room more life. The contractor suggested putting planks straight but of different lengths (btwn two and four feet) to do something a little different than plain straight that won't cost extra-has anyone done that? Any thoughts? It's really difficult to make these high pressure decisions!

FWIW high quality wood planks ARE different lengths. As part of the design, a good installer lays out the planks in a pleasing pattern. If they are factory finished, then they also mix them so that the colors and grains are aesthetically pleasing - real wood is not monolithic which is part of its charm and elegance.

This is also true if one is using marble as a good tile setter lays out the marble (if using tiles) so that the colors and patterns are harmonious.

Congresswoman

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 4:22 pm

I love herringbone. I think it looks expensive and less boring.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 4:50 pm
Amarante wrote:
FWIW high quality wood planks ARE different lengths. As part of the design, a good installer lays out the planks in a pleasing pattern. If they are factory finished, then they also mix them so that the colors and grains are aesthetically pleasing - real wood is not monolithic which is part of its charm and elegance.

This is also true if one is using marble as a good tile setter lays out the marble (if using tiles) so that the colors and patterns are harmonious.

Slightly different colors and grains-yes, but I'm worried mixing 2 to 4 foot length pieces will just look choppy.

Amarante

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 5:02 pm
amother OP wrote:
Slightly different colors and grains-yes, but I'm worried mixing 2 to 4 foot length pieces will just look choppy.

Different length planks are intentional and an upgrade. All one length planks look unnatural. If done properly in terms of someone laying them out, they look great and nit choppy at all.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics